Home Welcome to our Dementia Q&A Hub Practical dementia support

what to do now

my mum is 92yrs old last friday she was diag/with mild to sever dementia

Tagged:

Comments

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 347 Community Admin

Hi Agnes, a very warm welcome to our Dementia Q&A Hub!

I'm so sorry to hear about your mum's diagnosis. We have a lovely Dementia Advisor @Danine Irwin on board with us, who'll be able to advise you. Danine has extensive experience working with those with dementia; she facilitates wellbeing and reminiscence workshops in a number of care homes. I tagged her in this discussion, so she'll be able to see this and get back to you as soon as possible. :)

In the meantime, I wanted to share a couple of resources we have on our site, which you might find useful.

You can have a look at all of our resources here: https://dementia.livebetterwith.com/pages/advice-information, including articles on specific symptoms, practical dementia support (finances, legal matters, etc) and stories of those who've been through it.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any more questions. :)

Take care,

Blanka

• Danine IrwinDanine Irwin Posts: 3 Dementia Advisor
    edited October 13

Hi @agnes mclelland

I am sorry to read that your mum has recently been diagnosed with dementia. Not only will this be a worrying time for her, but for you and your family too.

I can understand that you and your mum may be feeling overwhelmed, overcome with emotion and naturally concerned or fearful. These feelings are all normal; what is important for you both, is to know that your mum can continue to live well with dementia.

Talking to someone and connecting with others who have experienced similar really helps, for instance support groups, online forums or your GP or dementia support nurse.

The journey that you both face can bring challenges to you both but with adjustments and adapting you can both continue to enjoy life well.

I am happy to answer any further questions that you may have.

All the best

Danine