Welcome to our Community!

KazKaz Posts: 36 mod
edited December 2018 in What's on your mind?
Hello!
We are very excited to introduce you to our new Menopause Community Forum. 
We are delighted  you’ve decided to join us! 
It would be great if together, we could make this space one of the main places for you to go to for support, or to pick up hints and tips for all things menopausal, from the people who understand the most - other menopausal and perimenopausal women! 
Whether it’s hot flushes, brain fog, sleepless nights, excessive bleeding, HRT or one of the many, MANY symptoms that we deal with every day, or perhaps it's just a friendly ear you need, we want you to feel free to share your experiences here. 
When you’re ready, we’d love you to introduce yourselves and tell us a little bit about you and why you’ve joined our community. You’ll be surrounded by women who are going through similar experiences, and you’ll be treated with kindness and respect. 
Ultimately, this is your space, and it’s important to have you help us build it into the resource that you need.
A reminder though, this should be a safe place for all of our users to visit, so please be mindful that surnames, email addresses, phone numbers and addresses should not be shared. 
Welcome to our community. 
We look forward to getting to know you all! 😊 

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 36 mod
    I'm going to jump on in with an introduction from me.

I'm Karen. An almost fifty year old Mum of two teenage boys. Married to a lovely man, who works abroad in blocks of three months, and we have two gorgeous dogs and some guinea pigs to make up the family unit.

I LOVE this community, and all that it offers. I wish I’d had somewhere like this to go to or someone to talk to so many times over the last few years. Just someone to tell me I wasn’t alone dealing with this menopause "thing", and to reassure me that I wasn’t turning into a complete fruitcake! That what I was feeling, and the symptoms I was experiencing were completely real, and not something I was making up in my head! It’s important to know that I’m not the only one answering the remote control instead of the phone, trying to get out of the car without unclipping the seatbelt, or crying at every programme on the TV for no apparent reason!  Pregnancy brain is well documented, but the mind blips that come along with the menopause aren’t quite so well reported and can be frightening! It's time that as women, we lift each other up and support one another to feel better about something that’s entirely natural, if not downright awful to deal with at times! THAT'S what this forum has to offer us all.

I’ve been coping with the menopause since I had an early hysterectomy 15 years ago. I continued to have periods after my hysterectomy (who even knew that was a remote possibility!) and had to deal with that until I could get someone to believe me and help.  Like a lot of you, I’ve had a tricky time, and I’ve worked hard to deal with what life has thrown at me.  I’m the woman who has read all the articles I could find. HRT wasn’t an option for me due to migraines, so I’ve  had to cope pretty much on my own. The internet has been a real friend guiding me towards so many things.  Black cohosh and red clover. More supplements than I care to remember!  Magnets in my knickers, magnets on my wrists, silk pillow cases, cooling water sprays, gel pillows, breathable fabrics, anti depressants, electric fans blowing a gale through my bedroom.  I’ve had a go at a lot of things to bring relief from the worst of the symptoms. Some things worked, and some things didn’t, but the important thing was taking control and being open to finding what worked for me. Being positive despite all the symptoms was hard but really helps.

I think it’s also important to recognise the partners and family members that experience all these symptoms  alongside us. The mood swings, the sweats, the ditsy days, the sweats, the brain farts, the sweats.
    Throw in the teenager hormones in the house, and we should applaud ourselves for managing to stick together and make it all work! Most days!

I still experience horrible hot flashes, anxiety and the curse of the sleepless nights, so I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone else is dealing with, and what you do to cope with the symptoms. 

Mostly I'm excited to hear about other ladies in the forum, and learn from your stories.

Kaz 

• Martha2018Martha2018 Posts: 1
    Hi I've just joined as I've been told after having my bloods tested again that I am now menopausal.  I have 4 children eldest 18 and youngest 5.  I don't look my age (48) and I'm surrounded by younger women as I had my two younger children at 41 and 43.  I feel I'm going mad some days and just want to sleep.  I'm a confident woman normally but this has hit me so badly. x
    Hi I've just joined as I've been told after having my bloods tested again that I am now menopausal.  I have 4 children eldest 18 and youngest 5.  I don't look my age (48) and I'm surrounded by younger women as I had my two younger children at 41 and 43.  I feel I'm going mad some days and just want to sleep.  I'm a confident woman normally but this has hit me so badly. x
    Hello Martha2018 
    Welcome along - it’s nice to have you here! You have my admiration! Menopausal with teenagers AND little folk! You’re a warrior! Although I’m sure that you feel anything but most days  :)
    I completely understand what you’re saying. All I want for Christmas is 12 hours uninterrupted sleep (actually more than two or three hours would be a bonus) and to feel more like the “old” me. Menopause just turns everything on its head. 
    That makes it seem like it’s all bad news, and it isn’t really. Since I’ve joined the forum and started to see what other women are dealing with, as strange as it may seem, it actually helps to know that I’m not on my own. In some ways that let’s me relax a bit about what’s happening to me, and everything is a bit easier to cope with. 
    I hope you enjoy spending some time with us. Please let us know if you have questions. And once again, a very warm welcome to you. Kaz  :)

• helalisohelaliso Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I’m Helen. I’ve been perimenopausal for 4 -5 years now. I’m managing the hot flashes with Sage supplements but the lack of sleep, brain fog and low low libido is getting me down- and my patient hubby of 5 years! 
    I had 3 miscarriages and no resulting children and IVF which caused a problem with me taking hormones so no HRT will help! 
    I have a stressful full on job as a Registered Nurse managing a nursing home. I need to be alert and on the ball but I need strong down time with my husband. 
    He wants me to go to my GP but I’m reluctant as I have been before. I’ve put on 2 stone which upsets me but diets don’t work! 
    Help!!!!!!
    helaliso said:
    Hi,
    I’m Helen. I’ve been perimenopausal for 4 -5 years now. I’m managing the hot flashes with Sage supplements but the lack of sleep, brain fog and low low libido is getting me down- and my patient hubby of 5 years! 
    I had 3 miscarriages and no resulting children and IVF which caused a problem with me taking hormones so no HRT will help! 
    I have a stressful full on job as a Registered Nurse managing a nursing home. I need to be alert and on the ball but I need strong down time with my husband. 
    He wants me to go to my GP but I’m reluctant as I have been before. I’ve put on 2 stone which upsets me but diets don’t work! 
    Help!!!!!!
    Hi Helen. It’s good to have you here. Thanks for sharing your story. Lots of us will empathise with your sleep issues, and I’m sure if we could solve that, the rest would seem far more manageable. You’ve had a lot to deal with, and it seems really unfair that the menopause is adding more stress! I feel like you about going to my GP, which Is daft as that’s what they’re there for, but I chose to try various things to find out what worked for me. I wasn’t able to take HRT, and I didn’t want to be offered more anti depressants, so I did some digging and I find I manage by taking 5htp and magnesium. My mood has definitely improved, and slowly my sleep is improving. That in turn helps with my libido, and the brain fog seems less. If I could just crack the hot flushes it would be a bonus. I’ve stopped worrying about the weight gain. I figure that once everything is on more of an even keel, the weight will stabilise. I just try to move as much as I can - walk the dogs, gardening etc. I feel sorry for my husband. I’m sure there are lots of times that he just doesn’t understand why I get up in the middle of the night, or am never in the mood - but he says it helps that I keep telling him how I’m feeling, and what my symptoms are. I’ve even shown him some of the information on this website, and I think he finally gets that it’s a genuine problem and I’m not rejecting him. I used to do a similar job to you, and it was very much full on. I’m glad I don’t have that to deal with any more - and I completely understand how hard it is to stay focussed when you’re dealing with so many other things, and just aren’t feeling great. If you look around the site, there are lots of women taking lots of things to deal with various symptoms. I think the best thing I’ve got from being here is the knowledge that I’m not on my own, and a few hints from other women about what I can do about it.
    I am trying a new supplement to improve my sleep, and I’ve had a couple of nights with really good results. I’m going to give it a week or so before I suggest it because it’s quite expensive, and I want to be sure that it’s not just because I’m shattered that I’ve slept! If it’s still working after a week or so, I’ll let you know! K  :)