Home β€Ί Cancer Forum β€Ί Cancer Coffee Break

What made you smile this week?😊

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello friends,

Lovely to hear some of your weekend news.

Watching the Masked Singer, knew Octopus was Katherine Jenkins. She had such a beautiful voice. Sorry if you were recording it to watch later!! Haha. Lol. πŸ˜„

I think many of us feel the same about Valentine's Day. The cost of it is ludicrous! We don't often do anything, not even cards! Although I did get Mark a card from Sains! And today he bought some flowers also from Sains! Last of the big spenders we are πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚.

Oooh... Jason Manford..Hedgehog... brilliant voice! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Enjoying some sparkle, why not, Saturday night!

Enjoy your evenings,

Lou xx

• BrightstarBrightstar Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

My friend phoned me this morning. She told me her husband had bought her flowers and a card for valentine's Day. Only trouble was , it was a birthday card! Now that made me laugh! Just goes to show how much attention he had paid to that card! I did say it could have been worst, it could have been a sympathy card! 🀣

Have a lovely day.

Julie x

@Brightstar

Hahaha πŸ˜‚, that reminds me of a birthday present I got for Phoebe years ago...an apron with a Tatty Ted design. She used to love that and she loved baking etc. At the same time it was Mother's Day and to my surprise the girls bought me a new apron, a Tatty Ted one. I thought to myself that's funny they made one for Mother's too! On the birthday day, presents opened, mmm, turns out I had bought the same apron, it wasn't a daughter one..no, they didn't make a daughter one, only a mother one!!. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. Two for me then!! HahaπŸ˜‚

• RobertARobertA Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brightstar @Sunshinedaff

Haha Julie, I love that. Could have been a sympathy card🀣🀣. At least he tried-I hope he didn't end up on the naughty step.

Haha Lou. Great minds think alike. Not sure I'd risk getting Mary an apron. Even a Tatty Ted one.

Quiet day watching cricket in South Africa. Lovely and Sunny there. Great game.

Rob x

@Sunshinedaff @RobertA

There was one Christmas, I realised I had forgotten to get John a card. Luckily we keep our cards and the boxes they come in to protect them. So I delved through them and picked one out. I thought he won't remember it. When he opened it he said is this an old one? I said what makes you say that? He said 'well it says let's hope 2015 is a good one'! Oops it would have been 2018! 🀣🀣🀣 I didn't think to read the inside.😱 Alas, I had to confess, but he has never let me forget it. 🀣

Julie x

• jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

@Brightstar @Sunshinedaff @RobertA

Good evening Dear Friends,

I like that you all celebrated the day of love! ❀️ 😍 Norman took the day off work bless him and we planned to go to Ipswich to have lunch and see a film. Due to my fatigue at the moment I could n’t get myself going till late afternoon and we decided to go to Prezzo and then to the local little cinema to see Just Mercy. Was brilliant! We thought it wasn’t worth a visit preferring the large multiplex, but we were surprised. It was half price for me as it was Valentines Day and they are so welcoming. We didn’t partake but lots of people had cooked food and drinks brought to them. We got the giggles at this! Goes to show you don’t have to go to the big town, it was all on our doorstep. I’ve overdone it a bit lately and went to the Doctor’s and she thought it was too early for me to return to work yet. She has given me something to get back in a routine of sleeping. We’ve had a talk and may not go back to work with all those germs at Boots! We will see.

Lou I didn’t guess any of them but as soon as I saw Katherine Jenkins I thought of course it is. I hope your visit to see the university went well. How are you feeling?

Rob I hope you and Mary are both ok and that your house sale is progressing.

Julie I laughed at your card story! My in laws always got their old cards out each year!

On my Daughter in Law and Sons 3rd Anniversary I was at work and I suddenly realised that I forgot to send them a card. In my break I ran over to the shop, then posted the card. I thought it was a cute card, said something like “for two wonderful guys like you two”. Thats the sort if thing my son will say “ You guys”. The next day they rang to thank me and laughed about the card. The cartoon picture was of 2 GUYS!! Haha I didn’t know we had progressed so much in the card shops! They saw the funny side! Haha.

Well better rescue the dinner so catch up soon lovely people! Hope you all have a lovely evening.

Love Jackie xxxx πŸ™‹‍♀️

Hi Julie, I hope you are starting to feel better and have had your drain out. Take care love Jackie xx πŸ˜˜πŸ™‹‍♀️

@jacksprat_x1 @Brightstar @RobertA

Good evening friends,

Jackie, your afternoon out with Norm sounds brilliant, I haven't heard of that film though? Who bought food in to the others?? Or did they bring their own? I'm usually the one eating popcorn as if it was going out of fashion! πŸ˜‚

I'm glad you got to see your dr, good you have something to help with sleeping, I hope they work soon. Work isn't going anywhere, get yourself stronger first.

Hahaha πŸ˜‚ that is so funny about the cards you two!! I don't know, you and Julie!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. Mind you it is a good idea, just don't put the year in..lol!

We had a long day in Exeter, it went well considering everything. And Friday we heard an offer was made, which is great. Just have decisions to make now!

Well Dennis is going nuts outside tonight, hope you all have a good night.

Lou xx

Hi Lou,

That’s funny about the Tatty Ted apron! πŸ˜†

So pleased there is an offer of a place at Exeter Uni. That’s not too far away from you is it?

Sorry that wasn’t very clear. At the local cinema they can order food and drink to be brought to the seat ... in the dark! The person bringing it looked like Mrs Overall (Julie Walters). That was what made us giggle! Very odd but quite sweet!

Yes work will have to wait I think.

The film was about a framed prisoner on death row in the eighties. It was a true story and about the lawyer who overturned the ruling. Was brilliant but very sad. Wasn’t sure about seeing but was worthwhile.

We have been lucky with Dennis, so far, hope you are all ok.

love Jackie xxπŸ™‹‍♀️

@jacksprat_x1

Hi Jackie. So glad you managed to do something for valentine's Day. It sounds like it was a lovely day. I haven't heard of that film either, but I do like true stories. I like the fact they will bring food to your seat. I don't think they offer that service at ours!πŸ€”

Yes my drain is out now thank goodness. It's been out for 2 weeks now.

I go to see about my proper prosthetic next week and I have already had my appointment come through for August. That's when I get to see about getting my other bust reduced. I don't think I am going to put myself through a reconstruction. It's such a big op and I think once I have had my reduction, I will be ok with just my prosthetic.

Glad you are not rushing back to work. It's important that you are well, both physically and mentally before going back.

Have a peaceful day.

Love Julie x

Hi Julie,

It’s a beautiful morning here, bright and sunny! Not too windy!

I am pleased that your drain was removed, must feel a lot better now that’s gone I would think, although you must still be coping with the pain in recovery. Like you I have decided not to go through more surgery to reverse my colonoscopy and rejoin the bowel. I don’t want the trauma of another major operation and a risk of having a non successful join-up. I appreciate that you still have to go through the reduction op but you have to do whats right for you don't you?

My goal is to get through chemo brain and fatigue at the moment. We are funny things aren’t we, I’m always trying to rush things but I am just realising this is a much longer haul than I realised. I got clear scans and thought right come on this is it, started to help out with childcare because I wanted to only to realise that its too soon! I read Karin Seagers (Thank you Karin) Article on Fatigue and Chemo Brain/Fog and she said its a bit like a computer that can run with lots of Apps open at once, when you have brain fog you may only be able to run with one App open and run out of battery sooner! That’s me! It was a revelation! I have forwarded her article to my family on The Family Whattsapp group. Even I was thinking come on whats the matter with you , You had your all clear, so goodness knows what my kids think! This will explain perfectly why Nanny can’t do so much at the moment. I think we have to be kind to ourselves if we are going to recover from this episode in our lives. And when the weather hots up again I Will have my gin and tonic I couldn’t face last year on my patio and think well I could have been at work haha! 🍸Cheers!

I hope you have a lovely day and enjoy a little bit of fresh air if you are able to with the weather.

Take care

love Jackie xx πŸ™‹‍♀️

Hi Jackie. Yes a step at a time for us both at the moment. Although you have been through far worse than me.

At least you will be able to enjoy the summer this year. Make sure you have plenty of gin and tonics! I bought John a bottle of Parma Violets flavoured gin for Christmas. Sounded disgusting to me, but I knew John would love it.

If I was you, I would try and have the summer off before going back to work. Sunshine is such a good tonic for all of us!

I haven't ventured outside yet but I am going to get my hair done tomorrow and have an opticians appointment as well. It will be nice to see the outside world again. I just hope I can wear a bra without being too sore.

I am meeting a friend for lunch on Wednesday, so looking forward to that.

I have been a bit of a recluse these last few weeks. I haven't really wanted anyone seeing me like this. I don't think any of my friends have ever seen me without my hair and makeup done. The last thing I have felt like doing is getting ready.

Enjoy the rest of the day and take it easy.

Love Julie πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ˜˜

Morning Jackie,

Oohhh!! I see, haha, now I can imagine that, food and drink slopping all over the place. That has made me smile today thinking about Acorn Antiques, haha😊

It is great you found the article Karin did about chemo brain and fatigue so helpful, it is a really good analogy, when you think about it like that it makes much more sense.

I was at an appointment this morning writing this, hence good morning, but now it is past lunchtime, so good afternoon, hahaha, hope you have been able to enjoy the sunshine on your patio, out of the wind of course!! Very bright here currently, but we have just had rain/sleet!

Lou xx

Hi Julie,

It’s understandable that you have stayed at home these days with the weather so cold and recovering from your operation. I hope you enjoyed having your hair done and your appointment at the opticians. Hope you enjoy your lunch with your friend tomorrow. I met my dear friend Linda yesterday for lunch. I thanked her for all her support and messages and for getting me out whilst I was recovering. Friends are wonderful when you are going through what we have been through. I found that after the first month or so I made sure I put my eyes on and dressed up when I went out. Just made me feel like I was getting there. Used to make me smile when people said you look well! Haha I used to think you don’t really know how I am inside but they don’t know what to say do they?

I have been thinking about going back to work because I had a meeting with my Boss last week and unless I go back by 10 March I will be dismissed as I have exceeded my sick leave allowance. 6 months max. Although my previous manager had overlooked it the new manager has to deal with it. As my friend said They do not give you sick pay. Have the summer off, do all the things you couldn’t do last summer. There are other jobs that don’t require weekend, bank holiday and xmas & New year working and having to book holidays a year in advance and no odd days off! You know she has a point! I’m not going back! Sometimes this sort of crisis makes you realise what is important! So lots of walks along the sea are on the cards and time with the family instead of working and missing events.

Hope you had a nice day Julie.

Hi Lou,

Hope you have had a good day. We are looking after my daughter’s dog for the rest of the week. He is a chocolate Lab. Jasper hasn’t left Norman’s side! They do get on well though.

I loved Acorn Antiques it really did make me laugh.

Yes Karin’s article was brilliant and as I was saying to Julie I have decided not to go back to my 20 hours at Boots. Her description of how I am feeling validated my decision. Norman said don’t worry just get well. Think we were just brought up not to give up weren’t we? But there are more important things in life.

I hope your appointment went well Lou. Sorry you have had bad weather. Rain and sleet 😬I hope you have not been affected by any flooding.

Hope you have a peaceful night.

Take care.

love Jackie x πŸ™‹‍♀️

• PositiveLady10PositiveLady10 Posts: 66 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I wanted to share this with you all as I’m so proud.

Today my granddaughter aged 10, had 20” cut off her hair, to send to The Princess Trust, who use it to male wigs for children who have lost their hair.

It was her own idea as she said she wanted to help others.

My daughter in law set up a just giving page and has raised over £700 to go to the local Hospice which cared for her Nan.

I’m so proud of her for doing this,and for 2 wonderful charities , well done to Molly πŸ‘πŸ‘

regards,

Barbara

P.S I could have so done with that hair after I lost mine this time last year ..... look at the money I would have saved 😘

• PositiveLady10PositiveLady10 Posts: 66 ✭✭✭

This was Molly and her sister Rosie on the right ,presenting the collection tins which she had placed in the school to add to her just giving page for her hair cut, read above story for full story Proud Nanny,

Barbara xx

@PositiveLady10

Morning Barbara,

Wonderful to read thisπŸ˜€. How amazing is Molly to decide to do this. Her hair grew so long, which is brilliant. It must have felt very strange for her once it was cut off. Fabulous that two charities have benefited from Molly's generous heart.

You are right to be a very proud Nanny. πŸ˜€

I hope you are doing better,

πŸ€—

Lou xx

What a wonderful kind and generous thing to do. A lot of the youngsters get such a bad press these days. It brought joy to my heart reading about your granddaughter. No wonder you are so proud.

Julie x

@jacksprat_x1 @Brightstar @PositiveLady10 @Sunshinedaff @KarinSieger

Good afternoon dear friends

Wow, you have all been busy posting over the last few days and I have enjoyed reading your posts.

Hi Jackie, I think that your experience reminds us that the all clear from cancer is not the end of the story and we have to keep on looking after ourselves and not get too far ahead and do too much. It is lovely to hear that your friends are so supportive as it is easy for people to forget what we have been through and are still going through. I too have been reading Karin's articles about brain fog which have been really reassuring. I have been getting confused and forgetful recently and it is comforting to know that there are reasons and options. I am having a follow up with a group from our 'Hope' team at MacMillan this evening and it will be fun to catch up and see how everyone is getting on.

Hi Julie. I can't believe how positive and entertaining you have been so soon after your procedure. I do hope that you enjoyed your venture into the outside world and lunch with your friend.

Oh Barbara. What a lovely thing for your granddaughter and her friends to do. I think I was a lot more selfish and thoughtless at their age.

Hi Lou. Exeter sounds fairly convenient and I have heard it is a lovely City. Haha, need to get moving for my meeting this evening. Will write more fully soon.

Rob x

@jacksprat_x1 @Sunshinedaff @RobertA

Hi Jackie. Glad you have decided not to go back to work. They don't sound like a nice company to work for anyway. Retail has gone awful. They expect so much from you and think you should not have any sort of family life!

I was about to start a new job when I got my diagnosis. Because I didn't know where all this was going to go, I rang them and explained I would not be able to accept the job after all.

I must admit the thought of looking for another job, fills me with dread. But I am going to get my next op out of the way first. I might just end up taking early retirement yet.

Had a nice couple of hours with my friend Wendy at Café Rouge yesterday. She spoilt me with a lovely box of chocolates and some lovely roses.

I wasn't quite myself, as I had a migraine hovering from the day before. I always end up with one when I go to the opticians. It's all the lights shining in my eyes. I still had a nice time though.

Hope you didn't get caught in that heavy rain we had earlier Lou. In fact it sounded like hailstone! I was glad I was all snuggled up on the sofa.

Hope all you lovely people have a peaceful evening.

Love Julie πŸ€—πŸ˜˜

Good evening lovely friends,

I have been struggling with a virus the last couple of days, you know the sort...throat, glands up etc, had to visit the dentist though today just for a check-up. Somehow we always end up laughing so much, I had a fit of the giggles today. I cried laughing. I was recalling a sketch from a Catherine Tate show, it must have been years ago, but it still has me in stitches!

I have always had a complete phobia about the dentist too, I found a brilliant dentist who is perfect for people like me, so even though we moved many years ago, I still go back to the same one. I have told him before he can never retire! hahaha!

Jackie I meant to say the other day, I think it sounds like the right decision not to return to work yet, and as your friend has said, they are not paying you, you don't owe them anything. I am surprised though that they can dismiss you, I didn't think that was allowed with cancer patients? I remember I had been off work for over a year, I was no longer receiving sick pay, but I also know I wasn't ready to return to work even though treatment had finished, but further surgery was still to be done. I was waiting at the hospital for an appointment, mulling all of this over, thinking I actually don't want to go back it didn't feel right. But I also felt guilty because as you say we are brought up not to give up and to behave responsibly! Leave a job without another one to go to?? Surely not! Thankfully at the same time I was thinking all this my husband out of the blue says he didn't think I should go back! That was it decision made! I knew it was the right one.

This way you can give yourself time to enjoy living, think about what other things you might like to get involved in once you are fully recovered.

Julie it sounds like the right decision for you too at the moment, you need to concentrate on your recovery as well. I hope your migraine has gone now, we missed the rain and when we were coming home it was beautiful blue sky and sunshine on one side, and black clouds on the other!πŸ˜€

It isn't surprising that for many of us being diagnosed with cancer causes us to re-evaluate our lives and what we are doing. An unexpected silver-lining really.

Rob, I hope your meeting has gone well this evening, I think it is lovely how you have been able to make new friends and contacts from doing the Hope course, and of course your regular support of the Macmillan team in Jersey must have brought you into contact with many others too.

Although we have been to Exeter three times now with uni stuff, we still haven't spent a lot of time exploring the city yet! The uni days are usually so full of activity, by the time they are finished we are all exhausted! Hopefully during the summer we can re-visit just to play!πŸ˜€

Have a peaceful evening everyone,

Lou xx

• Jaro44Jaro44 Posts: 1 ✭

My 9yr old granddaughter sent me a message out of the blue saying “I love you to the moon and back”. It made me cry but also made me smile. It was just what I needed when I was having a low day.

How lovely. I can understand how it would make you want to cry as well. I'm sure she brings you much joy.

Julie x

• NanaBubblesNanaBubbles Posts: 50 ✭✭

Happy Saturday everyone!

We have had our grandchildren staying part of this week as it is half-term here in Oxfordshire. Apart from the kids themselves who always make me happy, they arrived with a lovely bunch of tulips for me which are just gorgeous and I smile every time I look at them. Also in the garden we have lots of daffodils flowering now, hellebores and signs of growth everywhere but particularly making me smile is the daphne which smells gorgeous.

Hope everyone is doing OK. Still very tired after my pneumonia but I was able to have my treatment last Friday - I could hardly believe it was my 15th infusion (I am on immunotherapy rather than chemo which doesn’t work on metastatic melanomas).

@Sunshinedaff

Lou, I have been meaning to ask if your neck/shoulder is better now and, depending on that of course, whether you have been doing any more painting and tried your new easel out?

Love to all

Michele x

@NanaBubbles

Hi Michelle. Glad you are starting to feel better.

I love tulips, they are one of my favourite flowers. I actually prefer them to roses. They do tend to droop though, but I love that about them.

I know nothing about the type of treatment you are on. As you are on your 15th, I take it that you probably don't have too many more to go. πŸ€”

Tiredness is a main factor for most people with cancer, so you having had pneumonia has been a double whammy!

Enjoy the rest of your day, and take it easy.

Thinking of you.

Love Julie πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ˜˜

• NanaBubblesNanaBubbles Posts: 50 ✭✭

@Brightstar

Hi Julie

Thanks for your kind words and thoughts.

True enough about the tiredness! Plus we have had the two grandchildren here (9 and 13 so old enough to be helpful!) as well as their Mum was working. The immunotherapy has been brilliant in shrinking the melanomas which were Stage 3 (following a wrong diagnosis) but it is a control not cure situation so I have to have the infusions for 2 full years every 4 weeks which will be end of December to finish. It usually makes me feel grotty for a few days afterwards so that was this week too. Still afternoons watching films with the grandchildren with my feet up kept me going.

I used to work for a Dutch company and on one occasion had a little time to kill while in Amsterdam so I went to the flower market to buy some tulips to bring home. The vendor boxed them for me and told me to cut half an inch off the stems before taking the wrapping off them and then stand in a few inches of water for a couple of hours. After that arrange as normal and it stops them drooping although they still go their own way! They do last longer.

Have a good weekend.

Love

Michele xxπŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‹ 😘

@NanaBubbles

Hi Michele,

Lovely to hear from you, I am glad you have had a good week with the grandchildren, I am sure they probably loved it just as much as you!πŸ˜€ Not so good the tiredness from your illness and feeling grotty from the treatment, I hope in the next few days you begin to pick up again.

I love your tulips, they are one of my favourite flowers, that is a good tip too, I will try that when I next buy some as I do find they droop very quickly, even though I do trim the stems. I have a soft spot for anything Dutch, as my father used to work in Holland when I was younger and he would often return home with little gifts.

My neck is much better thank you, although this week I have been struggling with a virus of sorts, which is still going on. I just did some painting this afternoon, not done much this week. I posted an update on the creative chat and the furry friends chat, with some pics. The easel is making a huge difference! I love it.

I hope you have a restful, peaceful evening,

πŸ€—πŸ€—

Lou xx

• kirstyhbckirstyhbc Posts: 1 ✭

Hi everyone

This made me smile I had great news this week my stage 4b rare aggressive cancer of the endometrium is in remission πŸ˜€I was told when I was 1st diagnosed that they wouldn’t offer me surgery as it had already spread and that chemotherapy was to buy me more time.My tumour responded far better than expected to chemotherapy and on the 23rd December I had a hysterectomy which meant I spent Christmas in hospital. I am back on the chemotherapy I have had 2 lots and got one more to go in March.

@kirstyhbc

What fantastic news. I hear so many stories like yours. The doctors are not always right and we are all unique.

Not too far away now before your last chemo.

May your health go from strength to strength.

Your story certainly put a smile on my face as well.

Julie x

@kirstyhbc

Hi Kirsty. Having surgery and spending Christmas in hospital would not normally be something to celebrate, but your news is brilliant and I am delighted for you.

I am pleased that you have found our lovely Community. We love to chat, support and encourage each other and best of all, to share and celebrate good news together. You have certainly made me smile today.

Rob x