Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Back Ache

JulesLJulesL Posts: 4

Hi all,

I have been a member for a while and have enjoyed reading all the advise and tips to help get through this difficult time of life. I would like to ask the community if any of you suffer from lower back ache/pain and if this is connected to perimenopause symptoms? I have been suffering with lower back ache for a while now and have tried stretching and Pilates to help but nothing seem to ease it completely. I am very active as I have a dog and walk 2-3 miles everyday. I was also wondering if any vitamins would be helpful for back ache as I only take a multi vitamin at the moment and also for tiredness as some days the tiredness and fatigue seem to be overwhelming.

Many thanks

Jules

Comments

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 345 mod

Hi @JulesL. I also suffer with lower back pain and pain in my hips too. Not sure ifs it's menopause related as I also suffer with osteoarthritis so have always just assumed it's that.

I take magnesium with b12 tablets and they do help slightly x

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 406 Community Admin

@JulesL

Hi Jules,

My mother had severe pain in her back and hips as well when going through perimenopause. Although I'm not sure it's 100% menopause-related as she always had achy joints, just not as bad as it is right now. She takes magnesium as well and uses a lavender muscle rub which supposed to have anti-inflammatory properties.

I also have extremely painful legs (though in my case it's not the menopause, I used to dance and it completely wrecked my knees and feet). I take glucosamine, magnesium and vitamin D. These are supposed to help with bone health in general.

By the way, have you tried asking our onsite Nutritionist, @Nicki_Williams for advice? I'm sure she'll be able give you more tips. Here's the link to her Expert thread:

Can I ask what vitamin you take for fatigue? I sleep 9 hours a day, exercise, eat healthy and still feel exhausted all the time.

Best,

Blanka x

• JulesLJulesL Posts: 4

Hi Julie20,

Thanks for your reply I will definitely try the magnesium as this seem to be good for tiredness too.

Take care

Jules

• JulesLJulesL Posts: 4

@Blanka_C

Hi Blanka,

Thank you for your reply. I just take a multi vitamin at the moment but feel that this isn't really hitting the mark, and with my back aching too I fell I need a bit more of a targeted approach.

I did notice in TraceyJ's post that magnesium was also mentioned for joint ache, so after reading your suggestions also with a little more research I have got cod liver oil + glucosamine with added Vitamin C+D which is supposed to be good for overall join health with vit C for collagen which helps cartilage. Also calcium with magnesium which should help bones and muscle, tiredness and fatigue. So I'm going to ditch the multi vits as I do have a good healthy diet and try these two instead for a month and see what happens!

I think some of my tiredness comes from waking up quite often at night, either because of my back or night sweats. I don't get as much sleep as 9 hours but like you I do exercise and eat healthy so I hope the magnesium may help. As you suggest I will also ask Nicki as this may give me some other things I can change, but thank you so much for your suggestions as it gave me a good starting point as to what might work.

I'll report back next month

Take care

Jules

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 406 Community Admin

@JulesL

Hi Jules, sounds like a good plan! I'm definitely curious to see how you'll get along.

In the meantime, if you're up for reading, you might want to look at some of the articles we've written about aches & pains during the menopause plus supplements to try. I'd recommend the following:

Aches and pains during the menopause

Weaker Muscles and Bones

Menopause supplements - a beginner's guide

Take care,

Blanka x