Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Anxiety, panic, fear

Wjh1961Wjh1961 Posts: 4

I think I'm in menopause. Maybe someone else has experienced similar symptoms?

In the evenings I suddenly become filled with anxiety and panic for no reason. Feels like an adrenaline rush of fear. I will get nauseated and my face feels hot. Feels like I'm going to die. It last about 30 minutes and then I'm fine. I hate it!

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 475 mod

Hello!

Welcome to the forum!

How horrible for you! You're not on your own though. Lots of women experience similar feelings of anxiety and panic, and when it seems to come out of nowhere, and be about nothing you can put your finger on, it's doubly frustrating!

I think you said elsewhere on the forum that you were thinking about making an appointment with your GP, and it's probably a good idea if you are having other symptoms too, or if you're particularly worried about this one.

I hated that I used to get anxious about things that I would never bat an eyelid at normally. It used to make me feel so weak I guess. Incapable even. And Ive always been very capable, very sensible and very much in control. It was hard feeling as if I was losing my mind!

I found a supplement called 5HTP, which worked well for me. It took the edge off my low mood and the anxiety. You can't take it if you are on anti depressants, but since I wasn't allowed to take HRT for a long time, this allowed me to treat the symptoms myself fairly successfully. Other women take Rescue Remedy, Kalms, Lemon Balm or magnesium amongst other things. As with most things though, what works for one person might not work for you. There was a lot of trial and error before I found something that worked for me.

I would also always seek advice from a pharmacist or GP before taking anything you're unfamiliar with, but it's something you can try. There are options out there for you.

I also use a mindfulness app to give me a breather when I need it. I wasn't convinced when it was suggested to me initially, but it does seem to help calm my anxious brain when I need it.

I hope you find something that works for you! ☺️

• sheilaesheilae Posts: 27 mod

Hi Wjh 1961 & welcome to the forum!,

Definitely 5HTP is very much worth trying! Although I've not had it myself, it comes highly recommended by a few of my pals....they really are super impressed with it! It has aided them through their anxiety & low moods for sure.....

I find slowly sipping a long glass of water can also help during these panic/anxious times too! I suppose if you can't do controlled breathing & taking a few deep slow breaths, then sipping the liquid (water...not wine LOL!!) can really help?! Have you thought about perhaps doing some form of yoga or meditation or even just sitting quietly listening to some peaceful music in the evening for a short while?? I'm determined to put my advice here into practise & start doing some yoga locally myself very soon!! Best of luck.....👍💕