Am I going through the menopause

6 years ago I had a hysterectomy but my ovaries we not taken away.  I was under the impression (form the surgeon) that I would go through the menopause within two years.  I have not noticed anything different until recently now I am having hot flushes, pins and needles at night and eating lots.  Please can anyone advise if this is the case that I am going through the menopause? Hope this makes sense.  Thank you. 

Comments

• KazKenn24KazKenn24 Posts: 51 ✭✭
    Tracy said:
    6 years ago I had a hysterectomy but my ovaries we not taken away.  I was under the impression (form the surgeon) that I would go through the menopause within two years.  I have not noticed anything different until recently now I am having hot flushes, pins and needles at night and eating lots.  Please can anyone advise if this is the case that I am going through the menopause? Hope this makes sense.  Thank you. 
    Hi Tracy. 
    Welcome to our forum, and for sharing your first post!
    I had the same as you - a hysterectomy, but leaving the ovaries behind. I was told that this was because I was so young (32) and was to stop me from going into an early menopause. Isn’t it frustrating that we don’t all get the same information? 
    Anyway, I had a couple of years with no symptoms, but then like you, flushes, mood fluctuations, difficulty in sleeping, all sorts of symptoms started to creep in. I was told that I was likely to be peri menopausal - so, the time when your body starts transitioning into menopause. I guess it doesn’t really matter what you call it, you’re noticing some changes. If the changes are worrying you, or causing problems in any way, I would go and have a chat with your GP or a nurse practitioner at your local surgery. They might offer blood tests, they might offer HRT if your symptoms are severe enough and that’s appropriate for you - but at least you’re putting your concerns on record. 
    If you want to “ask an expert” we have Nicki Williams on the forum on 16th January. Follow the link to put your questions to her. I’m looking forward to seeing what she has to say on all things menopausal! https://community.livebetterwith.com/menopause/discussion/161/award-winning-nutrionist-nicki-williams-joins-us-for-our-first-ever-ask-me-anything-event#latest
  • TracyTracy Posts: 2
    Thank you so much for the information really helpful information I will book an appointment to see the GP/nurse practitioner, but also follow the link for Nicki Williams.  Great forum thanks...…..