Home Menopause Forum Menopause at Work

Feeling invisible

wattoo1971wattoo1971 Posts: 21 ✭✭
edited June 26 in Menopause at Work

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't posted in a long time I thought things were going well but as normal life comes up bites you on the bum. Since starting my menopause adventure if you can call it that, I seem to be disappearing certainly in the eyes of my employer, my husband, the world. I think I'm just seeing as that and menopausal woman who used to do a good job and I'm now being superseded by younger more alert people. That's quite hard to deal with and it now makes me feel as though I am surplus to requirements.

Never underestimate how difficult this is for any woman to adjust to. Particularly when you've been used to being seen as in control on your game and the person to go to for all the answers. It's now difficult to watch other people being treated as the font of all knowledge the person with the answers the person who can sort all the problems and I'm just overlooked. Sorry for the rant just feeling very low unsure of myself lacking in confidence And self-esteem and not knowing what to do now because I feel past my prime. I know nobody has all the answers but I really like to hear from other people who are going through this thanks .

Comments

• MonicaMMonicaM Posts: 150 mod

@wattoo1971

I understand fully how you feel. I feel the same way at my job and it is really messing up my self esteem and confidence. I am starting to feel old between the forgetfulness and not feeling needed. The other day I felt like crying. I keep making little mistakes at my new job and I feel like I can’t focus and I just feel like I am not as good as I used to be.

I am only 52 but where I work I am pretty much the oldest on the management team and I feel like I don’t fit in.

Wattoo, I understand perfectly what you are going through.

I am trying to focus more, take my time when I can doing my work, keep telling myself that I can do this sometimes this work and sometimes it doesn’t.

I feel invisible at times too

• wattoo1971wattoo1971 Posts: 21 ✭✭

Oh Monica it’s awful, not sure if it’s just because of how we feel at the moment, but it is very real isn’t it love xxx

@wattoo1971 yes it is awful

@wattoo1971

I wanted to check in with you to see how you are feeling now.

• wattoo1971wattoo1971 Posts: 21 ✭✭

It’s even worse now I am working from home. I have been told I am not needed to attend meetings via zoom which just amplifies my feelings of insecurity. I am starting to feel thick. I can’t concentrate working from home. I was supposed to apply for a degree course and I haven’t. I felt that I wouldn’t be able to do it so I haven’t bothered. I haven’t realised how low I have become x

edited May 26

@wattoo1971

I apologize I am now just seeing your response. I am sure it is challenging feeling like you aren't needed at work on the zoom meetings but you know what maybe take that negative and turn it around to a positive. Do something that will enhance your skills and abilities and maybe take your experience and skills to another company where they may appreciate you more. You can do the course, I think you will do fine. It maybe a little scary at first but try something new and try to take your mind off of it.

Keep saying to yourself you got this and you can do it Wattoo1971. We can't let these young people bring us down we have wisdom and talent that they have never even seen or done before.

I am saying all of this to you because I am teaching myself to talk positively over my life and realize I didn't come this far to overcome my insecurity. Lets try to tame our insecurity and put our energies into something that will make us feel better. Not being on those meetings gives you time to focus on you.

I hope I wasn't being to harsh because I wasn't trying to be just trying to help and learn to do the same advice that I am giving to you.

Have a good night.

Maybe one of our experts can you help you too @Steven

• StevenSteven Posts: 15 Menopause Anxiety & Stress Expert

Hi @wattoo1971

I know of so many women who feel just like you, so you're certainly not alone in this. Feel free to take a look at my page, which Monica has put a link to above, and you will find a number of useful strategies for helping to change your mindset and think in a different way. Often, when these things happen in the workplace, it is life's way of providing an opportunity to open another door.

I hope you find some useful ideas on my page to help you.

Best wishes,

Steven

Check Out Menomagic to find out more about tackling hot flushes
    Follow Menomagic & Sole Therapies on Facebook
    Instagram Menomagic