Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

I think I might be going through menopause

KorinaKorina Posts: 2

Hi All, It is difficult to know where to start. I am 47 and will be 48 in July and had a partial hysterectomy when I was 30. My best friend approached me letting me know that she has noticed my mood swings and that I have been abrupt when I speak to some people at times, she was sure I was not aware. She has also mentioned that I have been vague and very forgetful amongst other concerns. My boss came into my office to talk about my work performance. I overheard my boss speaking to her boss, she said that she thinks I have some mental health problems which is difficult for her to deal with. Once I was informed of these things about me, I thought it was best I look into why so I did some research and found a website regarding 34 symptoms of menopause. I read through all of the symptoms and found that I have 24 out of the 34 symptoms. I have been doing a lot more research on menopause to learn more about it and how I can help myself, I never thought that at my age I could be going through it. I will make an appointment with my GP on Monday for testing and treatment, I plan on starting to exercise, have less caffeine, sugar and hopefully found a group here that I can talk about my experiences.

Comments

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 335 mod

Hi @Korina thank you for reaching out. It does sound like you may be perimenopausal. This can start quite early and go on for years before you become menopausal. You have a lot of the symptoms and until you know what it is you do feel like you are going crazy. I didn't realise how bad my mood swings were becoming until I started hrt and started to feel myself again, it was only then that I realised how bad it had become.

Would you be prepared to go on to hrt? Just to see if you started to feel well again.

A hysteroscopy will always push you towards menopause even if it was a partial one.

The symptoms make you feel quite unwell. I would go from wanting to rip everyone's head off one minute to laughing to crying all in a matter of minutes.

You can try herbal remedies such as sage or menopace which do help while you are waiting for a Dr appointment.

Keep me updated but please don't think you are losing the plot because you aren't. X

• MonicaMMonicaM Posts: 192 mod

@Korina

Hi Korina,

Thank you again for your post, I agree with @Julie20 it does sound like perimenopause. This group is a great group to receive the support that you need while going through this part of your life. The symptoms can be overwhelming sometimes and make you feel like another person. Please remember that in this group we are all going through this and are here to help.

Hopefully the doctor can provide you with some remedies to help you with your symptoms.

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 349 Community Admin

Hi @Korina,

I agree with the ladies above, it does sound like perimenopause!

Just wanted to share a couple of articles we've written. They might be useful, I do appreciate you've done a fair bit of research already, but it's always good to keep learning. These have lots of tips from women in our community that could help, including supplements, lifestyle choices, etc:

We also have an article on HRT (hormonal replacement therapy) coming up very soon, I'll post it here when it's published. :)

How did your appointment go on Monday? x

Best,

Blanka

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 349 Community Admin

Oh and in the meantime, we do have a lovely menopause nurse @DianePorterfield-Bourne on here who can answer your menopause-related questions. She has her own menopause clinic and prescribes HRT, so can advise you on the risks and benefits too. You can ask her here (for free of course):

Keep safe ❤️

• Diane Porterfield-BourneDiane Porterfield-Bourne Posts: 267 Menopause Nurse Practitioner

@Korina

Hello there. I can see a few people offering you support and evidenced based information.

I am so pleased your friend spoke to you about this as sometimes it's very difficult to see these things ourself.

You had a partial hysterectomy over 10 years ago, did you have HRT? You definitely sound like you are experiencing menopausal symptoms.

Firstly and most importantly if you think your work is being affected by your symptoms, please see your GP straight away. Did you see your GP Monday? Explain what has been happening. Once your GP is aware of your symptoms, they can make a probable diagnosis and it will be documented.

See how things go on at work.....look on the intranet do they have a Menopause Policy? If not they should. Are you in a union? Look for support. Brain fog, mood swings are very very common features of low Oestrogen and your work can be affected by it. This is up to you but I would strongly advice seeking some legal advice too. As they may put you on performance reviews etc.... but if you have a diagnosis of menopause this could be a contributing factor.

Look on line at Unions and Menopause, just to get some extra information. Unfortunately I have spoken to many ladies who have gone to disciplinary's, please protect yourself and write in for more support.

Best Wishes

Diane Porterfield Bourne.

• KorinaKorina Posts: 2

Hi All

Thank you for your advice and support, i have not been on for a while because the site was not working for me, my husband downloaded Chrome so it is working now. I did have a GP appointment, started on HRT patch, had a blood test which showed that I am going through menopause.

Due to my poor performance I do feel I am going through discipline, they say it is not but when they get HR involved it is obvious, i guess they say it is not discipline because I have officially been diagnosed and only been on treatment for 1 1/2 weeks and it takes 3 months to work. You would think that they would wait and see if my performance improves with treatment before they get HR involved.

Yes I am in a union, I hope it does not go that far.

I have also downloaded some relaxation podcasts before sleep and am going to bed much earlier to relax before bed time and am finding my sleep has slightly improved. I still get panic attacks and cry at nothing which I am sure that will get better.

I will look at the websites thank you, you can never learn too much of what you are going through and it is great to know I am not alone.

Take care

Korina

• Diane Porterfield-BourneDiane Porterfield-Bourne Posts: 267 Menopause Nurse Practitioner

@Korina

I was just looking through some posts and saw yours. I was wondering how you were getting on? How is work? Did anything progress with a disciplinary? or not?

How is your HRT? have you noticed any improvements?

Please write back and let us know how things are going.

We are here to support you; listen and advise.

Take care

Diane Porterfield Bourne.