Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Coping With Treatments & Side Effects

Am I worrying unnecessarily?

PML263PML263 Posts: 7

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in April 2016 - had a mastectomy and 13 lymph nodes removed in May 2016 - a course of chemotherapy - scheduled to have radiotherapy but due to post-surgery complications this was not possible. Since then I’ve had the ‘all clear see you in 12 months’ at each oncologist appointment.

But - I’ve had a rattling /wheezy chest since middle of January this year - my own GP said chest infection, then viral bronchitis and now is sending me for a lung function test (querying COPD or Asthma). I keep mentioning the dreadful pain in my upper side (the same side as my mastectomy) but feel as if I’m talking to a brick wall.....no one seems to understand my fear that this wheezy chest and painful side are signs of secondary cancer.

Am I worrying unnecessarily? Any thoughts or help appreciated.

Comments

• kar399kar399 Posts: 19

Hi,

No of course you are not worrying unnecessarily, anybody in your situation would feel the same.

We both know that your GP is most likely right, but your worry is understandable.

Can you possibly see a different GP (with a better manner) or do you have contact details for the Breast Care Nurse you were allocated when originally diagnosed ??

If all else fails then contact Macmillan or Breast Cancer Care for advice. You have to get this sorted for your own peace of mind.

I wish you the best and hope for good news for you,

Jayne xx

• PML263PML263 Posts: 7

Hello Jayne

Thank you for taking the time to reply I really appreciate it.

Yes I’d wondered about going to a different doctor at our practice .....and yes I have contact details for my breast cancer nurses - I just feel I’m going to be thought of as a nuisance if I call them.

Got to do some serious thinking I reckon

Pam xx

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PML263

Hi Pam,

Please don't feel you'd be a nuisance by calling the breast care team, they will not think that of you. It is not surprising you are worrying and feel anxious about this. Once you have had cancer the concern of getting it again is always very real and never very far away. You are doing everything right in trying to get it checked out. Do you have a follow up oncology appointment coming up soon where you can discuss it there too?

I hope the lung function tests come through very soon, and you are able to get to the bottom of it soon.

Don't forget, make the call, you are not being a nuisance.

Lou x