Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Cancer Coffee Break

The Power Of Music

JerseyBobJerseyBob Posts: 62 ✭✭✭
edited May 15 in Cancer Coffee Break

Good afternoon lovely people.

I have just been thinking that music is a great way to keep us company whilst we are alone during this awful lockdown. At times, it can even help us to forget our troubles and give us a lift. I think it is also a good way to express how we feel, often in a manner in which we cannot do verbally.

Music is a language we all understand and it unites people and nations. It reminds us of special moments in our lives and, well its just a joy.

I am thinking that most of us have special songs to remind ourselves of particular times in our lives. Perhaps the greatest example of this is the 1939 song by Vera Lynn, 'We'll Meet Again'. it must have given hope to soldiers setting out to fight at the beginning of the Second World War and to their loved ones left behind.

My own special song is 'Big River' by Jimmy Nail with Mark Knopfler accompanying on the guitar. The river in question was the River Tyne and the song was about Jimmy's Dad who worked in the docks before the Second World War. He went to war and then returned to find the great shipyards closing and leaving him struggling to feed his family. My wonderful Dad was a marine engineer in the North East and the song reminds me of him and my childhood and youth.

Would anybody like to share their own special song and why it is so important to them?

Rob x

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JerseyBob

Hi Rob,

This is a lovely idea! I have so many to choose from for different reasons, I am not sure which to share!

When I first read the post, the very first song that popped in my head was Candi Staton's 'Young Hearts Run Free' from 1976. This song brings back many memories for me from my childhood, when ever I hear it I am transported straight back to that time. That year when not in school, I was usually found at the bottom of the garden on the swing with my little transistor radio playing. I would completely lose myself in the music playing. Of course it was 'that' hot summer!

Lou xx

• JerseyBobJerseyBob Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

@Sunshinedaff

Good evening Lou

What a great song it was too. I have just rerun it on YouTube.

I remember that summer of 1976 for a different reason. It was so hot that our reservoirs started to run dry and we were on severe water rations. We had to cancel our cricket matches because we couldn’t water the pitches. It is the only time I can remember sunshine preventing play.

Rob xx

@RobertA

Haha, yes it was so hot! I remember walking to the local shops, barefoot (!),. but the pavements and tarmac were so hot my feet got burned! Lol!

xx

• peter63peter63 Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody,

Hope everyone is staying safe and keeping as healthy as possible.

On the subject of music I'm afraid I going to be a little greedy.

First up "One Day More" from the musical Les Misarable, never fails to make the hairs stand up on the back of my neck

Second Choice "Caravan of Love' remember hearing this at the Durham Miners Gala, during troubled time's, thousands of people all singing along

Third choice" Born to Run " Bruce Springsteen" can't resist belting this one out

Sorry to have been greedy

Best wishes and good luck everyone xxx

@peter63

Hi Peter,

Great choices!! I didn't know it was possible to have three songs at once rolling round my head!! But it is! Haha!

Now I also need to watch Les Mis again!

Happy Easter to you

Lou x

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,198 mod

@peter63 @Sunshinedaff

Hi Peter and Lou

I come from the North East and I worked in a Bank in Peterlee for a couple of years in the late 60s. Half of our customers were employed by the National Coal Board and the other half by the ICI. The ICI employees were paid on Thursdays and the NCB employees on Fridays. Both of those days were crazy but nobody came in the rest of the week. Even though there are no mines left in the County, Durham still celebrates the Miners Gala, though not this year because of the virus of course. I first came to Jersey in 1961 with my Dad. We flew from Newcastle in a DC3 and I remember it very well. The plane had big front wheels and one small rear wheel and on entry from the rear, you had to climb up an incline to your seat. On arrival in Jersey, we had a drink in a lovely bar overlooking the sea and I remember the jukebox playing 'Its Not Unusual' by Tom Jones. Who would imagine that he would still be going strong today.

Rob x