Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Coping With Treatments & Side Effects

Thickening shampoos/conditioners and eye lash serums

Hi, I’m just coming to the end of chemo, one more to go. I’ve been using a cold cap to reduce hair loss and as advised by the oncology nurse, throughout I’ve been using a gentle shampoo and conditioner, ie without chemicals or perfume (Simple). However, I’ve been told I can go back to using my preferred shampoo/conditioner 2/3 weeks after my last chemo and I am just wondering if anyone has found any of the many thickening shampoos/conditioners on the market any good or are they just a marketing ploy?!

Also, anyone found eye lash serums any good (bit late asking this because I’ve already ordered one! 😁)?

Thanks

Comments

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 406 Community Admin

Hi @MrsT,

I don't have experience using these types of shampoos / serums myself, but I wanted to share a couple of resources with you - they're full of suggestions & product recommendations from our community!

This one in particular mentions a 'regrowth' shampoo & conditioner pack that's popular with our members:

This is a much longer guide about taking care of your hair during and after treatment:

Finally, this is a piece specifically around eyebrows & eye lashes:

I'm sure others have will useful suggestions for you, but in the meantime I hope this information helps a little. ❤️

Best wishes,

Blanka

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrsT

Hi, I didn't use a cold cap during chemo, so obviously lost all my hair.

It is brilliant if you have found using the cold cap really effective in retaining your hair. I know it isn't a pleasant thing to go through each time. Well done for enduring it!!

Throughout my chemo I continued to use shampoo and conditioner on my scalp as my hairdresser advised it would help when regrowth started. I didn't use any specific products to help with that, just my usual ones.

The only thing he said was to not colour it for at least 6 months post chemo. I haven't done so, I was thinking of it in case my hair grew back grey, but it didn't.

I hope the chemo continues to go well for you. You are almost at the end!

Take care,

Lou xx

• MrsTMrsT Posts: 11

@Sunshinedaff

Thank you, as you say, it’s not pleasant but after the first 10 minutes (which is horrendous, I just try to “zone out”), I find it bearable though I know many people give up.

Yes, I know about not colouring it for 6 months so I’m going to have to embrace going grey but who knows, I might decide I like it and could save myself a small fortune as I usually have at least my roots done every 3 weeks! 😁

Thanks for responding, take care.

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 406 Community Admin

Hi @MrsT,

Further to my response above, I just wanted to add that I asked around the community for tips & recommendations yesterday (you can have a look at the responses yourself on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/livebetterwith/ if you like!)

These were the suggestions I received:

Wishing you continued strength & courage,

Blanka x

Thanks @Blanka_C , that’s really helpful, I’ll take a look.

Wow @SueEvaM, that’s fantastic regrowth! Thanks for the recommendation though I’m not going to ask which hair the “tail” is intended for! 😉😂

Before I asked the question, I’d actually already ordered a lash serum which has arrived this morning - it’s Lush Lash from Wild Mint Cosmetics, usually £35 but I got it on offer at £28.

Thanks again, take care x

• SueEvaMSueEvaM Posts: 32 ✭✭

Glad to hear you are being positive during this difficult time. Keep posting on this site and let us all know how you are getting on. There are many supportive people living with cancer here, who are encouraging and helpful,

Sue

• GJ124GJ124 Posts: 2
    edited July 2020

I used the cold cap after the first treatment when some did fall out I’ve been using alpocein that’s regularly advertised on the tv. I had my hair trimmed this week into a proper style. It’s short but quite thick

Thanks @GJ124, I was wondering about that one or Plantur 39 which is also advertised quite a lot.

• ollyolly Posts: 2

Hi Mrs T

In reply to your question on hair thickeners. After my chemo I used a product which I found on Amazon. It's called Brewer's Yeast Hair Mask, recipe grandmother and is sold by Eco Natural Products. It's all natural products and is reasonably priced. Around £6:99 I think. It definitely worked for me and my hair grew back quite quickly. It's now a thick curly mop which is strange as it was straight before!! As for eyelash serums I didn't personally try any but was told that Boots have a good one which encourages growth.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck.

Thanks @olly, I’ll take a look at that.

Pleased to hear your hair grew back quickly.

Thanks again.

• ollyolly Posts: 2