Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Anxiety and Confidence

MissMarpleMissMarple Posts: 2

2 1/2 years ago I had a full hysterectomy and oophorectomy putting me into surgical menopause. I started taking HRT around 7 weeks after surgery once I'd been given the all clear. I've recovered well, except for problems with anxiety and self confidence.

At first I put this down to my hormones being out of balance and my body finding a level with the HRT, which it has done. I also have taken a really good look at my diet (following the advice of Marilyn Grenville in her book The New Natural Alternative to HRT (which has worked well, even though I am taking HRT as well).

I'm also taking supplements each day, Omega 3,6,9, Magnesium, Vitamin D3 and K2 and drinking at least 2 litres of water a day.

I run my own business and although I've faced challenges many times, I now find that out of the blue my confidence can be shot in situations I used to handle with ease. I also suffer from anxiety about the most trivial things. It's like I'm watching these feelings from another place. I don't recognise them as part of me yet they have the ability to severely affect me and my work performance.

Does anyone else have experience of this? How have you dealt with it?

Overall I'm really happy, I don't have any more problems, challenges or issues than the next person; but I know that with little warning self confidence, anxiety and overthinking are just lurking around the corner.

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 475 mod

Hello MissMarple!

Thanks for joining us on the forum. You are very welcome!

I have a similar supplement regime to yours, except that I also take 5HTP to help with anxiety and low mood. I took anti depressants for years, and had been fine without them for around four years when I noticed my mood dropping and my anxiety levels rising. I didn't want to revert to the anti depressants again, so did a bit of research and found this as an alternative. I've had really good results, my mood lifted within a few weeks, and I am far less anxious. Lemon balm, Green tea, lavender, rescue remedy etc are also other alternatives you could try, but I find that even being on HRT (which has significantly helped with all of my symptoms), the 5HTP just keeps mood and anxiety levels in check for me.

Hope this helps! 😊

(WARNING - you must not take 5HTP if you are already taking any anti depressant treatment, and you should always consult a pharmacist or GP if you are thinking about taking an unfamiliar supplement)

• MissMarpleMissMarple Posts: 2

Hi Kaz,

Thank you very much. Yes, I'm drinking green tea too and have rescue remedy. i've also started to make my own moisturiser from sweet almond oil and then mixing in a few drops of essential oil, which has helped a bit, but not got me all the way there.

I'm lucky enough not to be on anti-depressants, so I've gone and ordered a bottle of 5HTP. I've never heard of it and I've done tons of reading about the menopause. Thank you sooo much. I've asked for 24 hours delivery so I can start taking it asap and hopefully, in a few weeks, I'll be feeling some benefit.

I'm also thinking about getting my thyroid checked, but I want to make sure I've covered every other avenue first.

Thank you! 😍

• KazKaz Posts: 475 mod
    edited March 2019

I love how proactive you are at trying to help yourself! I always feel better when I feel as if I'm taking control of what's happening to me.

What essential oils are you adding to your moisturiser? Sounds lovely!

I really hope the 5HTP works for you. I had to tweak the dosage a couple of times to feel the benefits, but I really just felt that it gave me my sanity back. I was determined not to resort to anti depressants again, not because there's anything wrong with that route if you need help, but I worked so hard to get off them, and I didn't want to restart them without trying alternatives. It also helped me to sort out my sleep pattern along with the magnesium, and that in itself helped smooth out the anxiety levels!

Keep in touch and let me know how you're doing! Good luck! 😊

• Sarahb79Sarahb79 Posts: 2

Definitely going to try these suggestions. I had my hysterectomy 15 years ago but only had my ovaries removed recently. I have never suffered with anxiety in the past but am really struggling with it now. Some days I have to have a stern word with myself just to leave the house. I love essential oils but had never thought about adding them to things! Really don’t want to go down the anti depressant route and also hadn’t heard of 5HTP before so thank you.

• sheilaesheilae Posts: 27 mod

Hello MissMarple & welcome to the forum! 5HTP is definitely worth a shot!! Although I've not tried & tested it myself, I do have a couple of pals who absolutely swear by it!! It really does seem to help decrease the mood swings & anxious times so definitely give it a whirl!! I see you've already ordered it....FAB! Do let us know re/your progress....👍😁💕

• Nursesally91Nursesally91 Posts: 16

Hi I also had a total hysterectomy & ovaries removed 12 months ago and like you I suffer waves of anxiety really bad, I start palpitating and some times I’m getting chest pains the panic is that bad, nothing triggers it, it just happens. I to also thought it was down to my hormones as had my HRT changed 3 times but I’ve gone back down to 50 on my patch as felt 75 was too strong and making my symptoms worse. The GP started me on sertraline of which worked at the beginning but no longer works and refuse to have it increased. Glad to here someone else experiencing post surgical menopause as I’ve felt like going crazy some days. There’s very little help for ladies post surgical menopause.