Home Menopause Forum Menopause at Work

No support at work

RevmiddRevmidd Posts: 5
edited June 26 in Menopause at Work

Hi I'm going through menopause & not getting any support at all at work. Have told them I'm going through it but they are not listening. They are keep trying to put me on jobs I'm not able todo. You need full 100% accuracy which I'm not able to give. I suffer with anxiety anyway but making me even worse. I have other health concerns which they know about but they not interested. They think I'm putting it on. I'd given them proof from my GP with a sick not for light duties & as soon as that came to an end. They keep trying to put me on jobs i can't do. I feel so ill at times. Been to union & told them the reply I got was not my fault your going through menopause. I walked out. Don't know what todo nxt as I live on my own & can't afford to go on sick leave.

Comments

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 334 mod

Hi @Revmidd. I'm. So sorry you are going through this alone and feel that you aren't getting the support you need at work. Can I firstly ask what sort of job you do? Was it the union that told you its not their fault you are going through menopause? As they aren't actually allowed to do this. They must support you. Do you have an occupational health department that you can be referred to? As if so that would be my first go to for support. No employer can go against what occy health say so you need them onside. If not occy health do you have a HR department? You can request a meeting with them to discuss how you are feeling.

Employers must now take menopause in to consideration as it is something all women go through and can not help.

Do you get sick pay? If so I would ask the gp to sign you off for a few weeks as you are being made more unwell by the way you are being treated at work.

Keep me updated and God luck k love x

• RevmiddRevmidd Posts: 5

Hi julie thanks for the reply. I have seen occy health they said I should have rest when I need it not be on my feet constantly. Not to lift over 10k. He was really understanding. I work in a warehouse. It's hard work. Union have said they are only recommendations. & they have supported me. I have back problems a bulge on lumber part of my spine & hallux limitus & mortons neroma. Had injections but not worked. They are using bullying tactics all time. Occy health have said they are chronic illnesses. On a wed when I'm on days they close our department down. Bullying people to go picking & I can't do it. They have given me 3 options go home without pay. Put a holiday in or go on afters shift. Get even more anxious when that day comes. I feel very poorly at times & feel they are making my job harder for me. So that they can someway get rid of me. They have said their is no other job for me. Not accomodating me in another job roll. Been their nearly 14 & year. I've had 3 operations in three years had all my sick pay. So can't have anymore time off as I live on my own & cant afford go pay mortgage on sick pay. Hr are a waste of time aswell.

Hi @Revmidd I'm not ignoring you I just need to have a think about this one as you are not being treated fairly or legally. Would you mind if I spoke to my boss at work and see what she says on legalities of it. Obviously I won't mention names or show her your post but I would like to see how it works from a legal point of view.

Hold tight and stay strong luv x

I have put a grievance in about my boss. She is bullying me. Feel like I'm getting singled out & been discriminated against my illness. That was Feb 2020. They been trying to get rid of me for a while that's how I feel by making my job hard for me todo. At times they leave me on middle floor of my job on my own. It's horrible. If they finish me i will lose my house as i live on my own & no insurance on my house. Yes it's fine to speak to your boss. Thankyou

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 346 Community Admin

Good afternoon @Revmidd,

I am so sorry to hear you are going through this. No one should experience such horrible things. As Julie says, the menopause is something all employers must consider. Your employer should listen to you, let alone bully you.

I'm not an expert when it comes to the legal aspect of your case, however I wanted to let you know that we have a very friendly menopause nurse @DianePorterfield-Bourne on here who might be able to give you some guidance. She has helped companies adopt menopause policies and holds menopause workshops regularly. Diane, is this particular case something you can help with? Either from a communications and / or a legal point of view?

@Revmidd, I tagged Diane in this discussion so she can see this. She'll get back to you soon.

In the meantime, we have a couple of resources you might find useful going through.

We also have downloadable workplace resources. I'll dig them out for you in a minute!

Blanka x

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 346 Community Admin

Just found them!

Please keep on being strong. I hope Diane will be able to help further! x

Thankyou so much for the reply. It means alot & to talk to someone who understands what I'm going through. Revmidd

Hi @Revmidd. I'm just checking on how you are? I haven't forgotten about you but I'm still trying to gain some information for you.

Stay strong you will get through this x

Every day is different but it's really hard to cope especially when people don't want to understand what your going through. Dreading going to work tomm. I know for a fact I will be very anxious before hand. If only I got the support! Gonna try & get some sleep.

• Diane Porterfield-BourneDiane Porterfield-Bourne Posts: 262 Menopause Nurse Practitioner

@Revmidd and @Julie20 @Blanka_C

Thank you for including me in your discussions.

You have been given some great advice.

Are you in a union? If not could you talk to unions or seek legal advice ( probably free of charge) and see where you stand legally.

You have some health problems and are under your GP and occ. health. That is great, they should be supporting you. Your GP is a legal body, your employer can't over rule your GP. I would suggest calling or seeing your GP and ensure they are fully informed of your on going situation. This will be documented.

As far as the menopause is concerned all work places should have a Menopause policy, just as a policy for pregnancy etc. But in my experience this is often not the case. If your place of work does not have one, this will look unfavourable upon them as how can support all women in the work place? Food for thought.

Occ. health can support you with this, as menopause will affect every women, this won't just be affecting you...

Please discuss your symptoms with your GP and do discuss how you are feeling/symptoms etc. Ask your GP to discuss HRT with you as this is the best treatment for menopause. It isn't something every women can have and its a personal choice ( as with taking any prescribed medications) but the majority of women find it works very well. Anxiety, low confidence are extremely common during the menopause and HRT can significantly improve your quality of life.

I hope I have helped too.

I have very similar conversations with many women, you are not alone.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Best Wishes

Diane Porterfield Bourne.