Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

HRT issues

Hi please can anyone advise..I've been using Oestrogel 2 or 3 pumps per day and Utrogestan days 15-26 for about 18 months. I still bleed every month but 2 weeks after last month's period I also bled vert heavily for a few days. My periods have also been extremely painful for the last few months, almost like contractions. My GP sent me for internal scan which was normal so I'm now wondering what to do.

Should I request blood tests to check hormone levels?

I'm 52 and my periods haven't stopped yet..is this because I take Utrogestan in second half of cycle?

Should I try a different HRT? I heard recently that not everyone absorbs Oestrogel. What are the best alternatives?

Many thanks🙂



  • MonicaMMonicaM Posts: 337 ✭✭✭


    Thank you for posting in our forum.

    I am so sorry that you are going through so many symptoms but I wanted to let you know that we have a gynaecologist, Dr @Giada Frontino on board with us - I'll tag her in this discussion so she'll be able to get back to you with some advice

    We also have menopause nurse specialist @Diane Porterfield-Bourne, she is an expert with HRT and I am sure she will get back to you on advice as well.

  • Giada FrontinoGiada Frontino Posts: 73 Consultant Gynaecologist

    Dear @Nadine

    Please do let your GP know about the increased bleeding and the pain. It might be worth changing type of HRT. In the meantime, please have some blood tests checked, including a full blood count, ferritin, your thyroid function and HbA1c. I would recommend doing a vaginal swab and urine culture, as the pain is not caused by hormonal issues.

    Please let us know how you do!

    Kind regards,

    Giada Frontino

    GMC Full Specialist Registration # 7468911 

    Website: https://www.doctify.com/uk/specialist/dr_giada_frontino 

  • NadineNadine Posts: 9

    Hi Giada,

    Thank you very much for advice..it's hard to know what to do and to be honest I find GP's not very well informed or keen to do tests. I asked for referral to gynaechologist but she said I'd have to try the different types of HRT first!! I'm also confused by the use of Utrogestan progesterone..told to use it cyclically until periods stop but will they stop at all using it this way do you know?

    Thanks again


  • MenopauseorjustmeMenopauseorjustme Posts: 431 Menopause Nurse Practitioner


    You have been getting some good advice here and your GP is always the person to discuss your health with. Generally you stay on cyclical Utrogestan as you are still having periods, as time goes on your periods will generally change and you will go months without a period. If you are still having a period regularly then you are still still peri menopausal and need to take it cyclically.

    I hope this helps.

    Take care.

    Diane Porterfield Bourne.

Sign In or Register to comment.