Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Menopause and Life.

MenopauseorjustmeMenopauseorjustme Posts: 433 Menopause Nurse Practitioner

It is World Menopause Day on Sunday and many of us who support women in Menopause are involved with online webinars raising the issues around women's health, menopause and HRT.

It has very quite on this forum and feel we need to talk more about how menopause has impacted on your quality of life, affected your relationship, your self esteem?

For me, the anxiety was a real problem. I've been lucky that this hadn't affected me before but when it hit it was really unsettling. I felt unable to do easy normal tasks and the thought of pushing myself to do daunting things was a complete no go.

We all know hormones affect us really very significantly but this was on a different level.

So I wanted to ask how menopause has impacted on your life?

let's start a discussion.

Best wishes

Diane Porterfield Bourne.

Comments

• MonicaMMonicaM Posts: 337 ✭✭✭

@Diane Porterfield-Bourne

Menopause has affected my life in many ways not being able to sleep at night really causes issues for me because of lack of sleep. But the good thing is that I have been walking daily and that helps quit a bit. Of course the weight gain makes me upset and depressed at times because I can't get it off no matter what I do so I just have a big stomach. I look like the Grinch from How the Grinch stole Christmas everything else is small and then I have this huge stomach LOL. Luckily I don't get a lot of mood swings but menopause has bothered me quit a bit. As I stated before it makes me feel older and I have to make myself do things so I can feel active again and not get myself caught up in the same old routine. I have to work on my self-esteem daily and my self confidence to know that I am just as good as anyone else but sometimes I don't always feel that way. I try not to go into a deep depression and try to stay as positive as I can but it is hard. Marriage is definitely suffering from these menopause symptoms with the lack of a sex drive, painful sex and it just isn't fun anymore to me.

Menopause is real and I know so many women suffer so much in this area and I just wish all of the symptoms that we all experience would just go away.

• MenopauseorjustmeMenopauseorjustme Posts: 433 Menopause Nurse Practitioner

@MonicaM

Good morning Monica. You are so right, menopause can affect us physically but the psychological effects I think are harder to deal with. Increased anxiety, reduced confidence. Low libido and mood swings put strain on many relationships.

Walking and any exercise really helps but have to discussed HRT with your GP? This is the best treatment in relieving symptoms. Women who have had breast cancer are unlikely to have HRT but otherwise most women can safely take it for years.

It's not raining here at the moment so I will be walking too. With Covid and Autumn there isn't much we can do!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Diane Porterfield Bourne.