Am I going mad? Is this another of those odd menopause side effects?

KazKenn24KazKenn24 Posts: 31
edited December 2018 in What's on your mind?
This is going to sound very odd I'm sure. I wonder if anyone else has found something similar?
I drive everyday. Kids to school and college, errands, dog walking, shopping. I think nothing of jumping in the car and spending four hours on the road to get to see friends and family. I'm always going somewhere. And I drive perfectly well. In fact, I'd say I was a competent, calm and confident driver.
So why, all of a sudden when I'm a passenger in the car, do I whimper, and fake brake, and think we're too close to the edge of the road, I can't stop pointing out hazards that I see in case the driver has missed them. I'm a mess. I wouldn't want to drive with someone like me in the front seat.....
I've had my eyes checked and they're fine. The driver (usually my husband) is a great driver. I've always felt safe with him. And yet, I cannot sit comfortably in a car these days unless I'm in the driving seat.
I'm only associating it with the menopause, because I remember my mother behaving in a similar way. We all used to dread getting in the car with her. All of a sudden, around the time I remember her becoming moody and weepy, and hot and bothered all the time (how I wish I'd known then that the menopause had a hold on my poor Mum!) she also became the nightmare passenger - and there was no apparent reason. She was a driver in the Military Police as a career  - so perfectly competent! She was confused and did all the things I've done. She got her eyes checked. She even tried hypnosis. all to no effect.
I don't think it's just that I'm some kind of car control freak (I've never been that way before!) -  I just don't know why it's appening all of a sudden, I want it to stop, and I just can't help feeling that it's tied up in some of these awful menopause symptoms we are all dealing with.
Any thoughts or help anyone?

Comments

• LoopylooLoopyloo Posts: 2
    Hello, I'm new to this forum and have been in tears of sadness and realisation reading some of the comments.  I thought I was going mad as I have all of the symptoms except the hot flushes.  I was with my husband only yesterday as a passenger in his van and I actually said to him that my spacial awareness has got up and gone.  I was a wreck by the time I got home as I spent the whole journey thinking he drove to close to the hedges, drove too fast, didn't see the potholes, didnt put his lights on in time, didn't break quick enough.  What on earth is going on. 
  • KazKenn24KazKenn24 Posts: 31
    Loopyloo said:
    Hello, I'm new to this forum and have been in tears of sadness and realisation reading some of the comments.  I thought I was going mad as I have all of the symptoms except the hot flushes.  I was with my husband only yesterday as a passenger in his van and I actually said to him that my spacial awareness has got up and gone.  I was a wreck by the time I got home as I spent the whole journey thinking he drove to close to the hedges, drove too fast, didn't see the potholes, didnt put his lights on in time, didn't break quick enough.  What on earth is going on. 
    Hello @Loopyloo! Welcome to our forum. Oh my goodness! Isn't it such a relief when you discover that you aren't the only one? There are so many symptoms of the menopause that it's completely overwhelming at times, but this one?! I wasn't even sure that this was one for a long time. I just don't see how it could be anything else though! That said, I don't know what to do to stop it happening, but I think maybe it's a bit like being unable to sleep. When you can't sleep, it becomes all consuming. You go to bed worrying that you won't sleep. You wake up feeling like you haven't had enough sleep. You worry how your day will go if you can't get some more sleep. Yet, when you stop worrying about it so much and relax, the sleep issue becomes less. I don't know if that makes sense but I hope it's the same with being in the car. Now that I know I'm not the only one, and I'm not imagining it, I hope I can relax and the problem will lessen. Of course, it doesn't make it go away. My other half is very patient but thinks I'm losing my grip sometimes BUT I can hang on by my fingernails now and hope it goes away when the rest of the Menopause madness does. 
  • DizziLadyDizziLady Posts: 7
    Hiya,
    Maybe we are all a bit CRAZY but the putting strange things places is a reality in my house!
    In fact not only have I put the address book in the fridge, the tea towel in the freezer and the butter in the bathroom, I have also lost things that I know I have purchased as I have put them away SAFELY, so safe that I dont find them and have to purchase another gift and then explain months later when I discover the item!
    So glad for a sense of humour, and a husband who may be a little scared, a little confused but at least loves, suppports and most especially puts up with me!
  • KazKenn24KazKenn24 Posts: 31
    DizziLady said:
    Hiya,
    Maybe we are all a bit CRAZY but the putting strange things places is a reality in my house!
    In fact not only have I put the address book in the fridge, the tea towel in the freezer and the butter in the bathroom, I have also lost things that I know I have purchased as I have put them away SAFELY, so safe that I dont find them and have to purchase another gift and then explain months later when I discover the item!
    So glad for a sense of humour, and a husband who may be a little scared, a little confused but at least loves, suppports and most especially puts up with me!
    Hi @DizziLady I know exactly what you mean! A sense of humour goes a long way to getting you through, and a supportive, if confused, husband! It’s also really good to know there are other women doing the same daft things as me!  :)