Confused...

Whats the difference between peri menopause and menopause? How do you know when you’re one or the other? Or post menopausal? Are the symptoms different?

Comments

• JuJu23JuJu23 Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Hi - As I understand it your only IN the menopause when you’ve not had a period for 1 year - you can be peri -menopausal up to ten years prior to that ..
    symptoms of menopause but still with periods - regular or irregular 
  • KazKenn24KazKenn24 Posts: 50 ✭✭
    Hi JuJu23,

Its no wonder we’re all confused.
    I get that we all reach menopause etc at different times, but last week I read a question from a lady whose periods had stopped for a year, then restarted, then stopped again. So is she menopausal? Or still peri menopausal?
    And what about someone like me who had a hysterectomy, so no periods. How do you know when you’ve reached the “year without periods” milestone?!
    I guess there’s no real way to know unless you have a GP willing to let you have a blood test to confirm it.
    I understand that there’s no “one size fits all” explanation for what’s happening to us, but there seem to be so many anomalies to every piece of information we get, it’s really hard to know what’s going on!
     :s 
  • JuJu23JuJu23 Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Mmm well ...my consultant told me that “I would wake up in the menopause” after my surgey - I had ovaries removed - so no hormones - if you have womb removed but ovaries intact you still have hormones - but your right - very confusing!