Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

No HRT

Karendt69Karendt69 Posts: 1

Hi

All new to this forum... so hi 😄

I finished chemo (which has brought on the symptoms of the menopause) radio for breast cancer almost a year ago now and have been taking Tamoxifen as the cancer was hormone receptive. Which means I cannot take HRT, I've been told I can take a mild form of antidepressant which can relieve the hot flushes etc. Which are sometimes unbearable. But not sure I want to go down this route?

Anyone got any suggestions... ? Any suggestions at all would be most welcome at this point ☹

Xxx

Comments

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 345 mod

Hi Karendt69

Welcome to the group. Very sorry to hear you have had cancer, I hope you are now in recovery? I also don't take HRT but I do take citralopram its an antidepressant but I take it for mood swings, if I didn't take it I probably wouldn't be here talking to you now, it really has been a godsend, it helps with the hot flushes too, I do still get them but not nearly as bad. I didn't realise how moody and horrible I was being to everybody around me until I started taking them, I now feel better than normal if that makes sense.

if you get restless legs which I find unbearable I've found that drinking a couple of glasses of tonic water works a day helps. it has quinine in that helps the muscle relax.

If you have got the stage where you know you need help then I would advise you ask your GP for medication, menopause can go on for years unfortunately and its really not worth fighting the side effects as well as everything else that goes along with this new journey in our lives.

I hope that helps :)

• KazKaz Posts: 475 mod
    edited March 2019

Hello @Karendt69

It's nice to have you with us!

What a lot to deal with! Hope you are now on the road to recovery!

I know some ladies who have been given low dose anti depressants to deal with things like flushes. Like most things, it may take a while to get one that works for you, but the key is perserverence! They do seem to take the edge off the horrible flushes, and they can also help with anxiety and low mood if that's an issue for you.

I think it would be great to ask our resident expert @Maryon_Stewart about the hrt free route for you. She had some great ideas and information regarding tamoxifen and supplements when she did the last Ask Me Anything session in the forum.

Just follow the link and ask your question. Maryon will respond in two or three days (perhaps even quicker!)

Hope this helps! 😊