'Living better' in 2019 - some little changes

hessomhessom Posts: 112 Community Admin
I personally can't stand January and all the diet/weight loss rubbish that comes with it - nobody should be pressured to change themselves at any time of year (especially when it coincides with buying a gym membership, a load of new recipe books, diet pills, etc etc etc).

However I do like the idea of a new year giving everyone a bit of a boost and a chance to make some little changes that might add up to something positive. 

So I wanted to ask - are there any small things you plan to try for a few weeks this January, to help you live a little bit better on a day-to-day basis?
(Mine is that I'm going to start drinking a calming tea and reading a book before bed instead of messing about on my phone!)

Comments

• LisaFLisaF Posts: 2
    Yes I’m determined to still eat healthily. I’ve downloaded ‘read your bible in a year’ So I’m doing that each day. And I’ve gone back to walking each day which had lapsed whilst on a drug trial. I need to keep mentally well despite the cancer still spreading.
  • SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 760 ✭✭✭✭
    @LisaF

Hi Lisa,

Lovely to read your post. 
    That's great you have been able to resume walking, especially if that is something you enjoy. Do you set yourself targets or walk long distances? I used to love walking many years ago. I now do swimming to try and keep fit, as walking or standing is difficult for me now. But I absolutely love being in the water now. 
    It's great  to hear you are reading 'Bible in a year' as well, I hope that will really help you, being uplifting, providing peace and comfort too. Has the drug trial finished, are you on any other treatment? 

Welcome to the group, hope to chat with you again.

Lou x
  • LisaFLisaF Posts: 2
    Thank you for your encouragement Lou x I too love swimming and love the water but unfortunately the breast cancer has metastasised to my skin so the lesions make swimming uncomfortable/ embarrassing. I’m musing over whether I wear a shortie wetsuit to swim in but that may be a bit OTT 😂. I'll see....... I have just completed a phase 1 trial which unfortunately did not halt the cancer. I'm hoping there is a further trial or treatment...... I'm at Christie's tomorrow.
    I was drawn to the group because I very much want to live better and a more full life with cancer. I would also like to 'chat' with anyone who like me has metastised breast cancer in the skin; I also have lymphoedema in my right arm. I hope I can encourage others as well as learn from other's experiences.

Lisa x
  • LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 319 mod
    edited January 25
    @LisaF
    Hi Lisa, 

I am sorry to hear the cancer has spread. I do hope that you will be able to take part in other trials or treatment. I too have lymphoedema, but in my left arm. There is a lady at my swimming who wears a short wet-suit, I don't know why though. I do think though that you should add goggles and a snorkel too   =) . If this is the best way for you to swim and the pool allow it, I'd just do it. I guess the concern would be if your skin was affected by the chlorine? When I first began to swim after surgery I was very self-conscious about people seeing me, but then I thought why? No-one's bothered by what I look like.
    I am sure you will soon get to know others here as well, it is a friendly place, we encourage each other.

Lou x