Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Bone Health in Menopause and Beyond

MenopauseorjustmeMenopauseorjustme Posts: 433 Menopause Nurse Practitioner

Good afternoon everyone.

I just wanted to give a few snippets of information regarding Menopause and developing Osteoporosis.

We gain the most bone density in our 20's and 30's, through diet, genetics and weight bearing exercises.

As our Oestrogen levels start to dwindle the bone turn over is affected and the strong matrix of bone we had weakens. Women who have had an early menopause ( around 40), been on Oestrogen blocking medications, taken long term steroids/other medications may have an increased risk of Osteoporosis.

HRT, exercise, Vitamin D, diet and genetics play a crucial role in slowing this process down.

Unfortunately women with can develop fractures from bumping their limbs into doorways/tables, walking or even wearing shoes...I have seen it.

The consequences can have a huge impact on quality of life. Elderly women often fracture their hip, which has a 20% fatality risk. Approx 5 years after the menopause is when bone density significantly drops...the effects of reduced Oestrogen suddenly more noticeable. The older women can develop fractures from a minor incidents.

If you have a family history, early menopause or worried about your risks, please discuss with your GP.

I have been nursing for over 30 years and nursed elderly women who have fractured their hips. The effects can be life changing; many women have to go into residential or nursing homes, walk with frames, can be in pain and their life changes completely.

In some cases this maybe preventible. Talk to your elderly mothers, grandmothers, look at tripping hazards in their homes, ill fitting shoes/slippers, ensure adequate lighting in homes etc and talk to your GP about how you can reduce their and your risks.

I am looking forward to hearing comments.

Best wishes

Diane Porterfield Bourne.