Restless legs

Morning ladies.

What do you all use for restless legs? I've tried magnesium and it's not doing anything. It's driving me up the wall.

Any advise will be much appreciated :)

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 438 mod
    edited March 17

Hi Julie,

That sounds horrible!

Do you take magnesium as a tablet? Maybe it would be better as a spray applied directly as an alternative if so? Or B12? I'm B12 deficient and it's one of the symptoms for that I thankfully don't have!

Hope you something that helps! ☺

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 130 mod

Hi kaz.

I've tried both. The tablets didn't do anything and the spray made my legs feel really dry and crunchy lol it was horrible. I had restless legs about 6 months ago and then it stopped but now it's every night and driving me mad. The only thing that seems to calm it down is tramadol but I don't want to take that unless the arthritis in my hips gets bad.

If I could shake my legs until they fell off I would 😁

That's rubbish isn't it!!!

I wonder why it stops and starts like that? I know what you mean about the spray - it didn't feel nice, but I guess if it worked you'd put up with the crunchy feeling!

Tramadol seems a bit drastic I agree..... Bad enough you need it for arthritis (does that help you sleep?)

I wish I had some flash of inspiration that could come up with something to help you.. we just have to hope someone else has some better ideas!

Sorry!!! 😳

No it does nothing for sleep. It doesn't even get rid of the arthritis pain, I think it just makes you feel fuzzy so you don't think about the pain and allows me to get to sleep.. if that makes sense :)

Yes. That makes sense.

Thought sleep might be a welcome relief as a side effect! I remember the woozy feeling, so it just seems wrong that you don't get any pain relief as such.

Let's hope the holiday cocktails and a bit of sun helps! 🌞🍹

Morning

I had some interesting conversations with people regarding restless legs, it seems that tonic water is meant to really help, a paramedic actually confirmed this as it contains quinine which helps RLS and cramps also I've been told that sex is great, something in endorphins and orgasm helps. who knew lol :)

I didn't suggest tonic water because I thought that was for leg cramps. My Dad used to swear by that and had a glass of tonic water before bed every night (YUK!) I guess I didn't associate restless legs with cramps, but that just shows you I'm not entirely sure what it involves. A friend used to say her legs were "fizzing" and itchy and sore. Whatever it is, it sounds like a pain!

Sex works eh? 😂 😂

• sheilaesheilae Posts: 27 mod

Hi Julie20!

A great shame that magnesium is doing nothing for you....since I’ve been on a nightly tablet, my regular leg cramps have totally ceased & my quality of sleep has improved!! Mind you...restless legs I guess are a different issue but equally as irritating when you’re trying to sleep!! I definitely have heard about the quinine contained in tonic water to be very beneficial with leg issues so for sure you must try it out & please let us know!! Best of luck with Schweppes or whichever LOL 😂👍💕

I can say that tonic water does actually help. I've been drinking 2 glasses a day and have just realised that my legs haven't been annoying me..

👍 Thumbs up for Quinine :)

• Sparkalee222Sparkalee222 Posts: 1
    I suffer so badly at night with this, I have to get up and down at least 3/4 times per night and am getting really sleep deprived.  It feels like electric shock shooting down one or both legs, once I am up and concentrating on something else it stops.  Magnesium tablets have not helped so I have just purchased a revitive machine which aims at improving circulation, puffy feet etc.  It was not cheap at £125.00 but I am desperate now, it will take a few weeks before I notice an improvement but if it works I will let everyone on here know.
    Oh @Sparkalee222 - at that price I have my fingers and toes crossed that it works for you!
    Is it an old wives tale that you put a bar of soap at the bottom of the bed to help with restless legs?
    My dad always took the glass of tonic water that @Julie20 recommends. He used to swear by that. Can't think of anything worse, unless it still counts if you have gin in it!
    Hope the Revitive machine works. I look forward to seeing some good news from you! 😊
    I suffer so badly at night with this, I have to get up and down at least 3/4 times per night and am getting really sleep deprived.  It feels like electric shock shooting down one or both legs, once I am up and concentrating on something else it stops.  Magnesium tablets have not helped so I have just purchased a revitive machine which aims at improving circulation, puffy feet etc.  It was not cheap at £125.00 but I am desperate now, it will take a few weeks before I notice an improvement but if it works I will let everyone on here know.
    Hi @Sparkalee222
    I can honestly say that the bar of soap in the bed really does work. I didn't think it would but I swear by it now. Just slip it under your sheet form near your legs and boom.. no more restless legs :) 
  • Ruthy66Ruthy66 Posts: 2

I had restless legs for years but didn’t know why. After blood tests showed I was low in iron and folic acid my GP put me on a course and my restless legs stopped!