Painful Smear Tests

Has anybody else found their smear test painful due to vaginal dryness?  

My practice nurse has advised using a non - hormonal lubricant once a day (at least one week), before my smear test and that should help make the examination more comfortable.

Do people have other helpful tips and advice on how to make this dreaded exam more comfortable?

Many thanks.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• KazKenn24KazKenn24 Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited January 25 Accepted Answer
    Frankee said:
    Has anybody else found their smear test painful due to vaginal dryness?  

My practice nurse has advised using a non - hormonal lubricant once a day (at least one week), before my smear test and that should help make the examination more comfortable.

Do people have other helpful tips and advice on how to make this dreaded exam more comfortable?

Many thanks.
    Good Morning Frankee.
    Thanks for sharing! I guess I never really thought about it! And I feel awful saying that! I do remember how uncomfortable they were, but after hysterectomy, I haven’t had to have smears, so although I understand the issues with vaginal dryness, I haven’t had to think of that aspect of it! I did have a look around to see what I could find to help. I’m sure you have too, so my apologies. I’m certainly not trying to give you advice on something you’re already SO familiar with! I did find this though, from the website Jo’s Cervical Cancer Trust. They have some sensible advice that some women may not have thought of, so I thought it was worth a share.
    I hope you find something that works for you. We all know how vital smears are, but we also know how uncomfortable and embarrassing they can be, so it’s brilliant that we have somewhere to talk about the concerns we have. 😊 

https://www.jostrust.org.uk/blog/let%E2%80%99s-talk-about-it%E2%80%A6-sometimes-smear-tests-are-painful