Depression

Hi I’m new to this forum and I could really do with some advice.  My GP has just diagnosed me with menopausal depression, I fortunately do not have the hot flushes but they may come, and I think I am quite late as I’ve just turned 55 and my periods have only just stopped.  My mood though is at an all time low, I’ve always been the strong one who everyone turns too, but I now feel like a wreck.  I don’t want to get up some days and I cry at the drop of a hat for no reason. I can’t turn thoughts off at night  so dread going to bed but then dread waking to start the day.  I feel guilty that my husband has to cope with me and I’ve list interest in housework and cooking and have no motivation.  The GP was reluctant to give me HRT as I had a very large fibroid that last year I had a procedure on and it has reduced 75% in size, she feels that the oestrogen may make it grow again.  She has prescribed me sertraline but I think these are making me feel worse.  I just want these feelings to go away and to get back to normal.  I was thinking of taking St Johns Wort, any advice for me please?

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 36 mod
    Hi I’m new to this forum and I could really do with some advice.  My GP has just diagnosed me with menopausal depression, I fortunately do not have the hot flushes but they may come, and I think I am quite late as I’ve just turned 55 and my periods have only just stopped.  My mood though is at an all time low, I’ve always been the strong one who everyone turns too, but I now feel like a wreck.  I don’t want to get up some days and I cry at the drop of a hat for no reason. I can’t turn thoughts off at night  so dread going to bed but then dread waking to start the day.  I feel guilty that my husband has to cope with me and I’ve list interest in housework and cooking and have no motivation.  The GP was reluctant to give me HRT as I had a very large fibroid that last year I had a procedure on and it has reduced 75% in size, she feels that the oestrogen may make it grow again.  She has prescribed me sertraline but I think these are making me feel worse.  I just want these feelings to go away and to get back to normal.  I was thinking of taking St Johns Wort, any advice for me please?
    Hi Wendy.
    Welcome to the forum, and for sharing your experience.
    I’m so sorry that you’re feeling so dreadful. It’s a real shock to the system when you’re used to being the strong one for everyone else. I’ve struggled with depression for about twenty years now, so I know just how debilitating it can be. Throw the menopause into the mix, and it’s double whammy! 
    Your anti depressants can take at least four weeks before you begin to feel a difference, but realistically it can take 8 to 12 weeks for the full benefits to be felt. You said your GP had just diagnosed you, so have you only just started taking the setraline? I understand completely that we all want to feel better instantly, especially when you feel so horrible, but I’m afraid anti depressants don’t work as quickly as that. It’s worth persevering. Do you have a follow up appointment booked with your GP?
    St Johns Wort I seem to recall, interacts badly with anti depressants, so please do not be tempted to try these without checking with your GP first.
    As hard as it feels right now, I think the thing to remember is that you’re now dealing with what’s happening to you. It may not feel as if you’re getting better as fast as you want, but try and stay positive and hang in there till the medication starts to take effect. If you still feel bad after five or six weeks, it might be worth writing down what your concerns are, the symptoms you’re dealing with, the effect it’s all having on your life, and your family, and take that along to your next GP appointment. I forget to mention things when I’m at the doctor and I’m trying to tell them what’s happening in a short amount of time. Sometimes it’s easier just to hand over a list!
    If you can’t wait that long, why don’t you ask your questions to Nicki Williams? She’s a nutritionist and an expert in women’s health issues, and she’s hosting an “ask me anything” event on the forum on 16th January. Follow the link if you think that’s something you might like to do. Perhaps it would put your mind at rest?

https://community.livebetterwith.com/menopause/discussion/161/award-winning-nutrionist-nicki-williams-joins-us-for-our-first-ever-ask-me-anything-event#latest
  • Wendyb_harpsWendyb_harps Posts: 3
    Thank you Kaz, yes although I’ve been struggling with these feelings, I only went to see the GP last week, I’m due back next week and GP has CBT organised.  I think you’ve summed it up with ‘a shock to the system’ yes it certainly has been, but it’s so good to be able to share concerns and to know others feel the same so you are not going mad. Thanks again 
  • KazKaz Posts: 36 mod
    Ah Wendy! We're definitely not going mad! And I'm glad to see that you have another appointment with your GP really soon. I haven't tried CBT but I use Headspace, a mindfulness app (there are loads of these available, and some are free). I find it helps to quiet the storms in my head when it all gets too much! ♥