Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Any Advice Appreciated

MrsH80MrsH80 Posts: 3

Hi Everyone

I had my ovaries removed three months ago due to severe Endrometriosis, I’m 38 and trying to cope with my new menopausal symptoms.

Hot flushes, night sweats and insomnia came on quite quickly. Some days I’m good and just breeze through the day but others when the hot sweats are particular thick and fast I find it hard and dread what’s to come.

My sex drive has hit the floor which I’m devastated about, my husband and I have always had a healthy sex life and now I don’t even get any urges what so ever..... does this get better??

Im yet to be put on HRT, waiting for a consultant appointment so they can decide which one to put me on .... I’m hoping once I’m on HRT that I may get some sparkle back in the bedroom department?!?!?

Ive read all different stories on taking HRT, just a little worried that it will also put a lot of weight on me?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thank you so much

A x

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 475 mod
    edited March 2019

Hello MrsH80,

Welcome to the forum!

I hope you're beginning to feel better after your surgery. I remember that sudden plunge into surgery induced symptoms. It's a massive shock to your system isn't it?

It's 16 years since my surgery, but Ive only just been allowed to take HRT in the last seven weeks. (I was refused because I get migraine). I'm feeling almost evangelical about the impact it's having on my life after battling with symptoms for all this time, Flushes are almost all gone, mood is improved, sleep is better. Migraines are less. My husband works abroad for three to four months at a time, and this is the first time in YEARS that I'm not dreading having to make excuses for not being interested in the bedroom department! That has changed dramatically! 😁 Given how little we see each other, it has been devastating not to be interested in sex, especially when I miss him so much when he's not here. There are still some symptoms to settle, and Ive had sore boobs for the first time in years, but the overall outcome is really positive for me.

As for weight gain on HRT, I've had the opposite experience. I've been so miserable for all this time dealing with rotten symptoms that I'd taken to comfort eating and school night wine. I'm much happier, and feel so much better on the HRT patches, that the weight is slowly coming off. A stone in six weeks, and although I am consciously trying to make an effort to be more healthy, I'm encouraged that everything finally seems to be heading in the right direction.

I hope you get a consultant appointment soon, and you start to feel more like yourself. 😊

• MrsH80MrsH80 Posts: 3

Kaz

Thank you so much for your lovely reply, your honesty and openness has really made me feel that I’m not alone and can do this!

Here’s hoping the HRT will give me the results I need.

Thanks again xx

• Sarahb79Sarahb79 Posts: 2

I am 39 and although I had my hysterectomy 15 years ago up until 2 months ago still had my ovaries. Due to severe endometriosis they have now been removed. I have been put on Tibolone but am struggling with menopausal symptoms. Hot flushes (especially at night) which is affecting my sleep. Although I would say I have some sex drive I am so uncomfortable down below (feel like I am sat on broken glass most of the time) I don’t want to do anything!! My mood swings are becoming embarrassing as I am having massive rages one minute and then crying my eyes out the next minute (partly because I feel so guilty about losing my temper in the first place)

So glad to find this forum and don’t feel quite so alone now.

• KazKaz Posts: 475 mod

Hi Sarah,

Thanks so much for sharing with us.

It's SO frustrating, and upsetting, that you are still dealing with symptoms after all this time. I completely understand everything you've described, and I've been that woman with the rages, and the mood swings, the soreness, the flushes, the tears....

It really does get better, and you are not on your own.

If you've given the tibolone a decent amount of time to help, and you are still feeling awful, (and it really sounds as if you are!) I would think about making an appointment with your GP to discuss tweaking your treatment. I'm sure everyone is fed up listening to me telling women to write down their symptoms. List everything. And list the impact the symptoms are having. Be brutally honest! It was the only way that I got my point across finally. My GP seemed to appreciate and accept the list of symptoms when he saw it in black and white.

There are lots of things you can do to help with your soreness and the other symptoms can be treated. It sometimes takes a bit of time to find a treatment that works for you. Please dont be afraid to keep asking until you find something that works for you.

Keep in touch 😊

• MrsH80MrsH80 Posts: 3

Hi Sarah

So sorry to hear that you are struggling... us ladies have to go through so much!

Ive experienced the broken glass feeling and also being ultra sensitive... I bought a lubricant called YES! They do little tubes which you can use internally and externally.... after two weeks it felt so much better and that sharp glass feeling had gone... maybe that might be worth a try... I think it cost for around a tenner and I bought it sinceto keep in incase I need to use it again

Don’t feel guilty about your mood swings your whole body is going through an immense change and it’s going to take time to get used to the new you!

Sending love your way

Amy x