Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Depression and menopause

Jaydee1984Jaydee1984 Posts: 1

Im really struggling.Having been on antidepressants for the last 20 yrs.

Recently I am feeling so low in mood apathetic lack of enthusiasm energy.so bad when it hits me then it goes i feel so out of control.

Would HRT help ?

Comments

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 345 mod

Hi Jaydee1984

I'm sorry you are feeling so low at the moment, have you spoken with your GP about how you are feeling? antidepressants like everything else need changing from time to time as your body gets used to them they are not as effective so it may be time to change them or like you say try HRT. Are you still having periods?

I've chosen to try the non HRT route currently but I am taking citalopram as I know if I didn't I would be behind bars :) its working really well for me but I have only been using it for about 6 months.

I think you need to make an appointment to see your GP and discuss your options, HRT varies on if you still have periods or not, a lot of ladies will say that it started their periods off again for a short amount of time but my gynae told me that's normal as its your body adapting.

Good Luck

let us know how you get on :)

• KazKaz Posts: 475 mod

Hello Jaydee1984,

I'm so sorry you're feeling so low at the moment.

Like you, I've been dealing with depression for twenty years or so, and I get how debilitating and exhausting it can be. At it's worst I was off sick from work for nine months. The only reason I mention that, is to let you know that I really understand how bad it can get. I've been free of anti depressants for two or three years now, but I'm really aware that depression is something that always ticks away in the background for me, and I have to work really hard to keep on top of it. You CAN get it under control, but you need help to do that.

I think Julie is right, and it would be a really good idea to go and review your current symptoms with your GP. If you have menopausal symptoms, then by all means have a chat about them too, but at this stage, the most important thing is to speak to someone about the way you are feeling and get some help.

Please stay in touch and let us know if we can do anything to help you. 😊

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 345 mod

Hi jaydee 1984

How are you feeling now? Did you manage to get an appointment with your GP for a review?

X

• Donsonia12Donsonia12 Posts: 11

I have had depression after I had my my kids 26 years ago I still can’t get rid off it I drink gearbaltea that my what doctor told me to do

• KazKaz Posts: 475 mod

@Donsonia12 I think the thing with depression, is that it's always there in the background. As you get older, you get far better at recognising the signs and dealing with it. I've had depression for more than twenty years. Now managed without anti depressants. I keep it in check with supplements, exercise and self awareness! Mostly that works, but there are still times it catches you unawares! 😊

• Donsonia12Donsonia12 Posts: 11

I Have learnt what to do when I get a bad panic attack sometimes it’s still hard