Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Side effects of HRT or just age!

BringitonBringiton Posts: 4

I have been suffering with the most awful pains in both my arms. Mainly top of shoulder. I love my fitness and these past few months I am finding it harder to do things with my arms (pilates - planks, press-ups etc). So frustrating and in these hard times I can't visit my osteopath.

Comments

• IzzyBIzzyB Posts: 2

Does anyone else suffer from burning feet at night. There are times when the burning goes up my leg. I don’t even know if it’s a symptom of menopause. My doctor said “I’ve never heard of that one” and seemed rather amused. For me it’s far from amusing because I can’t sleep as I’m constantly trying to find a cold part of the bed or trying to sleep with my foot against a metal radiator.

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 346 Community Admin

Hi @Bringiton and @IzzyB,

Aches and pains are unfortunately a quite common symptom of the menopause. You might find that your range of motion changes, too.

Many women on here take magnesium. Glucosamine might also help with bone and joint health. @Julie20 and @MonicaM, I know you experienced something similar before, any advice?

We've written a couple of articles that might be useful to read:

I'm no expert myself, however we do have a lovely menopause nurse on here @DianePorterfield-Bourne who will be able to give you further advice. Diane, I hope you don't mind me tagging you in this discussion. Can you shed some light on this, can increased aches and pains be a side effect of HRT? 🤔

Hope this helps.

Best,

Blanka x

• BringitonBringiton Posts: 4

Blanka,

Thank you for the information. I feel I am so lucky that I haven't had many symptoms while going through the menopause. I must admit I didn't even consider my aches being part of the menopause. I am hoping to get to my Osteopath when lockdown finishes so I can be checked out. Since February I also became a vegetarian so was thinking there may be another link!

The joys of getting older 😏

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 346 Community Admin

Hi @Bringiton,

Getting checked out is a good idea. It's interesting you mention diet - again, I'm not an expert, but I did notice increased bone pain since being veggie (or more like trying to be, with occasional fried chicken wings😁). I'm not sure there's a link either but definitely interesting.

I take magnesium and vitamin D which slightly helps.

• MonicaMMonicaM Posts: 187 mod

Hello @Bringiton

I understand about the joint pains. I get lower back pain quit a bit and sometimes my shoulder hurts if I do certain exercises and yes, some of it I feel contributes to menopause and some of it with me getting older. I agree with you the joys of getting older. Sometimes I wake up with different aches and pains form time to time and say wow now this hurts. I do try to walk or keep up with exercise and I think that helps me reduce some of my joint pain and issues.

My husband has been a vegetarian for years about 20 I think now he seems to have adjusted very well to that lifestyle. I keep saying that I am going to convert over to one 100% and I haven't done it yet. I have cooked and eaten several vegetarian foods but I don't know what is stopping me. Hopefully if I do decide to commit and do it that it won't give me any additional aches and pains. I don't need anymore 😀.

I hope the supplements will help you feel better.

• Diane Porterfield-BourneDiane Porterfield-Bourne Posts: 262 Menopause Nurse Practitioner

@Bringiton

Thank you for your post, I was reading it and thought I'd reply too.

I know it was a few weeks ago but how are you doing now? Getting better? worse or remaining the same?

If there is a possibility of injury then this needs checking out with your GP/ED. GP's are seeing people now, its obviously very different but primarily you may just need a phone consultation.

Joint pains are a common symptom in menopause. HRT can benefit many women. Your GP can discuss this with you if they think this is the cause. @Blanka_C and @MonicaM have provided you with some good advice and information. Please let us know how you are feeling now.

Best wishes

Diane Porterfield Bourne.

• Diane Porterfield-BourneDiane Porterfield-Bourne Posts: 262 Menopause Nurse Practitioner

@IzzyB

Thank you for talking about your symptoms. Burning feet is not a symptom I have commonly heard of but altered sensation to extremities is. I guess this be could what this is. What did your GP advice? suggest?

Did your GP think there was another cause?

It sounds like it is disturbing your sleep which will have an impact on your quality of life.

If you are having other menopausal symptoms or there is a good chance you are menopausal then low Oestrogen could be a factor.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Take care

Best wishes

Diane Porterfield Bourne.