Tell us about your sleep routine

hessomhessom Posts: 112 Community Admin

Sleep is an ever important aspect of our health, but many menopausal women experience symptoms that affect their! How many hours of sleep do you get a night? Or maybe you’re sleeping more in the day? How have things changed since you started going through the menopause and what have you tried to get a good nights sleep? Tell us all about your sleep routine!

Tagged:

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 439 mod
    edited March 15

Of all the things you have to deal with when you approach the menopause, up there at the top of my list as one of the worst things, is insomnia. The trouble with a lack of sleep is that it becomes all consuming. It's all you can think about, which makes it so difficult to get out of the cycle of not sleeping. Just a few, short years ago, I was making do with 2 to 3 hours a night, working 40-50 hours a week in the care industry, looking after a family with five kids and two dogs, and I was permanently stressed and exhausted.

These days, with the help of HRT, some supplements and a bedtime routine that I try not to alter, I have the luxury of 5 hours sleep a night, which doesn't sound like much at all, but is a massive improvement on days gone by.

I try to go to bed at the same time every night - usually around 11pm. The windows have to be open. There's a fan "just in case". My new alpaca duvet helps keep my temperature regulated, and with the help of HRT, magnesium and 5HTP, the night time flushes are now minimal, and I am sleeping much better. When I get into bed, I start my mindfulness app on a sleep programme. There are lots available, and I have used Headspace, but I am currently trying Clarify (from @Becks_Armstrong, one of our Ask Me Anything experts on the forum) and I am having really great results with that. The app lets me "switch my head off,", and I rarely make it to the end without falling asleep! I was sceptical when I first started using these apps, but I find they really work well. If I wake-up during the night for any reason, I pop the app back on to help me get back to sleep, and it makes such a difference. I also make sure that I get up at the same time, even on weekends.

It seems like a lot of work just to get a night's sleep, but when you've been sleep deprived for any amount of time, when you find something that works, you stick with it!

Good luck to everyone out there trying to get a decent night's sleep 💤

• SmcSmc Posts: 4

Hi , I have been postmenopausal for a while now, & my sleep pattern seems to be getting worse , & although I don’t get night sweats as such, I get really hot at night , & wake up such a lot during the night , seems to be a vicious circle , wondered if anyone had any tips they could give me ?

Hello Smc,

Welcome to our forum!

It's so exhausting if you don't sleep well isn't it? I used to get so stressed about it, and in turn, the more stressed I got, the less I could sleep. As you say, it's a vicious circle!

I am a firm believer in routine, routine, routine. If I deviate from the routine, then the sleep starts to slip again. Now though, if I have a bad night I try not to obsess about it, because when I stress about it, it turns into two bad nights and three bad nights, etc, etc, etc...

I go to bed and get up at roughly the same time every day, including weekends.

My window in the bedroom is always open, so the room is always cool.

I have a new alpaca duvet which helps to regulate the bed temperature, and a fan and chillow on standby for the hotter months, or the nights when the heat gets to me or I have a headache. There's nothing nicer than putting your head on a cool pillow when you're overheating! On the bedside table I always have water in a flask that keeps it cold for use through the night if I need it.

I take a magnesium supplement and 5HTP (not to be used with anti depressants) - both have helped regulate my sleep pattern.

I try not to use my electronic gadgets in the run-up to bed, but since I use a mindfulness app on my iPad to help me drop off, I know I'm not the most successful at that step!

Once I start the sleep programme on the app to run in the background, I try to read a few pages of my latest book. I'm using the Clarity app but there are lots of good mindfulness apps you could try.

I try to limit my liquid intake a couple of hours before bedtime so that I only have a couple of loo stops during the night. (They can be really irritating!)

If I wake up and can't get back to sleep, I pop the app back on. I find that this is the quickest way to help me drop off again. I'm a huge advocate of mindfulness apps - they've really helped me to deal with anxiety and rampaging thoughts. It does take a bit of practice, but is really worth the effort.

Have you signed up for the sleep programme? It's packed with lots of tips to help you get a good night's sleep. I hope you find something that works for you!😊 💤

Hello Kaz,

many thanks for the tips .

• sheilaesheilae Posts: 27 mod

Hello Smc & welcome! Isn't it so exhausting when we suffer poor quality/quantity of these essential zzz's @ night??!! I find though the more I looked at my alarm clock in frustration through the night, the more stressed & frustrated with the situation I became so now I've faced it away from me & that helps!!

I see also from your other posting that you use a cooling fan in your room! If it's a silent one...great but perhaps if it's not, investing in a pair of earplugs might be useful to block out the noise, which can be another irritation of mine!!

Again like you, I always pay a few visits to the loo at night...so annoying!! I do drink copious amounts of water throughout the day but never from early evening onwards but I still have to empty that bladder of mine regardless?! Am hoping you & I might get some advice on that one here?! Someone did suggest to me some time ago to consume a dry weetabix before bed but it didn't work for me....I still had my trips LOL 😂 but maybe it's worth a go for you??!! 😁💕

Hello Sheilae,

thanks for your reply , it’s certainly nice to know that I’m not alone , yes it is a quiet fan that I have & I also use earplugs , aren’t the loo visits annoying.

• StephanieNStephanieN Posts: 1

My insomnia is driving me insane! I am the same as the other lady, I don’t have night sweats but my body temperature rises and rises and then I itch for hours! I could cry most nights it’s awful! I go to work exhausted. Any tips anybody? 🤞

Hi @StephanieN

Nice to see you here!

It's really hard when you can't sleep isn't it?

I know I bang on about it a lot, but the Clarity app has really helped me with my sleep pattern. Details above ⬆️⬆️⬆️

Have you tried having an antihistamine before bed to stop the itching? That used to drive me insane too - but it's really eased off with the antihistamine trick! Worth a try!

Good luck! 😊

https://clarity.app/