Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

I'm new, and not sure where to go

TammieTammie Posts: 2

About a couple months back I started to feel really off, and at first I thought I was coming down with something, which I was, but I got over that. A few days after that I started to feel like I needed to see a doctor, which I did. My doctor first thought I might have had an infection so he sent me off to a gynecologist, and after doing some test informed me that I am in menopause. Other wise everything else came back a clean bill of health, it's always good to know that. I asked the doctor what are symptoms to be expecting, and she gave me quite a bit of information of what others have reported. I asked her how long does this last, and she told me up to a year.

My main problem is that I am extremely tired ALL the time. I've always had issues with insomina since I was a kid, but lately it has been really bad. The doctor told me about the hot flashes at night, which I have those, but what doesn't help is that my husband puts off a lot heat at night. Sometimes he puts out so much heat that it feels like my skin is burning when he comes into contact with me when we are sleeping. This in turns wakes me up, and I can't go back to sleep right away. Then a few hours later I will crash.

Then there are days, like today, that I would really love to bite someone's head off, and that I feel extremely on edge. I do pretty well in keeping those emotions in check, but once in a while they do slip out. I always warn my husband when I'm feeling that way, so he has a heads up, and leaves me alone during these periods, or knows why I'm a little more grumpy than normal.

I have taken suplements that are suppose to help with energy (my biggest issue), but they do nothing but cause me to be more tired and worn out.

Answers

• KazKaz Posts: 475 mod

Hello @Tammie ,

Welcome to the forum. It's nice to have you with us.

Being tired all the time is just horrible isn't it?

I'm so glad you got a clean bill of health, and it's good that the Dr has confirmed to you that you are menopausal. I guess my next question would be, apart from all the information she gave you, did your Doctor offer you any treatment? It would be good to know if you are taking HRT or any supplements.

Whichever route you choose to deal with your symptom depends on lots of things, but you should know there are plenty of options out there for you to try.

We've recently had Sleep Week on the forum, and we've been swapping lots of tips and tricks on getting to sleep, and staying asleep. I have a "hot" husband just like you, so I understand how frustrating that can be!

All the things you are describing will be familiar to a lot of the women on the forum. You're not alone!

I've attached links to one of the Sleep Week posts for you to read and some information from the Livebetterwithmenopause website that may offer some help.

Look forward to hearing from you again. 😊

• TammieTammie Posts: 2

Hello @Kaz ,

Thank you for the links, I'll be sure to read through those. My doctor hasn't put me on any thing yet, but I do have another appointment in a couple of weeks. I'll be sure to bring this up to them.

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 345 mod

Hi Tammie

Welcome. Would HRT be a route you would consider? It does help with a lot of the symptoms you have mentioned.

I can't take HRT at the moment but I do take citalopram for mood swings which really has helped and I take berocca every day for tiredness. Without both of these I would be in s real mess.

It can take time to find what is right for you but eventually you will come across something that makes you feel half normal again.

Let us know how you get on when you go back to see you GP X

• Donsonia12Donsonia12 Posts: 11

I have gone 10 months without a. period feel so awfully anixety so high panic attacks menopuse is taken over my life how long everyone else ge without a period