Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Weightgain

SallyHSallyH Posts: 4

I can feel the weight goin on each day. I’m larger than I ever been and it’s depressing when I can’t fit into any of my clothes

Comments

• MonicaMMonicaM Posts: 189 mod

@SallyH

Hi SallyH,

I feel your pain 100 percent. I exercise daily and I walk most days. I have stopped eating fast food and I still can’t lose weight. The only good thing is haven’t gained either. The weight will not go away in my stomach. I understand how this can be depressing because it is and I am soooo frustrated by it. The weight just likes to stay on me and not

I need to follow some of this advice

• JunieJunie Posts: 44 ✭✭

I have gained weight on my stomach, it is frustrating, my clothes don’t fit. my waistline has disappeared.

need to find some comfy underwear.

Junie

• SallyHSallyH Posts: 4

Thank you ladies it lovely to have people that understand. I think my menopause was accelerated when I had chemo. At first I thought I should be grateful to be alive and I am but I still find it frustrating to have a wardrobe of clothes and I only wear the same 4 outfits. I shall take on board advise and think positive or put sparkly eating on and lipstick and own the new me xx

with regards the underwear I’ve gone big to avoid those tell tale lines xxx

big , I need a large kaftan.

question for all, do you wear bras with or without underwire. What makes do you buy that are comfy.

junie

I don’t like non wired bras very much, but I do have one, get both types from bravissimo

Mine are all wired, but I was told non wired are more comfy.

will look at bravissimo

thanks

Junie

@Junie @SallyH

I have both wired and non wired bras but I prefer the non wired bras they are a little more comfortable especially as I seem to get bigger with this weight gain which I am not liking at all. It makes me feel bad when I gain weight especially in the stomach area.

Hi Monica

I am told wired are best for support, and non wired for comfort.

i have gained weight around my stomach, my waistline has disappeared. Need to find comfy bra and knickers.

Junie

• Diane Porterfield-BourneDiane Porterfield-Bourne Posts: 264 Menopause Nurse Practitioner

@Junie

You aren't alone with weight gain around the midriff. The fluctuations in hormones cause us to store fat more around our waist lines, it's not fun and a nightmare to shift.

HRT can help many women but some women are unable to have. HRT is neutral. Neither makes you put weight on or loose it. However if you feel better, have more energy you may exercise more and eat better...

Diet is a massive factor and genetics. Watching what we are eating and not eating too late sound basic answers but sometimes we have to be honest with ourselves too. Alcohol, TV and ice cream, don't help yet most of us do it.

You can feel supported on here.

Best Wishes

Diane Porterfield Bourne.

Hi Diane

yes it is depressing weight gain.

i am doing more walking now.

my diet is not good as I suffer with IBS. I can not eat most things that are healthy, for example fruit and veg.

my gastro consultant is trying to help, and a dietitian at the hospital is running out of ideas. I am wondering if I should find a good nutritionist.

i am not overweight just round the middle.

thanks for your reply

Junie

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 347 Community Admin

@Junie @SallyH

Hello ladies, hope you're doing well!

Just wanted to let you know that we have a live menopause Q&A with @DianePorterfield-Bourne over Zoom this Friday! Thought you might be interested in joining.

We will be covering a range of topics, including:

✅ The stages and common symptoms of the menopause

✅ Anxiety, mood changes and feeling stressed

✅ HRT - facts, risks and benefits

✅ Lifestyle choices to live better with the menopause

You will have the opportunity to listen in and ask questions live, using the chat function - don’t worry, you won’t need to use your camera or mic. 😏

Date and time: 6pm - 6.30pm BST, Friday 26th June

Where: Zoom

How to join: Simply click on the following link at 6pm on the day: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84236189200

Hope to see you there.

Let me know if you have questions!

Blanka x

Community Admin

@Junie

I need to do the same because of the weight in my stomach area and the pressure when I wear bras. It can be uncomfortable at times. If you find a good bra, let me know :)

Still searching for a comfortable one.

will let you know if I find one.

Junie

• Diane Porterfield-BourneDiane Porterfield-Bourne Posts: 264 Menopause Nurse Practitioner

@Junie @MonicaM

Weight gain unfortunately is a sign of us all getting a bit older and producing less oestrogen. We store extra fat.... great and in the worst areas. It doesn't seem to go onto our ankles or fingers but our mid riff.

HRT has a neutral affect on our weight, some women loose, stay the same or put on. However; if you feel better in yourself, sleeping better, eating better, more positive outlook you are more inclined to exercise more and motivated to loose weight.

Weight loss during menopause can be very difficult but not impossible.

Best wishes

• RasrahRasrah Posts: 1

Hi Monica,

Your first post really resonates with me. I exercise every day and being so heavy, it’s hard for me plus I eat moderately and yet it’s impossible for me to lose weight. I am now depressed. I think I’ll ask my doc about HRT.

Thanks, helps to know I’m not alone.

• BunnyD50BunnyD50 Posts: 2

I was told that my weight gain is because fat produces estrogen now that my ovaries have shut down. There is a wonderful retired OB/GYN on YT, Menopause Barbie or Menopause Taylor who will teach you so much about what we're all experiencing and how to make informed decisions for your own body. One size doesn't fit all in when learning to manage and live with menopause. It's the longest stage of our lives and we have the right to feel well.

@Rasrah

It is funny you mentioned about speaking to your doctor. I just sent my doctor an email about how frustrated I am with my weight gain. I am starting to feel very depressed about it as well. I just started hormones recently I have gained 6 pounds in less than 7 weeks and I can't tell you how upset I am. I am not a doctor and I am not stating here that hormone therapy isn't good and it makes everyone gain weight. I am just stating for me it seems to be making me gain weight. I am having a very hard time with it. I can't seem to eat right or exercise right to really see a significant amount of weight come off.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know

Thanks

@BunnyD50

Hi BunnyD50

I watched menopause Barbie a couple of times on Youtube but didn't continue watching it maybe I will go back and look at more of our videos.

Thanks for the suggestion

@Rasrah

Weight gain in menopause is very very common and most of it normally goes on our waists..

As our ovaries are not producing much Oestrogen our levels reduce. Fat is deposited in the adipose tissue to help produce some Oestrogen but this isn't what we want!

Menopause makes us gain weight but HRT does not. However some women will put weight on, others remain the same, some loose weight. We are all different.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.

Best wishes