Home Cancer Forum What's On Your Mind Today?

Stage 4 bc

JaxyJaxy Posts: 5

I was diagnosed with stage 4 bc nearly 7yrs ago. I found a lump in my neck in October 19 and I’m undergoing chemotherapy at the moment. Consultant has discussed targeted treatment afterwards. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this kind of treatment and how have you tolerated it ? Many thanks in advance. Jaxy.

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jaxy

Hi Jaxy,

I just wanted to welcome you to the community. I am not in your situation even though I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2015. I did have chemotherapy, surgery and radiotherapy. I am not sure what targeted treatment consists of. I am sorry to hear a new lump has been found meaning you are now having chemo. How are you getting on with it? Do you have many cycles to do?

Hopefully someone who has been in a similar situation to you will say hello, and have some insight for you.

There are many of us here who have been diagnosed with breast cancer of all different types, grades and stages. Everyone is very friendly here, and I hope you will feel supported and get to know us soon. Please feel free to join in with any discussions going on, there are usually several happening at the same time.

I hope to chat with you soon,

Lou

• JaxyJaxy Posts: 5

Hi sunshinedaff

thanks for the welcome. I’m currently on no. 11/18 chemo cycle. It seems such a long slog every week but hey ho I’m getting there 😊

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JulieM86

Hi Julie,

I loved reading your post, it is so encouraging and positive. I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments.

When I was diagnosed with breast cancer in September 2015, we were informed by the doctor of the treatment plan already laid out for me, I just had to agree. After the initial 'you have breast cancer' conversation had taken place, when I had argued with the doctor 'that it couldn't possibly be my results they were looking at, it must be a mistake, please check again', back and forth conversation, until I realised they did indeed mean me, not someone else, I turned to them and said, 'well then, we are going on holiday on July 23, I am driving to the south of France, if you can get it all done by then, lets get on with it'. The nurse looked at me and said how it was good to have something to look forward to, which I replied, 'it isn't just hoping, we are going, it's paid for!' And our journey began...

On July 23 we were up very early, and I drove to France that day (via the ferry!). There was never any doubt we would reach that day. A year later we went on our once in a lifetime dream holiday to Florida too.

Since being diagnosed, and coming through the other side in almost one piece, granted bits are missing, but we won't dwell on that 😊, I have aimed to live each day, to live life in the best way I can. Life is too short and can change overnight, as those of us with a cancer diagnosis have found out. My priorities, our family's priorities have changed, we developed a different perspective post-cancer. We currently have a lot of other stuff going on which has impacted the family but even this we know we will get through.

I am very sorry to hear of your diagnosis and you are very young, my sister was that age when she was diagnosed. But you sound a determined, courageous person, with your family supporting you I hope you will one day find yourself on the other side of this, looking back at where you have come from and looking forward to a new life without cancer. Your planned trips sound wonderful and very exciting. I could talk about Florida and our holiday there all the time, it was fabulous.

I hope you are managing to get through the chemo without too much difficulty, I know it isn't easy and everyone can react very differently. You are very welcome here, everyone here is very friendly and supportive, hopefully you will get to know us soon.😀

Lou x

• JaxyJaxy Posts: 5

Thanks so much Julie. I’ve developed neuropathy side effect of chemo 😔so now going onto lower dose.