Hello and welcome!

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff ✭✭✭✭ Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Melinda

A very warm welcome to you here on the forum. 
    The treatment you are undergoing sounds very hard. You are very brave. I haven't heard of that cancer or your treatment. Someone else on here may have though. Everyone here is friendly, and supportive. I hope you find it this way too. Even in the midst of treatment I hope you are able to enjoy the Christmas season. 

Lou x

• RobertARobertA ✭✭✭✭ Posts: 603 ✭✭✭✭
    Good afternoon @Melinda  Your treatment sounds really tough and I feel for you.  
    I hope that you and your family (including the dogs) are able to enjoy your Christmas and forget about the cancer for a while. 

I wonder if if you have a mobile home, or do you camp under canvas? Not at this time of year I bet. 

Lou is so right. This is a very friendly and supportive group and we are all here for one another. 

Rob x
  • MelindaMelinda Posts: 3
    Thanks for the welcome! We are planning on enjoying Christmas! My next chemo is on the 26th, so, will feel good on Christmas day. Our son and family will be here part of the day, and my mom lives with us since she lost her husband in July. We will probably FaceTime our daughter and family in Oregon. Of course, '''the girl's" will have new toys and bones to open. 

We were camping, actually "glamping", every three weeks in the fall. My husband took an extra day every third weekend, on my good weeks. We stayed close, but, always had a good time. 

Hope all has a wonderful day and a Merry Christmas! 
    Sounds great. Enjoy and Merry Christmas to you all. 

Rob X 
    @Melinda ;

That sounds like a great idea, it get away during treatment. Enjoy your time with the family, Merry Christmas to you too. 

Lou x
  • LesleyLesley ✭✭✭ Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    Hi Lesley here, have been reading all your responses to one another on here you are all amazing and so positive! It really is giving me strength! Ist Chemo tomorrow! Bring on the big guns!👍xx
    Hi @Lesley and lovely to hear from you. 

Yes, we all derive strength and reassurance from our togetherness in fighting this awful disease. 

Good luck with the chemo and keep in touch. 

Rob x 
  • LesleyLesley ✭✭✭ Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Rob! Will let you know how it goes 🙂x
  • LouiseJLouiseJ mod Posts: 330 mod
    edited December 2018
    Hi @Lesley

I was thinking about you earlier with you starting chemo this week.
    I hope everything goes smoothly for you, take a few things with you to help pass the time and keep you warm. Chemo wards can feel quite cool sometimes. Echoing what Rob has said really, and let us know how you are doing.

Lou x
    Hi @sasha_ruby1219

Hi Sasha, 
    Just wondering how you are this week. Week 3, so hopefully you should start to be on the up this week, ready for round two next week? I remember finding 'week 2's' especially difficult. The pain in my bones was very intense, not sure if you have had this too? It was a toss-up between taking all the big gun pain relief I could, then feeling spaced out, pain lessened, but horrendous constipation! Hahahaha! I don't know which was worse!
    I do hope that maybe you have managed to escape this side-effect.

Thinking of you 

Lou x
  • BevBev Posts: 8
    Hi I am a newbie to this site..after being diagnosed with bladder cancer, am awaiting to have a Radical Cystectomy.. would very much like to hear from anyone here, that has had this done. 
  • sasha112ruby1219sasha112ruby1219 Posts: 1
    HI I have had to rejoin as the site was not letting me log on....I am Sasha again but with new username format. thanks to people who were messaging me! I have the second chemo on Wednesday and not looking forward to it. I did get better over Christmas itself and was allowed to have an extra week so felt good.....not doing much for New Year.....but nice to be able to enjoy it!  
    @sasha112ruby1219

Hi Sasha,

Great to hear from you.
    Glad you got a break over Christmas, I will be thinking of you on Weds when you go in for round two. Just one day at a time again, take all the meds they offer you. Take care.

Lou xx
  • Butterfly88Butterfly88 Posts: 4
    Hi am here on behalf of my mum am just searching for answers or just anything no matter how small of a way I could maybe help her I feel helpless and am banging my head against the wall with doctor I just need some sort of answer for her. To cut a long horrible story short my mum is only 55 was fit and healthy but found a lump in her left breast in Dec 2017 she started chemotherpy in March 2018 had reconstructed surgery in Aug 2018 to both breasts and the right breast was tested for cancer and results was clear. She completed her radio theorpy in Oct 2018 n was feeling okay other then her right breast being swalloen and hard and angry red she visited GPS n docs to get told it's the healing process. Anyway 9 weeks post surgery they done a biopsy and found out the cancer was back in the right breast this time tho and she had to start the process all over again. So she started her chemotherpy on my son's 7th birthday 3 weeks ago and ever since then she has been having bad headaches and was suffering constipation. She's recently gone down hill very quickly and I had to take her hospital 5 days ago as she colapesed and had a small seziure. She's now at hospital and it feels like her condition is getting worse she's got no energy at all and practacly bed bound pain is ranging from her head back to her right breast and she's hardly eating or drinking and started seeing things and people and stuff that are not there I have been demanding an MRI since she first got admitted but only getting told it's weekend and new year so no 1 there to do them the nurses have just been dosing her up on morphine and if it hasn't been for me and my sister she wudnt of even had a wash. They can't get no bloods from her as they can only use 1 arm due to removal of lymth nodes and she has poor access am just really worried and scared and am getting no answers of anyone at the hospital except wait till tomoz but am so so scared and so is my mum any help or other people with a sort of same experience to give advice would help Thank you. 
  • PikevillePikeville Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm new to this site. Diagnosed with lung cancer 18 months ago.I've had chemotherapy treatment. I'm widowed iI haven't talked about it in depth. I blocked it out. Still do to a certain degree I will be following the forums help me feel less alone. Thank you. 
    Hello @Pikeville,

A very warm welcome to you, I hope you find the group helpful and supportive for you. There are a few others who also have lung cancer, mine was breast cancer diagnosed 3 yrs ago. Everyone on here is very friendly.
    Do you have family who support you too? It must be very hard to go through alone. I hope that you are getting over the chemo, are you having more treatment? 
    We all get through this in different ways, there is no right or wrong way, but I do hope that as you get to know us, you'll feel more able to talk about things when you feel like it.

Lou x
  • PikevillePikeville Posts: 2
    I'm getting over chemo. Just concerned that they have found some spots on middle section of the right lobe. Lower lobe has been removed. PET scan showed no hot spots. I'm waiting to go for another CT scan if it shows any changes.Consultant will have to reconsider. Op will be high risk so I'm hoping everything will be ok They think it may be scarring from Chemo.  I'm also waiting to go for an op to remove mucus sack and appendix via key hole surgery. They found it on my last scan I was told by Consultant it's not connected to lung cancer. I go in to hospital on 31st January. So a lot of anxiety I'm really low eating very little but trying to stay positive. Thank you for your message. I'm sure this forum will help I've not talked about this to my son he knows I have cancer he took me to every appointment. Stayed in hotel for 2 nights while I had op. I'm widowed so live alone. 
  • hessomhessom Community Admin Posts: 112 Community Admin
    Hi am here on behalf of my mum am just searching for answers or just anything no matter how small of a way I could maybe help her I feel helpless and am banging my head against the wall with doctor I just need some sort of answer for her. To cut a long horrible story short my mum is only 55 was fit and healthy but found a lump in her left breast in Dec 2017 she started chemotherpy in March 2018 had reconstructed surgery in Aug 2018 to both breasts and the right breast was tested for cancer and results was clear. She completed her radio theorpy in Oct 2018 n was feeling okay other then her right breast being swalloen and hard and angry red she visited GPS n docs to get told it's the healing process. Anyway 9 weeks post surgery they done a biopsy and found out the cancer was back in the right breast this time tho and she had to start the process all over again. So she started her chemotherpy on my son's 7th birthday 3 weeks ago and ever since then she has been having bad headaches and was suffering constipation. She's recently gone down hill very quickly and I had to take her hospital 5 days ago as she colapesed and had a small seziure. She's now at hospital and it feels like her condition is getting worse she's got no energy at all and practacly bed bound pain is ranging from her head back to her right breast and she's hardly eating or drinking and started seeing things and people and stuff that are not there I have been demanding an MRI since she first got admitted but only getting told it's weekend and new year so no 1 there to do them the nurses have just been dosing her up on morphine and if it hasn't been for me and my sister she wudnt of even had a wash. They can't get no bloods from her as they can only use 1 arm due to removal of lymth nodes and she has poor access am just really worried and scared and am getting no answers of anyone at the hospital except wait till tomoz but am so so scared and so is my mum any help or other people with a sort of same experience to give advice would help Thank you. 
    Hi @Butterfly88 I wanted to reach out and ask how things are going and if you've been able to get better support and care for your mother in the last week? This sounds like an awful experience and must be very traumatic for you and your mother and it sounds like it's compounded by services not being fully available during the Christmas period. I can only imagine your frustration at your mother having to have gone through this once only to have to go through it again so soon after, despite the re-assurances from doctors. I hope you are both ok and that things are improving.; I know it may be of little consolation right now, but I also wanted to say welcome to the Community, I hope you can find some help and support here.
  • Butterfly88Butterfly88 Posts: 4
    Thankyou hessom for your welcome we have managed to get the correct care my mum needs now and is being transferred to a hospice today even though the outlook is not great for any of us am happy now she will have the correct care for her until as long as we have her now her condition has just dramatically changed in Oct 2018 mum was looking forward to Jan to get her life back and now all this has happened and her life is being slowly taken it's so curel and painfull to watch her go through but know I have 2 be strong for her myself my partner and my kids thankyou for your kind words. 
  • VronVron Posts: 15
    Hello, I'm new to this site and posted a hello message in the wrong way. I have been reading a few of the discussions and contributed to a couple, it looks very helpful and supportive. I have stage four Ovarian Cancer and it's been a difficult journey since I was diagnosed last April, but I'm still here and trying to hang on a bit longer. 
    Hi @Vron

Ooh no, there's no wrong way to say hello! :) :)

A very warm welcome to you, it's great you have been able to chat with others already.
    Have a look through the other threads anyway, even if the 'title/heading' may not be applicable to you, as you will find people share many things we all have in common, irrespective of the type of cancer. It is a friendly place, with a growing number of people joining in, which is great. 
    I am sorry it has been a tough time for you since April, I hope we will be able to be of support to you, you can chat about anything you want. Sometimes chatting to others who are not directly connected to you is easier, as you can say things without worrying about how it will be received.
    When cancer enters our lives it crashes in like a tidal wave, suddenly everything is turned upside down, inside out. Our struggle to stay afloat, ability to breathe, in the midst of feeling like we are under water is tough, and at times very dark. I think a group like this can become like a life bouy, where you can hold on here, others will help you to keep fighting.
    Hang in there, come and chat anytime.

Speak soon.

Lou x

Thank you Lou  for your words of wisdom and the welcome, I know I'll find this group helpful and maybe I'll be able to help others too. 
    Hi @vron and welcome to the group.

Not much I can add to Lou's comments.  This is a friendly community and we are all here to support, encourage and chat to one another.  Even though we may have different cancers, we often face similar social and emotional challenges and I am also pleased to welcome you.

Rob X 
    Thanks Rob, I hope I can add something to the group as well as learning from others x
    @Vron

I am sure you will be a great encouragement! We can all help each other.

Lou x
  • LEGO2019LEGO2019 ✭✭ Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Hi - This is my first time to post, having only discovered this site a week ago. But already it has made a huge difference to my journey with cancer and I know that the rest of the journey will be better now that I have somewhere where there are people on the same journey and who will totally understand all the things that can trouble us while living with cancer.  For me, this is my second journey, I had breast cancer 13 years ago, had a mastectomy followed by 6 months chemo therapy, and made a full recovery. So it was a shock to find out that I now have bowel cancer - totally unrelated to the breast cancer.  I had surgery which was successful, however, as the cancer had spread to some lymph nodes, I have to have 10 chemo treatments, and had the first last week. My main worry this time is whether my body will be able to tolerate the treatment as it is very harsh. I got an infection after surgery and had to have a course of antibiotics and so my immune system has affected even before the chemo began. I have researched everything to do with gut health and the immune system and most agree that probiotics are essential to restore gut health but there is a huge variety of products which are suggested to boost your immune system and now I am really confused. It’s particularly difficult when you can’t measure any improvement after trying something, so I was wondering if anyone has found a reliable way to build up your immune system while it is being damaged during treatment. Would love to hear any tips and am happy to try them out if there is no risk. Looking forward to hearing other people’s experiences, as I find this very helpful -it is something that wasn’t available to me last time.
    Hi @LEGO2019

A very warm welcome to the group. I am so glad that you have already found it helpful and beneficial for you. I am so sorry that you have got to endure cancer for a second time, that must have been a huge shock, all over again. 
    Your phrase 'people on the same journey and who will totally understand all the things that can trouble us while living with cancer' is exactly what the community is about. 
    It is good that your surgery was successful, and I hope you were able to recover from the infection before commencing chemo. How are you feeling after your first chemo session? 
    Got to be honest while I was going through chemo, I mainly went with the flow of how i was feeling especially with regard to my diet and nutrition. I know there are many 'helpful advice articles etc' out there, but until you are in the middle of it, it is hard to judge how things will go. The main thing is if you do want to try anything like supplements etc, check with your oncologist first, in case they interfere with the effectiveness of the chemo drugs.

Let your chemo nurses know of how you are doing, of any side-effects you are experiencing, even headaches, high temperature etc. I was very fortunate in that I was not sick once, which was my biggest fear. However I did take every anti-sickness tablet I could get my hands on to make sure that didn't happen! It worked! But I did have other side-effects. 

Please keep in touch, I would love to hear how you are getting on. Of course, I am here to chat anytime you'd like to.
    I hope you are having a restful, peaceful weekend.

Lou x

• LEGO2019LEGO2019 ✭✭ Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Hi Lou - it’s Val (I forgot that my posts would be under my username) - but thank you so much for such a warm response - it’s as good as getting a hug!
    The infection was almost clear when I started chemo, but I was still a bit washed out from fighting it and the side effects of antibiotics. I was on steroids for 3 days - I had chemo in the hospital and then a pump for a further 2 days at home, so the first 3 days were fine (because of the steroids). Day 4 was horrendous without the steroids, but it was the worst day and so there were little improvements each day after that and now 7 days from the treatment I am fairly ok, getting good walks every day and less tired. The only thing that has worsened is my mouth and gums are more sore now than at the start, even though I was well prepared from previous experience and had good quality mouth wash and toothpaste and rinsed frequently each day. The treatment is different this time and so I think I need to stop comparing and trying to anticipate. It is a different cancer and so I need to forget what happened last time and just go with the flow and follow my instincts. And the best part is this time I can learn so much more from all the people who share their stories here - that is something I didn’t have last time and I know it will make a big difference, plus it’s all current!  Your response helped me to realise this, so thank you once again. Love & hugs x
    Val
  • jacksjacks Posts: 4
    Hey thanks for welcome! yea I was diagnosed in September having found a cyst in breast. I was told it was just a cyst by ultrasound guy.....but when he drained it, it filled back up again and he discovered the tumour behind it. Both were removed on 23rd Sept  along with sentinel node biopsy. I was given the all clear but they have recommended the belt and braces approach....so chemo starts the week after next! I     am allowed to go on a pre-booked holiday first and might not come back!!    So far recovery from surgery has been ok apart from pins and needles tingliness which drove me mad!! I can tell the nurse thinks this is a minor issue compared with whats to come!! At least,  I think that in the way she responds to my grumbling! The wig lady has given me an appointment.....but its not hair loss that concerns me as much as pumping nasty chemicals in! I used to have depression and successfully weaned myself off any medications so am none to happy to introduce a cocktail like!!  Family and friends have been fantastic but I am putting on weight with kind gestures, cream buns, chocolate, and I am not saying no because I am not nauseous at the moment!! Reactions form some people have been interesting......my sis in law keeps sending me texts with a million emojis at the end of every message! So for now amy tips re; chemo.....should I take any specific supplement vitamins etc.....I have heard that auricular acupressure on the ear may help with sickness.  Happy to poke my ear rather then more drugs to counteract the drugs.....Anyway, I am both happy and unhappy to be here!  Lots of you have valiantly got through...so i welcome any advice!     Sasha

edited January 20
    LEGO2019 said:
    Hi Lou - it’s Val (I forgot that my posts would be under my username) - but thank you so much for such a warm response - it’s as good as getting a hug!
    The infection was almost clear when I started chemo, but I was still a bit washed out from fighting it and the side effects of antibiotics. I was on steroids for 3 days - I had chemo in the hospital and then a pump for a further 2 days at home, so the first 3 days were fine (because of the steroids). Day 4 was horrendous without the steroids, but it was the worst day and so there were little improvements each day after that and now 7 days from the treatment I am fairly ok, getting good walks every day and less tired. The only thing that has worsened is my mouth and gums are more sore now than at the start, even though I was well prepared from previous experience and had good quality mouth wash and toothpaste and rinsed frequently each day. The treatment is different this time and so I think I need to stop comparing and trying to anticipate. It is a different cancer and so I need to forget what happened last time and just go with the flow and follow my instincts. And the best part is this time I can learn so much more from all the people who share their stories here - that is something I didn’t have last time and I know it will make a big difference, plus it’s all current!  Your response helped me to realise this, so thank you once again. Love & hugs x
    Val
    Hi Val, 

I always think it is amazing all the different types of chemo drugs that have been developed to try and target different cancers. I know I am thankful to all those who devote their careers and time to researching new and more effective ways to beat this disease. 
    When is round two of chemo? It is great you have come through the first through days, even though horrendous I know. I admire you for being able to get out and go for walks, the more you can keep doing that can only be good for.

Did you get mouthwash from the chemist or your dr? I was given Difflam by my oncologist which did help.

I agree with what you say about not comparing things to your last experience, except to remember you got through it last time. Medicine and treatments have changed a lot in recent years, and so I hope for you that it will prove to be really successful.
    Envisioning yourself through the other side may help you to get through, especially in the dark days of which there may be a few. I know I have said this before on here, but I imagined the chemo to be like a heat-seeking missile going through my body seeking that which it needed to destroy. I cheered it on its way. Seriously. 

I am a fighter, I was so angry that cancer even had the nerve to show up, I was determined to not give it any more attention than I needed to, to get rid of it. I lost my sister, mum and dad to cancer, I thought it could go and do one, if it thought it was going to get rid of me. No chance. I was convinced it was not my time, there was more of my life still to live.
    Sorry! Rambling!! I hate cancer, I hate the way it destroys lives, cuts peoples lives short, and is the cause of so much fear. 

There are a few on here going through bowel cancer like yourself, all lovely warriors, @Lesley@Shell @achybreaky71, @Heidi1980 , @Jo49 , @Karen46.  There are probably more as well. Check out the 'Bowel cancer' thread, if you haven't had a chance to yet.
    I know anyone who has been through cancer will be able to identify with you, and what you are going through, but also knowing there are others who may be on the same regime as you with the same type of cancer, maybe really helpful. 

Sending you a gentle hug, warm wishes.

Lou x