Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

New to peri menopause

Hello so I guess I’ve had some symptoms for a while but finally went to the dr after blessing for over 3 week, It’s confirmed I’m peri menopause and I don’t know how to deal with this. I feel tired all the time have no go about me and want to cry all the time. She did put me on the pill just started it today. I don’t know how to explain to family my moods

Comments

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 349 Community Admin

Hi @Scotelsalv,

Welcome to the community! And welcome to the world of menopause.

Unfortunately feeling emotional (or having mood swings) is a symptom that many women on here experience / experienced before. Mood swings are caused by changing hormone levels. Oestrogen levels begin to decline and fluctuate. Your body also produces less progesterone - both of these hormones influence the production of something called serotonin, which regulates your mood. When hormone levels change, so do levels of serotonin, making your emotions less predictable and more extreme.

While this is normal, there are a couple of things that could help. I have no experience with HRT but I know some of the ladies on here have. HRT eventually is supposed to help with anxiety, mood swings etc, but might take some time for your body to get used to it. So just hang in there.

Mindfulness can also be a powerful tool to 'quiet your mind'. Actually, we've got a Sleep & Mindfulness Expert @Becks_Armstrong here on the forum who will be able to help you with some tips! She's the founder of a mindfulness app called Clarity. I practice mindfulness every day myself and it really helps me calm down.

If you like reading, we've written lots of informative articles about the emotional & mental impact of the menopause, I'd recommend reading the following:

Feeling stressed, sad or snappy

The truth about menopause and mood swings

Talking to your family about your mood swings is a really good idea. Communication is key! I'm sure once they understand it is not you, 'it's the menopause', they will be very understanding. I remember when my mother started the menopause she got angry, irritated and overwhelmed in a second without a reason and we would all get frustrated and say 'yeah mum's being weird again'. This went on for years before we all sat down and had a conversation about what was actually happening. It did help TREMENDOUSLY, for all of us. @Julie20 and @MonicaM, hope you don't mind me tagging you in this discussion, how did you find talking to your family / partner about the menopause?

Actually @Scotelsalv, this article called 'How to talk to your family about the menopause' might be something to look at!

I take B12 and maca for fatigue (side effect of antidepressants) and they do help slightly.

Hope this helps a bit, the most important thing is that you now have a support network, everyone on here is super friendly and supportive - and is going through the same thing. If you just need someone to talk to, even for some chit-chat, we're here. xx

Best,

Blanka ❤️

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 349 Community Admin
  • MonicaMMonicaM Posts: 192 mod

@Scotelsalv

Welcome to the group. The symptoms can be very overwhelming at first. I have been going through my symptoms for about 7 years and I am trying to see if I can find some relief with at least the two most problematic ones hot flushes and night sweats. The night sweats keep me up at night so that is frustrating would like to get a good nights sleep.

The way I told my husband years ago we made an appointment with the doctor and she spoke to both of us about what was going on so that he could understand it. I think because we have been dealing with it for awhile my husband has gotten use to it to some degree. My mom and I talk about it from time to time because she went through her but during her day and age she said no one talked about it so she is glad that their are forums and avenues now for women to talk about it.

If you can't get to your doctor then maybe just sent down with your husband or significant other and speak to him about it. The article Blanka attached should help. Also make sure you have a support group like this community or people that you can talk to about it so you don't feel so alone.

Keep us updated and let us know how the medication works for you.