Feelings of indifference.

Hi everyone. I’m new to this forum and have never done anything like this before but I’m feeling out of my depth. I believe I am menopausal and have been put onto HRT (I am
already on antidepressants - have been for a number of years). I visited the doctor with feelings of indifference, apathy and not feeling like I am completely here! It is hard to explain to friends and family but I don’t have any emotions and I don’t feel like I’m living my life-  it’s like I’m looking down on things, I feel flat and that I’m just going through the motions. It’s horrid. 😱I feel like ‘what is the point of everything’ but I don’t feel depressed - it’s different to that.The doctor put me on a trial of HRT to see if it changes anything but I’ve been on them 6 weeks,  the hot flushes have gone but my mind is still in overdrive!  Please can anyone relate to this or am I just going crazy with my thoughts. Thank you. 😄

Comments

• KazKenn24KazKenn24 Posts: 30
    Lilyboo3 said:
    Hi everyone. I’m new to this forum and have never done anything like this before but I’m feeling out of my depth. I believe I am menopausal and have been put onto HRT (I am
    already on antidepressants - have been for a number of years). I visited the doctor with feelings of indifference, apathy and not feeling like I am completely here! It is hard to explain to friends and family but I don’t have any emotions and I don’t feel like I’m living my life-  it’s like I’m looking down on things, I feel flat and that I’m just going through the motions. It’s horrid. 😱I feel like ‘what is the point of everything’ but I don’t feel depressed - it’s different to that.The doctor put me on a trial of HRT to see if it changes anything but I’ve been on them 6 weeks,  the hot flushes have gone but my mind is still in overdrive!  Please can anyone relate to this or am I just going crazy with my thoughts. Thank you. 😄
    Hi Lilyboo3. Welcome to our forum. Thanks for being brave enough to share your experience. You are NOT alone! And you are definitely not going crazy! Lots of women experience similar symptoms during the menopause, and it can be completely overwhelming. It’s good that you’ve seen your GP  - even better that you’ve been offered HRT. That can sometimes take a while to kick in, so although the flushes have improved, it may take some time for your mood to improve. It’s like being in a bubble isn’t it? The strangest feeling - and not pleasant at all. Very hard to explain to others unless you’ve experienced it yourself. All I can say is that it really helps to know that you’re not on your own, which is one of the reasons I love this forum, and that it does get better with time (and with help from your HRT treatment!). Also, don’t be afraid to go back to your GP if you think you’re not seeing an improvement in a few weeks. It’s no fun to struggle along on your own.

Perhaps this guide from the website will have something that might help you. https://livebetterwithmenopause.com/pages/feeling-stressed-sad-or-snappy

• Lilyboo3Lilyboo3 Posts: 3
    KazKenn24 - thank you so much for replying. It is reassuring to hear that I am experiencing something that others can relate to. Yes! a bubble is s good way of describing it. I have just read the article you suggested and, although I already do yoga and tons of exercise, there are a few ideas that I have yet to try. 
    I just feel so alone with it all. My family are very supportive but my husband does night shifts and my children have recently moved  out so it’s just me and my irrational thoughts most evenings. 🤷‍♀️ X
  • KazKenn24KazKenn24 Posts: 30
    Lilyboo3 said:
    KazKenn24 - thank you so much for replying. It is reassuring to hear that I am experiencing something that others can relate to. Yes! a bubble is s good way of describing it. I have just read the article you suggested and, although I already do yoga and tons of exercise, there are a few ideas that I have yet to try. 
    I just feel so alone with it all. My family are very supportive but my husband does night shifts and my children have recently moved  out so it’s just me and my irrational thoughts most evenings. 🤷‍♀️ X
    Well Lilyboo3 - now you’ve discovered that you’re not on your own, and we understand just how you feel! That in itself, for me, was the biggest relief. Knowing that I wasn’t going crazy, and that other women were feeling the same way as me! Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us when you need to!  :) 
  • Lilyboo3Lilyboo3 Posts: 3
    Thank you so much. X