Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Hot flushes and heartrate

LilLil Posts: 6

I have been going through the menopause for 11 years and it seems worse than ever. My hot flushes come mainly at night and when they do my heart rate goes exceedingly high. My best friend is my fan and the garden- to cool down. I am getting worried as it is often near 140 bpm. Can anyone help me on this. I cant go to the doctors because oc the virus.

Comments

• MonicaMMonicaM Posts: 337 ✭✭✭

@Lil I haven't been going through hot flushes as long as you have but I definitely can understand the frustration of it. I have been battling this for 7 years now and like you the fan is right there with me especially at bedtime. I feel so badly because my husband is freezing but I don't have a choice. The night sweats get so bad at times.

Here is an article that may help you some but as far as the heart rate unfortunately I can't give medical advise but maybe you can speak to your GP over the phone and tell him/her your concerns and maybe they can advise you that way.

I hope this article can help you to obtain some relief.

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 406 Community Admin

Hi @Lil,

How are you doing now?

I just wanted to let you know that we now have a lovely Menopause Nurse here on the community (she's called Diane) who will be able to answer any menopause-related question you have. I'd recommend reaching out to her in the meantime you cannot go visit your GP. You can ask her here:

Hang in there.

Blanka x

• LilLil Posts: 6

Hi Diane

I have been having in the menopause for 11 years, for 6 of these I took HRT. Ive had cancer previously and am now aged 60. The nightly hot flushes are not going away in fact they seem to be getting worse. My heart rate is approx 75 rpm but when I have a hot flush it goes to 130 -135. I cannot see my gp at the moment but I get very worried as my mother had a stroke and a heart attack. When my heart goes up like this I cool myself down very quickly. Can i do anything else to improve my health.

Thanks Lil

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 406 Community Admin

@DianePorterfield-Bourne

Hi Diane,

Hope you don't mind me tagging you in this discussion. Are you able to give advice to @Lil?

Thanks so much in advance. x

@Lil, as you can see I've tagged Diane in this discussion so she'll be in touch soon. Have a great day!

• LianaLiana Posts: 1

Hi Lil ,I have the exact thing going on with myself,I m going through the perimenopause at the moment and all I can say is that my heart is playing up at the moment ,I am 42 years old ,exercise and eat healthily ,unfortunately I ended up one day in an ambulance as I thought I will have a heart attack ,my heart rate was 135 over an hour or so ,I saw this great cardiologist who examined my heart ,luckily my heart is pretty healthy and what he prescribed me was betaBlockers ,they just keep your heart rate pretty steady ,I am not on them at the moment ,I just take them when my heart rate goes up ,which is my doctor advised me ,and what I can say is they are fantastic,I couldn’t even leave the house before being scared if my heart would play up in public or at work ,I keep them with me all the time ,they are not a treatment but God they are a life savour in the moment that your heart rate goes up .

ask your doctor about them and good luck ,we women go through so much ,sometimes I wish I was a man ,much easier

• MenopauseorjustmeMenopauseorjustme Posts: 430 Menopause Nurse Practitioner

@Lil

Thank you for posting.

Apologies for the delay in replying to you.

Firstly please don't feel you can't contact your GP. Some GP practices are seeing patients. Some are only taking calls. Most are selecting who they can see. You can call and chat to your GP, this won't be a problem.

Menopause affects all women, some women have few symptoms others more. We are all different.

If you are over 45 you do not need a blood test to diagnose menopause. Listening to your symptoms should be all that's needed. However if your GP thinks it might be other things then a blood test may point them in the right direction.

Hot flushes are very common! It sounds like you are having them, so worth asking your GP's advise. Many women experience palpitations with hot flushes. If you are getting any chest pain, shortness of breath or dizziness when you get palpitations you must discuss with your GP.

HRT is first line treatment i menopause. However with a history of cancer you would need to ask your GP about the type of cancer you had. Some women can still have HRT after cancer.

Please drink plenty of water as dehydration an be a problem, eat a healthy well balanced diet, reduce alcohol and hot drinks as both can trigger hot flushes.

I hope I have helped you, please message again if you have any further questions.

Take care

Diane Porterfield Bourne.

• LilLil Posts: 6

Liana + Diane

I will go to the doctors when the virus is over and I ll mention beta blockers but now I know Im not alonexx