Happy New Year

It's that time of year when we promise all sorts of things to ourselves, and end up disappointed in a few days time when we've already fallen off the wagon. 
So I'm not going to promise to lose all the weight I've gained, or have a gin-free January, or a move more March (although all of them would be good for me!)….
Everything in moderation is achievable! 
But  - I promise you this. I will be kinder to myself in general, and especially whilst dealing with this thing called the menopause, and I will keep checking in here to offer support and help to others where I can. 
And I will be positive when dealing with all things menopausal - even after another sleepless night, or an anxious day.
Have a healthy, happy new year everyone. We look forward to hearing more of your stories in 2019.

Comments

• Status12Status12 Posts: 1
    I am assuming this abject discontentment, feeling low for no particular reason and at times extreme moodiness is at least partly due to menopause? Other typical physical symptoms such as hot flushes, sleep issues etc have not been at all pronounced, so I'm unsure. my period has slowly stopped over time, pretty sure it's just about petered out which i know at 55 is later than usual.
    Any advice or thoughts on frame of mind issues would be very welcome.
    ~Thank you 
  • KazKenn24KazKenn24 Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited January 3
    Status12 said:
    I am assuming this abject discontentment, feeling low for no particular reason and at times extreme moodiness is at least partly due to menopause? Other typical physical symptoms such as hot flushes, sleep issues etc have not been at all pronounced, so I'm unsure. my period has slowly stopped over time, pretty sure it's just about petered out which i know at 55 is later than usual.
    Any advice or thoughts on frame of mind issues would be very welcome.
    ~Thank you 
    Hi Status12.
    Welcome to the forum. Your description of how you are feeling is very familiar. Of course it’s possible that it may be due to menopause - you don’t say whether you are on HRT, or take supplements to help with the symptoms. Have you had any input from your GP? It may help to discuss the symptoms with your GP to confirm your suspicions, or to rule out any other issues. In terms of dealing with the mood highs and lows, some ladies take supplements such as black cohosh, or a more general menopause supplement like Menopace. There are lots on the market, and some will work better for you than others. I take 5htp, which I use to boost the serotonin levels in my brain, and this works well for me. I also use a mindfulness app (Headspace) to focus my mind when I’m aware that my mood is dropping. I’m afraid it’s very much a case of trying things till you find what works for you, and it’s important to seek medical advice before taking anything unfamiliar to you. I also feel better on the days when I’ve managed to get outside in the fresh air with my dogs - I’m always surprised by the difference just twenty minutes of walking can help with my mood!
    There is also the school of thought that your diet can have an effect on how you feel, mood etc. We have a discussion with Nicky Williams on the forum on 16th  January. Amongst other things, she’s a nutritionist and a leading expert in women’s health, and is looking for any menopause related questions we would like her to answer. Perhaps you could pose your questions to her and see what advice she has to offer? 

https://community.livebetterwith.com/menopause/discussion/161/award-winning-nutrionist-nicki-williams-joins-us-for-our-first-ever-ask-me-anything-event#latest