Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Anxiety and confidence

TraciATraciA Posts: 3

im suffering from dreadful anxiety and lack of confidence. I have had shingles for the past 6 weeks and I think it is because I am so anxious. My confidence at work has gone and I am questioning everything I do . I am fearful I will loose my job dispite no concerns raised I’m in a senior management role and have done my job for many years . My GP just want to take bloods and give me antidepressants, I’m on HRT, I had dreadful postnatal depression and fear I will start feeling the same way. I feel helpless .

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 475 mod
    edited March 2019

Hello TraciA,

Thanks for sharing your story.

Shingles for the last six weeks? You poor thing! I remember how miserable that made my sister a couple of years ago. I hope you're beginning to recover 😊

Anxiety as you're describing it is a fairly common symptom in menopause/perimenopause, so the first thing to know is that you're not on your own! Try not to feel helpless. I've suffered with anxiety and low mood as a result of the menopause too, and like you I'm on HRT. Whilst that takes care of a lot of the symptoms I was having, I have continued to take a supplement called 5htp and magnesium. The 5htp is for low mood and anxiety, and the magnesium is for aches and pains and to help me sleep. I didn't want to go down the anti depressant road again. I'd been on them in the past and I didn't feel they were what I needed this time round, I've had great results with both supplements. I firmly believe that a lack of sleep makes everything, especially anxiety, and in my case migraines much worse, and the 5htp has definitely lifted my mood and kept it stable.

If you're already taking anti depressants, then you should NOT take 5htp, but otherwise, it might be a good option to try. Other ladies use lemon balm, rescue remedy, lavender, chamomile etc, but the reality is that what works for one person might not work for you, and It's definitely a case of "try it and see" .

The main thing is that there ARE things you can try, and if you're feeling low, come back to the forum and speak to us. We'll always try to help if we can 😊

• TraciATraciA Posts: 3

Thank you . I’m currently on a low dose antidepressants for migraines but will try the other suggestions.

• KazKaz Posts: 475 mod

Have you been considered using a mindfulness app at all? I felt a bit daft using them at first, but I now use them regularly, they help me get to sleep (big plus!), and they also help me quiet my mind when I'm beginning to get stressed or anxious.

I'm currently using the Clarity app that we are featuring on the forum. I'd recommend the breathing section. Just a few minutes at a time could make all the difference for you. The worst that can happen is that you get some relaxation time to yourself!

@Becks_Armstrong , the founder of Clarity, and an expert in menopause issues is really helpful and may be able to guide you towards something that could help not only with with your anxiety but other menopause symptoms too. 😊

• Becks_ArmstrongBecks_Armstrong Posts: 33 Menopause Mindfulness Expert

Hi TraciA, I'm really sorry to hear both about your shingles and also your dreadful anxiety. I know that it can be tough when you're in a management position, so let's see if we can't help you take a couple of steps towards getting some control back and lowering your anxiety a little. As @Kaz has mentioned it is a very common symptom of menopause to have anxiety and has given some great suggestions (thanks also for the shout out about the app 😉) .

Firstly start by being a little kind to yourself. This happens to lots of us, so make sure that you start looking for little ways to give yourself a little self care. 😍

To add to what Kaz was saying about the breathing, you can start in the morning when you wake to do some breathing exercises. You can do it when you are in bed or sit upright and breath but if you can just spend 5-10 minutes breathing slowly and concentrate on the cycle in and out of your breath it can really help to lower your cortisol (stress hormone) levels and set you up with a good start to your day. We do have a couple of sessions in the app to listen to if you would like to check them out (at the bottom of the sleep pack) but you can also just spend some time quietly connecting with your breath. As Kaz says taking a minute or two in your day to close your eyes and do some mindful breathing can really help you start to feel better, it doesn't take long.

When you go to bed at night write down 3-5 things you are grateful for that day - it needs to be specific and something that happened that day. This starts to help you think about positive things before you go to sleep, which can then in turn help you sleep, which will help with your anxieties. Go slow and be kind to yourself.

I wish you all the very best and if you have any questions about mindfulness or using the app do let me know.

Facebook - hey_clarity
    Insta - @hey_clarity 
    Twitter - @hey_clarity

Check out the Clarity app on iTunes & Google Play