Rota changes forcing me to work night shifts.

Does anyone have any advice about approaching my managers about concerns with new rota's? I work on an emergency ambulance and we are changing our rota's, in 18 years I have not been required to work night shifts until late 4 years ago when there was a reorganisation and my role in Urgent Care was disbanded. I was then forced into front line emergency work with full rotating shifts. I could not tolerate night shifts due to fatigue and existing poor sleep patterns.
After being signed off with anxiety/depression I moved to a station with a non night rota. The criteria for a rota is how long you have worked at your current station so I will definitely be at the bottom of the list for a non night rota. Flexible working is also not feasible as you can not have a rota and you are used to fill in any gaps at any stations. This can be extremely stressful as shifts will change constantly if staff return from annual leave etc.
I'm at a complete loss at the prospect of constant instability that is already impacting my sleep.

Answers

• KazKenn24KazKenn24 Posts: 31
    Hi @noelle What a worry for you when you’re  already coping with so much. It’s a massively stressful job that you do, so this will not be helping! Have you had a look at the Menopause at Work section on this website? It may give you some hints, or some printouts to help illustrate the issues you’re having to the people that need to be aware. You can’t be the only woman at work dealing with the menopause. It’s just that we don’t talk about it enough - and we really need to.  Is there a sympathetic person in HR you can have a conversation with? A line manager? Realistically nothing can be resolved if they’re not aware that there’s a concern for you, but I understand completely that it’s a tricky thing to raise.
  • noellenoelle Posts: 3
    Hi, I am a newly appointed Health and Safety rep so we are trying hard to get the menopause recognised with our organisation. However the rota changes matter so much to everyone.
    I have recently returned from long term sickness due to a work injury and it was a bit of a shock to learn as I have only been at this station for 3 years I will not have any seniority. I had to fight to get the rota I'm on as I was passed over twice for the same reason despite mitigating circumstances. I  also had the full support of occupational health and my GP to no avail.
    My worry is the rotas will be allocated before I can raise a grievance or concerns, my managers will not remove staff once the rota is a located. 
    I’m scratching my head here. I understand that the rota affects everyone, and I understand that the job that you all do is stressful for each and everyone of you. I also know that as part of the menopause, there is a massive issue with sleep deprivation which the change in shift pattern will only exacerbate. That’s difficult to cope with in any job, but in your line of work, I’d have thought it was dangerous to work safely with sleep deprivation. It’s good that you’re trying to get the menopause recognised - I hope that shows that your employers are open to discussion. Are you a member of a union with access to legal help? Although I guess there’s always the worry that you stir up a hornets nest. You don’t want to be seen as a trouble maker.  I really feel for you. It was bad enough approaching managers in my office to let them know what was happening. In an ideal world, you should be able to sit down and at least have a conversation with someone in HR and alert them to your concerns. I hope you manage to get it sorted x
  • noellenoelle Posts: 3
    Thanks for your comments it's actually getting me thinking and not stressing.
    I will let you know how I get on.
    noelle said:
    Thanks for your comments it's actually getting me thinking and not stressing.
    I will let you know how I get on.
    I guess sometimes all you need to move you along is someone neutral to listen. I’ll be thinking of you. If I come up with anything I’ll let you know!