Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Feeling Hotter in the heat wave?

Diane Porterfield-BourneDiane Porterfield-Bourne Posts: 264 Menopause Nurse Practitioner

Good afternoon ladies.

I was wondering how you are feeling during our mini heat wave?

Any tips on staying cool during the day and night? Other than fans and windows open? And sitting in the fridge?

I have a spray bottle, cold water with essential oils. I spray my bed before I get in it and while my feet are sticking out of the covers, I spray my feet too. Then the cool breeze from the window gives brief but welcome relief.

Put your suggestions

below please!

Comments

• MonicaMMonicaM Posts: 189 mod

Great suggestions I need something to help me with this summer heat. The humidity where I am is so bad and then to sweat all day from the hot flushes, sweating from exercising even if I do something very physically or just walking I sweat a lot and then the night sweats. I am a sweat hot mess. With all of this sweating, you would think I would loose weight LOL.

• Sooz1969Sooz1969 Posts: 2

hi I’m new to this community but iv bought a Chillow which has really helped I put it in the fridge during the day n lie on it at night it’s really helped as I suffer awful night sweats after my hysterectomy .. I never thought I’d be hot have spent the last 51 years being cold!

• Diane Porterfield-BourneDiane Porterfield-Bourne Posts: 264 Menopause Nurse Practitioner

@Sooz1969

Thank you for your suggestions on how to keep cool. It is always good to find out what has helped.

Can I just ask, have you discussed HRT with your GP or gynaecologist? If you have had a hysterectomy, it sounds like you are in the throws of menopause symptoms, caused by the lack of Oestrogen.

It's only a suggestion but I would recommend talking to your GP about this as it sounds like you may benefit from HRT.

Good luck.

Best Wishes

Diane Porterfield Bourne.

• Sooz1969Sooz1969 Posts: 2

Hi thank you for contacting me :)... unfortunately I had stage 4 endometriosis which couldn’t all be removed also every woman in my family other than myself has had breast cancer so I’m not allowed HRT I would love to take it as my symptoms are awful tbh and there’s no help all the gp wants to do is dose me upon antidepressants which I just don’t get on with The pillow helps ... I take pain killers and sleeping pills just to get a few hours sleep too . :( .

• MonicaMMonicaM Posts: 189 mod

@Sooz1969

I am glad the pillow helps you, I just started using it recently but I have been consistently putting it in the refrigerator but I need to remember so at night, I can see if it really works for me. The couple of times that I have used it, it does make me cool down some but not as much as fan but it is a good addition to the fan.

• Diane Porterfield-BourneDiane Porterfield-Bourne Posts: 264 Menopause Nurse Practitioner

@Sooz1969

Good morning and thank you for writing back. Unfortunately you are in a difficult place....giving Oestrogen for most ( but not all) can increase the growth of endometriosis. There are many mixed views on HRT and severe endometriosis. Some bodies say continuous HRT can be taken, others no HRT.

All I can suggest is obviously talking to your GP but seeing how you can reduce stress hormone levels by exercising mindfulness, meditation, CBT and yoga. They have demonstrated to effective and have no side effects. I'm glad you have found products to help control your symptoms too.

Please let us know how you get on and any other tips to help with symptom control.

Best wishes

Diane Porterfield Bourne.