Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Any advice appreciated

Sapphy_76Sapphy_76 Posts: 6

Hi, I am currently waiting on blood tests from the gp to confirm if I am perimenopause but the symptoms I have been experiencing tell me that I am. I am 43 years of age. Like others I have dreadful night sweats, memory has gone to pot and has my sex drive. Some days I wake up just feeling terrible with no energy at all. I think the worst thing for me (and probably for my partner and little girl) is my mood swings and anxiety. Some days I get so frustrated and angry and the littlest of things, it’s horrible!! I have been looking at natural remedies online and just wondered if anyone could help/advise if these do work and what they would recommend. Thanks in advance x

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 475 mod

Good morning Sapphy_76

Thanks for sharing your first post. It’s nice to have you with us on the forum.

I’m sorry to see that you’re struggling with so many symptoms - they really have a big impact on your life don’t they?

Its hard to offer any kind of advice without knowing some more information. Yes - there are definitely supplements you can take to help with the symptoms. I should add though, that what works for one person might not necessarily work for you. You shouldn’t get too downhearted if you don’t find something that helps you immediately. Keep going!

Are you returning to the GP to discuss the blood results, and if so, dependant on the results of course, will you be asking for HRT ? That in itself, might mean that you won’t want/need to take a supplement.

Over the years I have probably tried a lot of the supplements on offer. One of the worst symptoms for me was depression, mood swings and anxiety. After a long search, I still treat this with 5HTP. CAUTION - If you are on antidepressants already, you should NOT take this. For a more “all round” supplement to treat things like hot flushes, fatigue, general well-being during menopause, I took Nutrition FX. This was the supplement I had the best result with, but it IS fairly expensive, and now that I am finally on HRT, I no longer use it.

Lots of women have great success with red clover, black cohosh, magnesium etc, and there are lots of Menopause Multivitamins on the market. Have a read at the Ask Me Anything discussions with menopause experts Maryon Stewart, Nicki Williams and Sabrina Zeif. (See below for ease). All of them have recommendations for various supplements, and they’re a useful read to help you make a choice (they also have LOTS of great tips for other menopause issues!)

Of course, you should always take care when starting any new supplement, and it wouldn’t hurt to check with your GP or a pharmacist before taking anything unfamiliar.

I hope you find something helpful for your situation, and I’d love to hear how you get on at the GP.

The menopause can be awful, but there are definitely things you can do to help.

😊

• Sapphy_76Sapphy_76 Posts: 6

Hi Kaz

Thank you for reply and all the information, sometimes I think it helps to know you are not on your own and you can share your experiences on here. I am going to go back to the gp after the blood tests but that’s not for another two months as I have to do two tests six weeks apart.

In the meantime I am going to try 5htp as it’s my mood/anxiety that I am struggling with and hopefully that will help. I have heard a lot of good reviews about Soya Isoflavones for night sweats etc so going to give them ago.

I will I’ll let you know how it goes 😀

Thanks again x

Soya Isoflavones are one of the many I had lined up for me every morning. I do think it helps. The 5HTP really took the edge off my low mood. I just didn’t want to go back down the anti depressant road again. It sometimes takes a while to get the dose right for you, so stick with it. I had spells where I’d be furious with everyone around me, for no good reason, and I really wasn’t very nice to be around! These helped enormously AND with the addition of magnesium, I managed to improve my sleep pattern too.

I think you’re absolutely right. The best thing for me was finding the forum and realising that I wasn’t the only one. Such a relief!

Good luck!! And shout out if you have any more questions 😊

Thanks Kaz, the biggest thing for me will be remembering to take them 😂

The gp offered me antidepressants but like you I don’t want to go down that road. Will stick with them and hopefully my mood will improve...my poor family have had the brunt of it!!

Take care and will keep in touch x

Hi Kaz

Hope your ok?

Following on from our last discussion and after having blood tests it’s now officially...I am menopausal 😀 the gp has put me on Evorel Sequi and is going to monitor to see how I go. would you advise to keep taking the vitamins aswell? I did feel a bit better taking them so wouldn’t think it would do me any harm.

I feel better just having it confirmed as I thought I was going mad and just need to find the best way to deal with it now.

Thanks x

Morning @Sapphy_76 !!!

So pleased to hear from you, and I'm delighted to see you have some answers!

I know EXACTLY what you mean!! It's almost as if you can finally deal with something when it's given a name, even when you thought you knew what was happening! The official acknowledgement proves to you that you're not going crazy 😉

Welcome to the club!

Did you get tablets or patches?

I've carried on with some of my supplements. I think I worked on the principal that they helped me before hrt, so I was loathe to stop. I'm about ten weeks in on HRT, and the difference is enormous! Life changing for me - I had fourteen years of symptoms before I could persuade a GP to let me have the patches.

I felt heaps better within a few weeks, (not completely my old self, but I may have been expecting a little too much😊) and have had a few tweaks to iron out some of the symptoms that persisted. Its a question of patience for you now, and don't be afraid to say if it's not completely right. It's not a miracle and it won't work instantly, so don't feel despondent if you don't immediately feel like a new woman!

I do hope you'll feel the benefits soon, and I'm so pleased you went to your GP. And PLEASE if you have any questions, even if you think they're daft, let us know! 😊

Thanks Kaz, appreciate your advice and honestly. I can’t believe you went through 14 years of waiting and dealing with the symptoms all on your own with no help from the gp!! Im so glad ur on the right side of it now. I was lucky I think to get a lady gp who understood. She has put me in the patches as I suffer from migraines. It was my first day yesterday and I need to go back in a month to see how I’ve got on.

Like you I’m inclined to stop the vitamins as they did help a little so will carry on.

Thanks again x

edited March 2019

The only one I stopped was Nutrition FX. It worked really well, but was expensive!

I still take a vitamin B supplement, magnesium and 5htp

Migraines are what stopped me getting treatment! It was only from the forum here, and help from our expert @Nicki_Williams that I was able to go back to my GP and make my case!

The patches are working well - getting them to stick was a pain, but I now hold them in my hand for a minute or so to warm the glue, then apply, and hold them again for a minute. I remove the glue patches with babyoil!

AND I'm down from two or three migraines a week, to one a month! Mine are stress related, so the menopause symptoms stressed me out, and increased the migraines I was dealing with. HRT has dramatically reduced my stress levels and therefore the migraines have lessened.... That's my theory anyway! 😂

Please keep in touch and let me know how you're doing! I'm so pleased for you 😊😊

Thanks Kaz, take care and will let you know how it goes x