Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Restless legs an tiredness

Hello everyone, I'm new here and looking for advice so I can help my mum. I think she's menopausal, although haven't visited the GP yet to confirm. She's 55 and her biggest problems are severe leg pain and tiredness...but she struggles with getting a good nights sleep. She's up at 4am every day already...tried Valeriana but it didn't help. Is there anything I can get her for Christmas to help?? I'm thinking of putting together a self-care box for her and any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks so much, Flo

Comments

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 345 mod

Hi @Flooooo welcome to the forum and its lovely that you want to help her.

I suffer really badly with restless legs and the best thing I've found is magnesium. It comes in spray and tablets. I prefer the tablets. Any health shop would be able to give you the best ones. You can also get magnesium bath salts. Your mum could soak her feet in warm water in the evening with some Epsom salts in and this would also help.

Magnesium and vitamin b is also good for aiding sleep.

Restless legs can be very painful. It feels like someone is squeezing you muscles constantly in your legs and makes you kick out which also stops you from sleeping.

Also lavender spray for her pillow would help sleep.

If I think of anything else I will come back to you x

• MonicaMMonicaM Posts: 309 mod

@Flooooo

Welcome to the group and thanks for writing in. I also suffer from not being able to sleep sometimes myself and I agree with @Julie20 it could be restless legs. I don't suffer with that part but the sleep part is brutal for me. A lot of times before I go to bed I try to shut off all of my electronics and try to listen to soft relaxing music or use one of those apps that have the different music like nature, rain, ocean etc and that can be relaxing and normally I can fall off to sleep. My biggest issue is staying asleep because of the night sweats I have some people use sleep aides for myself I just fight through it so when I do wake up, I drink a cup of tea to try to relax me again or I will read a book and most times that will help me go back to sleep.

I don't know of any box that you can get her but definitely try to get her some relaxing tea, bath bombs, maybe a book she likes and make sure to have the black out curtains so no sunlight can get in and sometimes that helps.

I will tag our nurse expert to share more ideas and suggestions for you @Diane Porterfield-Bourne

I hope these suggestions from @Julie20 and I will help.

• MenopauseorjustmeMenopauseorjustme Posts: 388 Menopause Nurse Practitioner

Thank you both for including me in this post.

Hello @Flooooo

Aching legs is incredibly common and can drive you potty. Has your GP discussed HRT with your mom? This is the first treatment advised for menopause symptoms. It can certainly help with sleep too!

@Julie20 mentioned magnesium. I have read quite a bit around this and have heard how good it is, especially for aching legs. Many menopause symptoms cross over with low magnesium, so its worth looking into. I take it myself and have found it makes a big difference and my legs don't ache as much as they did.

HRT has many benefits; from improving symptoms to improving long term health, please have a think and chat to your GP. We are always here to chat too.

Keep us posted.

Best wishes

Diane Porterfield Bourne.