Crushing Insomnia

My sleep is spiralling out of control again.

I can just about cope with most other menopausal symptoms, the flushes, the mood swings, the crying, dry "everything", but the lack of sleep is crushing me. 
I've had sleep issues for about ten years. At the worst point, two or three hours a night was the norm. Juggling kids, animals, a relationship, work, a house and life in general, was like dragging myself through treacle every day. Recently though, I've been managing about 5 hours a night - and that was transformative! So these last few weeks I just don't understand why I'm slipping back into waking every hour on the hour, I can't get back to sleep, I dread being tired all day. And I spend the evenings trying hard not to fall asleep on the sofa but then can't sleep when I get into bed....
And I can feel the panic beginning to take over. The anxiety levels are rising and I'm desperate not to get back into that vicious circle. No sleep, anxiety, stress, migraine, no sleep - over and over again. It's exhausting!!
I don't know what to do anymore to help myself. I've adjusted my routine so much that I don't think there's anything I can add in to help. I don't want to remove anything from my night-time routine either, in case I remove the one thing that actually works!  I stick to the same bed time every night. By 11pm, I'm in my bed - I've had the warm, milky drink, sometimes I add a banana, because I've read that the potassium in bananas is good for helping you to sleep. I take magnesium. My electronic devices are off by ten o clock, and I try not to pick them up when I wake during the night. The sheets are cool. The room is cool. The bed is cosy - until the flushes make me throw everything on the floor! The mindfulness app plays to get me off to sleep. Deep breathing, meditation, long walks with the dogs, herbal sleeping tablets..... I swear I have tried everything I can think of to crack this nightmare. No help offered by the GP - ten minute appointments aren't really long enough to discuss the reality of the problem, and the offer to put me on anti depressants isn't something I want to repeat. I just wonder if I was able to stop worrying about the lack of sleep, if I'd be able just to sleep?
What am I missing?

Comments

• JuJu23JuJu23 Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Sorry 😐 ...Late reply here as not been on the forum ...I keep forgetting mainly! Another symptom of menopause and lack of sleep! 
    Sounds like your doing everything you can ...it’s hopefully a phase that may pass - I find nice smells help a lot - try aromatherapy oils - lavender clary sage rose geranium - lush also do a sleepy cream I haven’t used for a while but it helped ...locitaine do some sleep products too 
    I also listen to local radio on headphones -DJ  chit chat late at night is company and makes me doze off - sometimes! 
    Hope it helps and good luck 😉 
  • KazKenn24KazKenn24 Posts: 51 ✭✭
    Hi JuJu23.

Nice to hear from you!
    If it’s a phase, it’s a blooming long phase! Been about ten years now!
    And the flushes and other symptoms - nearly 14 years....
    I’m all phased out! 😂 
  • JuJu23JuJu23 Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Blimey Kaz -
    thats a long time! 
    Try the smelly thing -
    if nothting else it’s a nice smell! 
    Let me know how you get on x
  • LoopylooLoopyloo Posts: 3
    Hi Kaz,  I can’t imagine how you must be feeling.  I was always a great sleeper, head hits pillow and I was gone until the next morning.  Now I wake at 2 and then have to move to another room so as not to wake my husband, I then wake again at 4, drop off again after plugging in my relaxation tape and then wake absolutely exhausted.  I have found though that it seems to be better when I use my Neom spray, face oil and a candle .  The Lavendar does help.  Try it.   Other than that try not to worry about it. My Nan said that as she got older she didn’t need as much sleep,  mind you that’s easier said if you don’t have to work or have others that rely on you.  Thinking of you and feeling your pain.  God I hate getting old. X
  • KazKenn24KazKenn24 Posts: 51 ✭✭
    Hi Looploo! And JuJu23!

I am SO excited! Yesterday, after 14 (FOURTEEN!!!) years of horrible symptoms, including not being able to sleep, my GP has finally agreed to let me trial HRT patches. I was always told that I couldn’t have HRT because I get migraines, but armed with info from the Ask Me Anything session with Nicki Williams, I went back and asked again.
    I’m trying not to raise my hopes so high that I’m disappointed if all the symptoms don't get better or disappear, or if I still struggle with sleep, but at least I finally feel as if I’ve been listened to.
    Fingers, toes, eyes all crossed 😃