Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

St jobs wort

RachRach Posts: 3

Morning all .. forgot to say last time I'm new , thanks for your replies to last question . I'd like to know if anyone has tried st johns wort for low moods and anxiety and pmt? If so how much did you take and did it work ? Also wondering if evening primrose any good ?😊

Comments

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 345 mod

Hi Rach

I've never tried at Johns wort but have heard it's good. Evening primrose oil works for some and doesn't for others. Personally I can't take it as it turns me in a more of a nutter than I already am lol. I get very angry and snappy. Though others say it's a god send so I think all herbal type remedies are very much personal preference and trial and error.

Good luck :)

• KazKaz Posts: 475 mod
    edited March 2019

Hello again Rachel!

Hope you got some helpful tips you can use from your last post!

I used St Johns Wort years ago when I was trying to sort out my PMS. I had to stop fairly quickly when the GP told me that it interacted with the anti depressants I was taking at the time, and the two shouldn't be mixed. So I didn't get any real results, but if you search on any forum you'll see that it works for some but not for others. A lot of the frustration in finding things that work for you is the trial and error element, it's not like anyone can wave a magic wand for us all sadly! I also took evening primrose oil and then switched to starflower oil to help with the same symptoms.

I can tell you that I have been taking 5HTP to help with anxiety and low mood for some months now. This works well for me, and I see that it can also be used to treat PMS symptoms. Same as the St Johns Wort though. It can't be mixed with anti depressants.

As with any supplements or treatments you are unfamiliar with, it's always best to seek the advice of a pharmacist or GP before you start.

😊

• sheilaesheilae Posts: 27 mod

Hello there Rach!

Like with all herbal supplements & medication, things can work differently for each of us!! Many years ago, I did go on St. John's Wort for a while & found it quite beneficial but you must be careful not to take it with certain other meds (your GP/Pharmacist) can advise you further! I've found latterly 5HTP to be really beneficial with regards to coping better, reducing anxiety & general low mood! Some people also say Evening Primrose works for them...I've not used it during Menopause but did for period problems years ago...again it proved helpful! Trial & error I guess....best of luck though! 👍😁💕

• EveEve Posts: 2

Hi Rach, I have been taking St Johns wort for a year ever since menopause hit and my mood got dangerously low and I started feeling quite anxious. I think it worked for me because I have always been a bit of a ‘ stressy’ person (quite familiar with periods of depression and anxiety since childhood, but always managed to have a great time and make a good go of things really anyway!). When I started the St Johns wort within 24 hours I was just less concerned about everything. SUCH a relief!! I wish I’d tried it earlier in my life. So I think it’s probably great if you’ve always been a stressy person and needed to relax. I’ve started evening primrose oil as a replacement for Agnes cactus which I also took since last year for the more hormonal and bad tempered moody type effects of menopause - and sore breasts!! That worked well, but the effects wear off with taking it for a while and changing to evening primrose oil has been fine. - I only shout at the kids and husband about once a fortnight! I have found Holland and Barret staff very helpful - I do usually try t ask a woman, but I assume the men would have the same training and ive used quite a few different branches and they all seem very caring when they explain or recommend things. - Which is exactly what you need when you’re menopausal! Good luck finding what takes the edge off menopause for you.

Hi @Eve

Some great tips - thanks for sharing!

It's great to have different ideas in the bank in case we need it 😊

• EveEve Posts: 2

Hi Kaz, You seem like the expert with a lot of experience of the posts on this forum. I’m about a year in with symptoms which made me realise I am approaching menopause (and it’s months since any sign of a period) and I’m hoping I may get by without HRT. I really want to try as I found being on the pill when I was younger had terrible effects on me. It sounds like many on this forum and where ever I’ve researched online have annoying (often overwhelming) menopausal symptoms for many years. In your experience, how long do you think the menopausal symptoms last? - Looking it up on the internet it doesn’t seem it just lasts a year as some doctors say.

Many thanks in advance.

Oh blimey! Far from an expert - but I got launched into menopause really early, wasn't allowed HRT because of migraines and had to be my own best ally in getting through a very long struggle with some horrible symptoms. I've literally read everything I can get my hands on, and tried so many things to smooth the journey, and I hate to see other women having a tough time. Fair play to the many women who sail through, but for the ones who genuinely struggle, I love the forum as somewhere to offer some hope and support.

How long do symptoms last? Someone else asked that same question just recently. It's not an exact science - and it's a question I really wish I had the answer for! The NHS website will tell you that women can still have symptoms somewhere between four years and twelve years after their last period. There is also other research that suggests this time can be longer for other women. It's like most things menopausal I believe. Some women will sail through fairly quickly, and with only a few, if any symptoms. Others will still have some symptoms years after they have their last period.

The upshot is - do exactly what you're doing. Find out as much as you can. Keep an eye on what's happening to you. Ask lots of questions. And do what's right for you and the symptoms you have as they come along, whether that's trying a more natural route with supplements, diet, exercise, mindfulness etc, or maybe it's HRT. I was like you and had difficulties with contraceptive pills and devices, but HRT patches are working well. There's no right or wrong way of dealing with your symptoms. Whatever works for you is the way to go.

I've done both routes now - HRT and more natural. Both work well, but take a bit of adjusting along the way.

The forum is a great resource for asking all the questions you need to. We have lots of experts who are really good at replying to you if you need their input, and they've certainly helped me hugely in the last few months. Equally - when women like you share your tips, that helps everyone enormously.

Hope this helps and we see lots more of you on the forum 😊