Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Cancer Coffee Break

The Live Better With Creative Club - share your art, poem, etc here!

Comments

• Chilali1531Chilali1531 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

Good Morning from a greyish Toulouse ! We had a terrific thunder storm last night !

Lovely colours in that Durham photo Rob. So many beautiful cathedrals. Maybe you've visited the one in Albi ( near Toulouse) which is a huge red brick construction- v imposing- with a beautiful deep blue ceiling painted with the local " pastel" (woad). Wasn't it awful last year watching Notre Dame de Paris burning down ? They've just started rebuilding again.

Northumberland is one of my favourite places Michele. I've spent many a family holiday there, playing cricket on their glorious golden beaches to keep warm! The puffins are lovely aren't they? Might be good to paint ! There's an amazing second hand bookshop/tea room in Alnwick but can't remember the name. I could spend hours in there ...

Michele, your tulips painting is SO good. I really like it. I'll give you £40 for it no problem !!

I discovered an artist I really like on Internet the other day Edward B Gordon. Maybe you know him.

So as I've mentioned, I'm currently in hospital for about 2 weeks undergoing the final " intensification" part of my treatment. As it's a sterile environment I can't bring in my paints so Ive decided to do some embroidery. I've found a picture I like so I'm going to try drawing it onto a piece of linen & then embroider it. I don't think it'll be too easy to draw so there'll be a lot of artistic licence! I'll keep you posted. I might not have the energy - we'll see.

Here's a picture of some ladybirds I did last week for the Xmas fair. V simple & fun to do.

And here's the picture I intend to embroider ..

Keep smiling 😊 Ali X

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good evening everyone,

I hope you are having a restful peaceful weekend, Ali, I know you are stuck in hospital, not your preferred option, I hope the chemo is going ok.

I am very impressed Ali, if you are going to do this pattern in embroidery!! It is very complicated! wow!

I love the ladybirds, when you said you were doing them for Christmas, I assumed they would have Christmas designs on! silly me!

Those are great photos Rob, amazing one of the inside of the cathedral. We visited a large cathedral in Bourges a couple of years ago, on one of our holidays. It was fascinating.

Sending you all lots of love and hugs,

Chat soon,

Lou xx

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NanaBubbles @Chilali1531 @Sunshinedaff

Good evening from a weary Rob after a day of sorting and packing. Ah well, chilli and rice accompanied by Shiraz, followed by fruit crumble with ice cream should steel me for tomorrow whilst doing nothing for my waistline.

I love Lindisfarne and all around Northumberland Michele. I used to belong to a touring cricket team and we played on the cricket pitch at Bamburgh castle. What could be better than that?

Yes Ali, I have visited the cathedral at Albi, I was fascinated to see that it is built of brick and quite different to any other I have seen. I thought it a bit austere from the outside but it is truly beautiful inside. The organ is absolutely gorgeous and I was disappointed that we did not hear it being played. I love the ladybirds. They look great and they made me smile.

I hope you are feeling well and enjoying your weekend Lou. The weather is a bit mixed here but we managed to find a little break in the Sun and sat out for a while in between the packing.

Rob xxx

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RobertA

Hi Rob

I am very glad to hear you are settling down now for the evening. Your dinner sounds delicious btw, I am just doing ours now.

Been painting and in the garden this afternoon. Finally moved the first two pots of sunflowers into their final position. Found a good spot where they will get the sun all day.

I have almost finished the dolphins, which is exciting!

Bless you with all the packing, are you getting anyone in to help? Wish I could come over to help you.

Sending you and Mary huge hugs, strength and positive thoughts.

Lou xx

• NanaBubblesNanaBubbles Posts: 166 ✭✭✭

@Sunshinedaff @Chilali1531 @RobertA

Good Monday morning!

Ali, I love your ladybirds! Glad you like my tulips - I was quite pleased with them as still not sure about how to use the oil paint! I am sorry that you have to be in hospital and hope that your treatment goes well. I love the embroidery design - there is a lot of work there and will definitely keep you busy. I find projects like that quite addictive! I don’t know the artist you mentioned but will look him up.

We stayed in Alnwick and went to the book shop you mention in the old station. There was a piece about it in Country Living a few months ago so it is quite famous. We also visited the castle with its gorgeous garden and had dinner in the tree house restaurant one evening. A thoroughly enjoyable trip, particularly as we had not visited that part of the country before.

Rob, I hope that you are doing ok with your packing and not getting too exhausted! I am sure that you must be pleased to be ‘getting on with it’ after all the delay, although I feel certain it must be a big wrench leaving such a beautiful place as Jersey. Hopefully no more hiccups for you! Your photos are lovely, particularly the ones of Durham Cathedral. Is photography a hobby of yours? We bought Geoff a Canon digital SLR when he retired and he has taken some pretty good ones too although he finds his smaller Lumix easier to put in a pocket! He has been going on some quite long walks on village footpaths while we have been in lockdown and is chasing a photo of an elusive hare in one of the fields!

Lou, you are getting the bug for painting I think!! Well done with the dolphins which I bet will look super when finished. If you do decide to take it further and not sure about anything you have Ali and me to ask 🤔.

Have a good day everyone.

Michele x

@NanaBubbles @Chilali1531 @Sunshinedaff

Good afternoon

Ahh Michele, we are managing OK, thank you for asking. We did originally plan to return to the UK but the virus rather got in the way. The Island is effectively closed to visitors and we cannot leave either unless we have written permission for medical reasons. The ferries are not running and there are only three flights a week and they run between Jersey and Southampton. In the end we decided to proceed with the sale and to buy a new build apartment here in Jersey. It is a new development designed for over 55s and it is no maintenance and in a very convenient location. We are looking forward to a nice relaxing time over the coming months. Local hotels are now allowed to open and as we have no visitors, they are making tempting Staycation offers for locals. Watch this space.

Mary is the photographer and she is a natural. Like Geoff she also has a Canon digital SLR and she took all the photographs for her sister’s wedding, saving at least £1,500 on the quote from a professional photographer. We used our own computer and printer to produce the photographs too and I doubt that the professional would have done any better.

Oh Lou, I wish you could come over too, but it sounds as if you are busy enough as it is. I hope that you will be able to visit once things get back to normal. I can’t wait to see the finished dolphins project by the way.

Hi Ali, I do hope you are coping OK in the hospital. I have just remembered that when we were in Albi, we visited the Toulouse Lautrec Museum. It was really well presented and his life story was described and embellished through many of his paintings. The lady selling the tickets noticing my dreadful French accent was keen to know where Mary and I were from. She was astounded to hear that Jersey is a British Island even though it is so close to France and insisted on an explanation which tested my French speaking abilities to destruction.

Love to you all.

Rob xx

Good afternoon friends,

Well it is a scorcher here, I was gardening, but it became too hot, so I have come inside for a bit. To be honest I didn't realise the time. The sun is still quite high.

Michele, I will most definitely be calling on yours and Ali's expertise, when I get brave and decide to paint and original! 😄

I was also thinking of getting my camera out, I haven't used it for a long time. I too have a Canon DSLR, I bought extra lenses a few years ago so I could do more, but haven't got round to it. Years ago when we lived in Bournemouth on the cliff top, I would go in a walk, take my camera with me and shoot anything.

I remember even longer ago, when I had my old Olympus SLR, I took a friend with me at sundown to capture a particular series of shots. It was January, freezing, and she was just hanging about waiting with me! Lol! As soon as the sun went down we were off! Haha! I was really pleased with them though.

My love of photography started properly when I was about 18, I started to go to the beach and get sunset photos, we lived in Worthing then. Then I moved to Dorset, and lived right opposite the beach again, so I was able to continue. Back then I just had a Kodak Instamatic!

I have tried to pass my love of photography on to the girls. They do have cameras, but of course nowadays they use their phones. But they do get good shots, and enjoy doing it. It isn't all selfies! 😂

Hahaha, Rob your French attempts sound like ours! Considering all the years we have been to France we should be better at it by now. I do try. Get it wrong mostly still. My ability to remember it is not as good. It just won't stay in my brain!

I hope you are all have a good day, hope the packing is going well Rob.

Chat soon,

Lou xx

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou

Here I am surrounded by boxes and taking five. Ah well, just seven rooms to go.

Rob xx

@Sunshinedaff @Chilali1531 @RobertA

Good evening and hope all is well with you after this very rainy day!

Rob, Mary’s photos are amazing! We have been trying to get a photo of a woodpecker who comes to the nut feeder in the garden but he is very alert and flies off as soon as we move! The outside ‘trail’ camera in the garden is doing better as we had more photos of hedgehogs last night and this time with two babies - very cute! They are doing an excellent job at keeping down the slugs and snails for us.

Hope the packing is going well and that you will be very happy in your new home. Friends have moved in to similar and wished they had done it sooner.

Ali, hope all is going well for you in hospital. How is the embroidery doing? I have been thinking of you today as I had to go to outpatients for a check up. Everything is very organised for the Corona virus and there were very few people in the waiting room with temperature checks and questions to be answered before they would let us in. Everything was socially distanced to 2 metres, everyone had to wear masks and I really felt that it was all as ‘safe’ as it could be. However, I did not see a doctor who knew anything about me which wasn’t as satisfactory as it might have been but she organised blood tests there and then and is going to get a PeT scan scheduled for July if at all possible.

Lou, your photographs of sunsets sound amazing - I have had one or two goes at painting them but not really been happy with the outcome. I think that a sunset over the sea is just the most beautiful thing - expect you see those too Rob. When I was 13 I went with my parents on holiday to the Isle of Bute off the west coast of Scotland and the thing I remember most about it were the fabulous sunsets from the beaches there - just spectacular. Geoff and I are hoping to take a trip to Scotland when everything settles down again and I do hope that we are able to see some good sunsets again.

I think I might have mentioned that I have been painting and sketching some illustrations to go with stories which my daughter-in-law’s Mum has been writing For our mutual granddaughter, Alice. The stories are based on Alice’s adventures of being able to talk to creatures while she and the cat, Tiger, are sitting under the apple tree in the garden where a fairy lives who makes this possible. My older granddaughter

I thought you might like to see them so attaching below.

Love to you all

Michele

@NanaBubbles @Sunshinedaff @Chilali1531

Oh Michele, you have a real talent. Your painting and sketches are just lovely and even more special for being based on Alice’s adventures. My favourite is the sketch of the cat poised and alert balancing on a post. He’s clearly seen something that has attracted his attention. Unfortunately, Mary and I have no talent for drawing or painting so we have to make do with the photographs.

Yes, we do have some lovely sunsets and people often take their cameras and tripods to Corbière lighthouse and also to the Five Mile Beach at St Ouens Bay and wait for the best moment. Ironically, both of the attached photos were taken with a fairly basic Sony smartphone - we were just lucky to be in the right place at the right time and we were surprised at how well the photos turned out. Both of them were taken from a restaurant’s outside area.

Oh Lou, I would love to see your sunset photographs. I think you must be very patient as your photographs of Charlie in action are really special. I well remember the Kodak Instamatic. It was so important to get everything just right as you didn’t want to waste a shot. It is so much easier now in the digital age where you can take multiple shots and then enhance the best one where necessary.

Rob xx

Morning Folks !

Ive been awake for a while & wondering what to have for my breakfast ie what will slip down best. Probably soggy cornflakes! My mouth is slightly better, they've laser-treated my ulcers which helps abit.

Yes Michele, I also feel " safe" from Corona here in the hospital as they've got good safety measure & stopped all visitors. I'm in a semi protected environment anyway so it's very strict, all food is sterilized etc. It's due to the immunity problems we have with Leukemia.

I haven't been able to do any embroidery for 3 days, I've just been out flat, dozing most of the day. Simply exhausted . Today I'm feeling more energetic so perhaps I'll manage a bit.

Lou, you've lived in many places & often on the coast. I'd love to live at the sea & be able to nip down to the beach for walks etc. Do you have a sea view from your new apartment Rob ? Watching the sea in all weathers must be so interesting.

Those sunset photos are incredible Rob ! Wow !

Michele your paintings for Alice are really lovely. You have a lot of talent.

Yes the Toulouse Lautrec museum in Albi is well worth a visit. I'm sure your French isn't so bad Rob ! Communicating is the most important thing. Accent doesn't matter as long as it doesn't hinder understanding. Even after 35 years in France, I've still got a trace of my accent.

Hope you all have a lovely day, Ali xx

Good morning everyone

Glad your mouth is feeling a little better Ali and hope that you soon have a little more energy. However, if I have learned anything over recent years, it is to listen to my body and if it says to rest and doze, then that’s what is needed. Frustrating sometimes! Your embroidery will still be there when you feel better. Being treated with immunotherapy also causes immune system problems - it doesn’t make sense to me that boosting the immune system to fight cancer causes immune deficiencies for other bugs. Having had some years of immune modifying drugs before the cancer for rheumatoid arthritis, and now steroids (to work instead of my broken adrenal glands) which are immune suppressant, I don’t think my immune system knows what to do with itself!! It sounds like the hospital has you in a very good protected environment Ali which is great. I will send you some Reiki healing later on.😉

Rob, those photos are so beautiful! I grew up by the sea and now we are about as far as you can get from it here in north Oxfordshire and I miss it terribly. I bet you are actually really pleased not to be moving from Jersey! Do you have a moving date yet?

And yes, Lou, when you have time I would love to see some of your sunset photos too.

Thank you for your compliments on my paintings, you are very kind!

Have a good day everybody!

Michele x

Good morning everyone 😊,

I've missed a few chats here, lots to catch up with.

Michele, I like the others love your drawings. You are so talented. I also love the pencil one of the cat on the post. It is so life-like and I can see my two sitting exactly like that.

How long does it take you to do these? I am very impressed.

Rob, once again those photos are stunning! Photography is just as much an art form as 'artistry' is. The sunset is awesome. I will look out the old ones, I think they actually made it into a photo album, not just stored in a box. Obviously they were taken pre family when time was not an issue!! Haha!

Ali, you are right, I have gravitated towards the coast all my adult life. Until I moved here, the coast was the nearest thing to 'country' we had. Now of course I am surrounded by coast and countryside. You've been in France 35 years! Each time I visit I leave more of my heart there.

It is great you have such excellence of care where you are. Is the French health care system generally very good?

I know what you mean Michele about immunity. Not for me, but we see it with Charlie, he has meds because of the cancer, but they leave him susceptible to catching other things.

Rob, I know you are up to your ears in packing and boxes, I can imagine how tiring that is. Wanting it all to be finished, but there's always that 'stuff in the corner' to sort out! Hope you and Mary manage to find some downtime over the weekend.

Well since I started writing this, Tesco's has been, shopping put away, now I need some more coffee.

I hope you all have good days, chat to you later,

Lou xx

Good evening friends,

Well I have finally finished the Dolphins!

Here it is...

It has been a joy to do. Now I just need to decide which to do next!

Lou xx

Good evening everyone

Hi Ali. I am interested to hear that you still have a trace of your accent. Mary says that when we visit the North my accent changes accordingly. It may hark back a little to when I was young. My Mum came from a well to do family and she spoke with a ‘posh’ accent which I inherited. That was pretty unusual in 60s Hartlepool which was a tough seaport and I was often targeted as a ‘snob’. It was probably to my discredit that I deliberately changed my accent so that I did not stand out so much.

I can understand that you miss the sea Michele. To be honest, I think we take it for granted here as it is all around us. Even so, I do sometimes wish I could jump into my car and drive through the Yorkshire Dales, stopping at a little country café for a fat rascal and a cuppa.

Oh Lou, the dolphins look amazing. A great reminder of your experience of swimming with them. Haha, yes, the packing and sorting is non stop and very tiring and Mary went to bed really early tonight. She was so tired, she didn’t feel like cooking so the chippy came into play again. The owners of the chippy are Portuguese, but they sure know how to do those mushy peas.

Well, off to the tip first thing in the morning. so gotta go.

Rob x

• jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭✭

Good Morning All,

I woke early this morning and have been throughly entertained by all your lovely posts and pictures of sunsets, flowers, art and crafts. You are a clever productive bunch. Sorry haven’t kept up with posts of late.

I have been busy trying to grow tomatoes, and sunflowers, sadly 2 of mine got chomped whilst still 3 inches leaving me one left! My fault I should have left them in the conservatory a bit longer. You live and learn! Hope the remaining one fares better but I’m way behind you and yours Lou. I love your Dolphin painting. You might have inspired me to take it up. 🌻

Ali I hope that your chemo treatment has been bearable and that your mouth is feeling better. It’s a nasty side effect isn’t it? It’s lovely to read your positive posts. I bet you can’t wait to get home to Chili and your husband and see what has grown in the garden whilst you have been away. So pleased to hear that you had a visit on Mothers Day. That must have cheered you up no end! I love the painted stones and since I have seem them I think when I’m walking on our beach “That’s a nice stone to paint Ali”. I think I’m going to start filling my pockets now and try my hand at painting some for my 4 grandchildren. Dinosaurs for Hunter 3 and Frankie 20 months. Flower for Ivy 23 months as she has started showing me flowers and says it so sweetly and Starwars character for 7 yrs Teddy.

I so identify with your comments about steroids! OMG I was so revved up and couldn’t stop talking at top speed! I remember being in the car as a passenger and talking to my husband Norman and he suddenly said “Stop, stop, sorry Jac but it’s like being in the car with you, your Mum and Sister all talking at once!!!

I thought crikey I’m worse than I thought! Haha. We laughed about it after. It used to give me loads of energy, no sleep, huge appetite then I would crash for a few days!

Michelle your paintings and drawing of the cat are lovely! I hope that you are keeping well.

Rob, poor you with all that packing to do! I like the picture of you surrounded by boxes. It will be lovely to finally get settled in your new place and then you and Mary can breathe a sigh of relief! I hope you have a chance of a break today. When do you move Rob? Take care and good wishes to you and Mary.

I have done some painting during lockdown not the artistic type but upcycling some old orange pine furniture. Painted a bedside cabinet, a desk cupboard, and small dressing table in a soft grey and wax polished it. Quite please with result! Norman has banned me from going through any other items in the house though! Apparently he likes the oak! O well you can’t win them all!

I made some cushions from some scraps of material. Also made some for the kiddies too! Pictures here.

I used to make Tiffany glass pieces years ago and am toying with starting up again. Will look into suppliers and see if it is feasible.

Take care all and looking forward to catching up with you soon.

Love Jackie 🙋‍♀️X

Hello folks !

Still in hospital and bearing up 😬 but I'll be happy to get out and do all those little things we take for granted. Hopefully in a few days when my blood counts are high enough. I've had quite a few days where I've just dozed all day - simply exhausted. So no progress on my embroidery I'm afraid .

That furniture you've painted looks lovely Jackie! And the cushions are great! I love to up cycle old furniture & Peter moans when I make him stop the car to pick up another chair someone's throwing out !

He's just sent me a photo of a box he's made for me & planted some hibiscus in it.

Lou ,to answer your question, I'm not sure if the French health system is better than in the UK but I think waiting times are shorter. I can get a Dr's appointment the same day or the next at the most. My cancer treatment has been very efficient & the team of Drs & nurses are wonderful .

Ah, the Yorkshire Dales... Yes Rob, a trip on the steam train from Pickering, a walk around Goathland, then fish & chips in Whitby- what could be better ?

Im getting sleepy , it's the anti allergy drug they give me when transfusing platelets.

A bientôt tout le monde ! Ali xx

Hi Ali,

Bless you I’m so sorry its taking a while to get your blood counts up, I remember that and the exhaustion. They will get you there and then you can enjoy being at home and in your lovely garden.

Unfortunately I couldn’t open the photo attachment. It was lovely of Peter to make you the planter box and put a hibiscus in it.

I was out with a friend and a boat builder was selling little plant boxes and little stools so we bought some very cheap! When I brought my stool in Norman said what you going to do with that? Milk a cow? It was such a giggle! It is just the right height to reach the top shelf in the kitchen cabinets! So I’m happy!

Take care Ali and I hope your home before you know it!

Love Jackie xx

Sorry Ali,

No idea what I pressed to make that unicorn appear haha but its quite funny! 😮 xx

@Chilali1531 , @jacksprat_x1

Hi Ali, Jackie,

Hahaahahahaha 😂😂😂, Jackie, that is so funny, everyone needs a unicorn in their life!!

LOL, so funny about your little milking stool too, hahaha, 😂

Ali, I am so sorry it is taking a while for your blood count to improve. I hope it turns around very soon, and you can return home, and see Peter, Chili, and your garden. Unfortunately I was unable to see the photo either. I love planters especially ones that have been upcycled from something else.

Jackie I love your decorating projects, they must have taken a while to do, especially with the work involved. It is so satisfying when you see your finished work though isn't it. I have been seeing photos on my phone from a year ago when I was decorating in the house. I realised then I meant to tackle the bathroom too, but haven't, then there is our bedroom, which could do with updating. I think Mark will groan with despair if I mention it, even though I will do it, it is the upheaval he doesn't like, oh and the smell of paint, which I love! 😂

I expect Norm has locked the paintbrushes away, in case you get another whim! 😂

Well, I have sat indoors for 3 hours during 2 zoom appointments, time for a walk around the garden. I'd say for some fresh air, but it is scorchio. I still love it. We have just heard Dorset has been declared a major incident as we have had so many visitors, too many(!!), flocking to the beaches, the emergency services have been overrun, and all the roads in and out are gridlocked. Makes my blood boil. Zero social distancing in place. The amount of rubbish that was left behind as well is absolutely disgusting. We were on the front pages headlines today, no doubt we will be again tomorrow. People are so selfish. GRRRR.

Rant over! Sorry!😁

Chat soon,

Lou xx

@Sunshinedaff @RobertA @Chilali1531 @jacksprat_x1

Good morning all

Ali, hope your bloods come up very soon and that you will start to feel better and be able to get home. The box with hibiscus sounds lovely - I always associate hibiscus with hot parts of France although you can buy them over here now and supposedly they are hardy enough.

Lou, your dolphins are gorgeous!!! I love the colours and drama (sorry that sounds like some arty-**rty critic - haha!). You have made a really good job of it! We have seen on the TV and the paper the awfulness of Bournemouth beach yesterday - what can you say? People en masse like that just appal me with their behaviour. I can understand why people would want to go to the beach on a hot day, particularly when they can’t book a holiday abroad but to behave like that leaving rubbish, no social distancing etc, etc is just wrong!! The UV count was very high yesterday too and as I have the skin cancer, I always wonder how many of those people will end up with melanomas! The reflections from the sea and sand make it worse too - many people just think that if you do get one it can just be chopped out, end of story! Not always so! Sorry don’t want to be preachy.

Rob, Hope your packing is well on the way now. We have been having a sort out of accumulated ‘stuff’ while in lockdown and it is amazing how much you collect over the years! I think I could do with Marie Kondo to come and sort me out although I think the “sparking joy” thing is a bit too ‘woo-woo’ for me when it comes to sorting clothes!

Jacki, Great to hear from youLove the unicorn and your up-cycling, that soft grey is beautiful. It is lovely to be able to make things for grandchildren isn’t it?! I have been doing some quizzes for our older two while they have been off school to help with the boredom - Luke who is 10 said that the first one was like school work so made the next one easier but they just google what they don’t know. However, the name of a baby swan defeated them! Luke is now back to school on Thursdays and Fridays until the end of term starting yesterday - his Mum was soooo relieved to have a couple of work days when she could get on but he was exhausted by the time he got home.

Thank you everyone for your lovely comments about my painting and sketches for Alice’s book! The watercolour took a while and several attempts before I was happy with it but the pen sketches were easier as I found pictures of cats in different poses and then adapted them to look like Tiger cat.

I haven’t done much painting this week as have been a bit below par - probably the heat/humidity I expect. My steroids have made me put weight on which defies efforts to take off, and that doesn’t help! The endocrinologist I see, because the immunotherapy knocked out my pituitary gland and adrenals, is now suspicious of my thyroid which might be part of it.

Take care everybody.

Love

Michele x

@NanaBubbles , @RobertA , @jacksprat_x1, @Chilali1531

Good afternoon everyone,

The weather is on the turn here, lol, still very warm, but more clouds in the sky. Last night was a scorcher wasn't it! Phew, I could not sleep, in the end I got up around 3.30, having had enough. I was dozing off at 10.30 this morning though, haha.

Michele, thank you so much, I don't think you sound like one of those art critics. Haha. I did absolutely love doing it. Since I finished it I got the sunflowers out again, and I have been going over it again, to improve it. I think there is now more depth in the colours of the flowers.

You made me laugh, imagining Marie Kondo coming to help you, I wouldn't cope well with that! lol. I am far too much of a hoarder, not good I know. I am trying to clear things out, its just there is so much. Most of it family memorabilia, which I don't really want to dispose of. Phoebe had the cheeky cheek to suggest we get a storage unit! 😂😂

Bless you, steroids are horrible things, and losing any weight after cancer treatment is nigh on impossible I find, such a mammoth task and effort. Sorry you are a bit below your usual self, I hope you pick up soon.

Are you having your thyroid checked out then?

Rob, I hope moving day is going well, and I hope you got things sorted at the house that needed doing too. Looking forward to seeing you and Mary in your new home.

Ali, I hope the bloods are improving significantly and you will soon be going home, how are you feeling, still exhausted?

Thinking of all of you, chat to you soon,

🤗🤗😁

Lou xx

Good evening all !

Just a quick note to say thank you for all your kind wishes. Today I'm feeling quite a lot better so fingers crossed its not too much longer. Looks as tho I'll be spending my birthday here ...(29 June). Oh well ... we'll have a little fête in the garden when I get out!

Jackie, that's a coincidence with the unicorn. I have 3 great girlfriends & we all have an animal symbol & mine is a unicorn !🦄 So I loved the image !!

Hope you're coping with the stifling heat. Must've been a hot move Rob. You deserve a huge ice cream! Yes, really shocking the beach pictures & people's behaviour! A lot of people here don't wear masks in public places- I'm sure we'll have a second wave.

Ill try sending the photo again ...

Bonne soirée Ali xx

@Sunshinedaff @Chilali1531 @jacksprat_x1 @RobertA

Good morning everybody

It is steadily raining here today and cooler which after the last couple of days is a welcome relief! It is the humidity which I don’t like more than the heat.

Lou, yes thyroid being investigated as it is also governed by the pituitary gland. I went to the hospital last week for checks as found some marks on my skin near the site of the original melanoma which were suspicious. I had not had a blood test or check since lockdown started so that was done and included the thyroid tests wanted by the endocrinologist which had been put off because of shielding. The doctor I saw was not my normal lovely oncologist as he has gone back to the research facility at Oxford to help with the Covid 19 vaccine. At the Oxford University Hospitals many of the doctors alternate between seeing patients and research. Anyway, a PeT scan has now been scheduled for the end of next month and then a face-to-face appointment at the beginning of August to review. The thyroid results are being sent to the endocrinologist so she will either call me in or ring as she did last time.

I think you have definitely got the painting bug Lou and I look forward to seeing your revisited Sunflowers. Just be careful not to overwork it though. My former art teacher has a picture of the ‘Just Adder’ in his classroom. It is to stop people thinking “I’ll just add a ...whatever ....” and then spoiling the painting! We are our own worst critics and I know I am guilty of this, particularly with watercolour.

I’m glad I made you laugh about Marie Kondo. I am also a hoarder but I have got better recently as I was holding on to a lot of old family things, particularly my Mum’s and Grandmothers’ things ‘to remember them by’. Then somebody asked me if I would forget the people if I got rid of the items - of course not! Since then I have let things go more but what to do with them? Most have gone to our local Cancer Research shop but recently sent a box of antique collectibles to auction and got about £15 for the whole big box! I shan’t do that again, much better to give to charity I think. There’s always EBay and Gumtree but they can be a faff. I gave some bits to a friend who does car boot sales and was horrified at the sooooo small amount that people would pay for things.

Rob, I expect you have had to dispose of lots of things too with your move so hope that hasn’t been too traumatic for you both.

Ali, glad to read that you are feeling a little better today and going home getting nearer for you although sorry that you won’t be home for your birthday. Joyeux anniversaire for Monday by the way! Thinking of you. The planter with the hibiscus looks tres jolie! Will they flower this summer?

Jacki, Tiffany glass making sounds amazing. What sort of things did you make? I have seen lampshades but expect there are other things as well?

Have a good weekend everybody.

Love

Michele x

@jacksprat_x1 @Sunshinedaff @Chilali1531 @NanaBubbles

Good afternoon everyone.

Well, we have finally completed our move. We are both exhausted but after 35 very happy years in our old home, we are pleased to be in our new low maintenance apartment. What’s more, there is a chippy and a Chinese restaurant, both just a ten minute stroll from here😋.

I have read all of your fascinating posts which have kept me sane. Haha Michele, we have got rid of so much stuff, but we still have things everywhere and we could certainly use some help from Marie Kondo. I bought a bottle of lager for a rare treat on Friday but couldn’t find a bottle opener so I had to share Mary’s Sancerre.

Oh Ali, I do hope that you are able to go home soon. Even if you are not able to be home for your birthday, you can enjoy a late one with Peter and Chili a little later on.

Haha Jackie, you could use that stool to sit on and sing the ‘Moo moo song’. Hunter, Frankie and Teddy would all love that.

Oh Lou. I have seen the pictures of Bournemouth beach. Quite extraordinary, people can be so selfish. Hopefully things will get back to normal soon.

Rob xx

Hi my lovely friends,

Rob, so glad the move has gone smoothly for you, I am not surprised you are both exhausted, it is very tiring, physically and mentally. The change will take a while to get used to maybe. Brilliant to hear you have met some of the neighbours already, and got invites! Go you! Mr and Mrs sociable!! 😄

Perfick.. .chippy and Chinese, well, life is much improved already!! Haha! Yum,yum, Sancerre!! Great taste Mary!! 😄.

Michele, you are right!!! I do need to watch out and not become a 'Just Adder'. I had already thought I need to stop before I ruin it. So I think I will. I am not happy with some of the yellows, but will chalk it up to a learning experience!

I might start a Monet one next. It will be challenging as the colours are very light. I do have some other summery type ones, bur figured they might be better to do when it isn't summer and when I need some cheering up! Lol!

I decided when my sunflowers finally flower I will have a go at painting them. So when I am ready, be assured I will be picking yours and Ali's brains about how to go about it!!

A month is a while to wait for the appointment, but maybe by then things will be different again covid wise.

Chat soon all,

😄😄

Lou xx

@RobertA

Congratulations on your move Rob and wishing you and Mary much happiness in your new home. It must be a great relief to you to finally move - it is always a stressful time and the situation with the Coronavirus must have made it worse for you. I hope that you will be able to get straight at your leisure and make some new friends of your new neighbours.

Michele

• NixsterNixster Posts: 28 ✭✭

Some of the flowers from my garden to brighten everyone’s day!

Stay Positive and have Faith

Love and Hugs

Nikki

• NixsterNixster Posts: 28 ✭✭

One of my hobby’s is Photography. Due to the lockdown and lowered immune system I have been taking photos of birds and flowers Instead of people.

I hope you all enjoy the photos

hugs n love Nikki

@Nixster

Hi Nikki,

Wow! your photographs are fantastic, such an array of different flowers and species of birds. They are beautiful. I love the photo of the chicks in the nest.

I love photography, but I am not as good as you! You are very talented 😊

I hope you have a good day today, evening here now.

Lots of hugs to you,

🤗🤗

Lou xx