Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Weird feelings during menopause

Can anyone help me, i have been going through the menopause for a couple of years but during peri menopause I started to get weird feelings, i cant describe them, they are like a bad dream but I am awake, then I get a weird feeling in my head, nerves start in my tummy and I feel sick, I am conscious throughout and aware of my surroundings but they can happen at anytime, i have been to the doctor and now getting sent to a neurologist, I know its the menopause but she wont listen, i am on Hrt but now she has put me on prozac to help with the anxiety, hasnt worked I have tried 4 different kinds in 1 year, can anyone else please tell me if they have gone through any feelings like this, I know I haven't described them very well but they are hard to explain and I could go days without any or have days were I have one or maybe more, the most I have had in one day was 10 but that was unusual, I average 1 to 3 when I do have them

thank you so much for listening

Comments

• MenopauseorjustmeMenopauseorjustme Posts: 432 Menopause Nurse Practitioner

@Marie Grant

Thank you for writing in about your menopause symptoms.

I am pleased your GP has referred you to a neurologist; hopefully they can assess you and discount anything more bothersome.

Can I ask how old you are? What symptoms of menopause do you have? What types of HRT have you tried?

What have you asked your GP about? What have they said? Why don't they think its menopause, have they said what they think it is?

Sorry for the 20 questions!

We all go through menopause, so this has to be taken into consideration too.

I look forward to hearing from you and helping you.

Best wishes

Diane Porterfield Bourne.

• Marie GrantMarie Grant Posts: 3

Hi Diane

I am 54, my symptoms are mostly anxiety and insomnia, to the point I have been off sick for the past 6 wks, I have struggled with it since the menopause, i havent had a period now for 3 yrs, i was put on Hrt 2 yrs ago, I am on kliofem 2mg/1mg, i have asked the doctor to try changing my Hrt instead of putting me on another antidepressants but she said no because she thinks the antidepressants will help with the anxiety, so I am now on my 5th antidepressant in one year, when I explained the weird feelings she then referred me to a neurologist saying she thinks I need to get epilepsy ruled out, I told her I know my own body and it all started when I was peri menopausal but I will go to the neurologist and get it ruled out, I am just frustrated and hate these weird feelings, so was hoping to come on here and find out other women were having the same symptoms, I dont get flushes or night sweats so I was thinking are these feelings an actual flush but because I am not soaking the way I see some people i am thinking they aren't, and sorry for the late reply I am just finding my way round the site

thank you for replying

@Marie Grant

Thank you for getting back to us and telling us a bit more of how you are feeling.

I think you are right; getting someone to assess you and ensure they don't think anything more serious is going on. That will give you peace of mind.

As far as menopause goes, 25% do not get any hot flushes or night sweats so please don't worry about that. If you haven't had a period in 3 years you are post menopausal and your hormones will be low anyway.

I would suggest talking to your GP about your HRT. Oestrogen absorbed via the skin in a patch or gel is much better long term than a tablet Oestrogen.

Plus changing this to say 100mg Oestrogen patch or 4 pumps of gel might help increase your levels too.

It's just a thought.

Please keep us posted.

Best wishes

• Lou1962Lou1962 Posts: 1

Totally relate to you! I experience similar symptoms and feelings but only seems when I’m at work or driving (my 2 anxiety causing situations since menopause) I am 58 years old.

@Lou1962 How long have you felt like this? Have you talked to your GP? Why do you think your anxiety is worse at work and while you are driving?

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes