Aches and pains during sleep?

We know lots of women get extra aches and pains during menopause - it's one of the most talked about topics on our Facebook page! So we've been looking at sleep posture and different ways of positioning yourself during sleep, to see if they can make a difference - every little helps, right?

So we're doing a little survey of our community - are you a front sleeper, side sleeper or a back sleeper? And have you ever tried to change the way you sleep to be more comfortable?

(I'm a side sleeper, and I sometimes get flare-ups of awful sciatica - but if I sleep with a pillow between my knees and one behind my back, it really helps and I usually wake up almost back to normal!)

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 402 mod

Good question emilyrose!

A few months ago, I wouldn't have been able to answer this because the lack of sleep meant that I spent the night tossing and turning, in all sorts of positions! In fact, sometimes the best place to sleep was on the sofa, not least because it's the coldest room in the house overnight! I'm sure that didn't do anything for my posture! Now everything has calmed down somewhat, I usually sleep on my left side. I can't sleep on my back - just don't get any sleep in that position at all, but if I flip on to my right side, then within a few minutes I start to get pain in my right hip, and I have to start adjusting where my knee is or use a hot water bottle (flushes permitting!) until I give up and go back to my left side again. Big boobs stop me from sleeping on my front! 😂

I wonder what everyone else does to keep themselves comfortable?

• sheilaesheilae Posts: 27 mod

Hi Emily Rose!

My sleeping position is & has been for many years...sleeping on my front! I know it sounds odd for a lot of people but it's the only way I can fall asleep!! My sleep is generally quite broken with frequent trips to the loo (I drink lots of water daily!) which can sometimes really wake me & then I can have difficulty in getting back to sleep but only ever in the "tummy" position!! I've signed up for the Sleep challenge commencing tomorrow & looking forward to tips/assistance on this one!! I do take a nightly magnesium tablet which along with helping leg cramps may possibly aid my sleep??! 👍😁💚