Home Cancer Forum Cancer Coffee Break

Furry friends (the best recovery buddies!)

2»

Comments

• RobertARobertA Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ali61

Hi Ali

What gorgeous photographs. Poor Blossom. How on earth did she rupture her cruciate ligament. Not playing football I assume. My Mum always had black poodles and she gave them exotic French names until she got a brown one. She couldn't think of a suitable name for her and so we called her Brownie which stuck, thank goodness. Chester is lovely too - friends of mine have a Mainecoon. He is a big lad but very gentle and friendly.

I was going to welcome you to the group, but I see you have been a member for a while now. I do hope that you are keeping well and thank you for posting.

Rob x

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou

I have an old flatbed scanner and you just clip the transparencies into a special section and press 'Go'. The photos then download into the computer. The one I posted was a bit jaded and marked so I put it through Photoshop and removed the blemishes using the 'healing brush' and then strengthened the colours a bit. It took about three hours before I was happy with it, but it was worth it and I have done quite a few since then.

I don't know if you can still get those flatbeds, but if you pop over to Jersey, you can use mine. xx

Rob x

• So lovely to see all your furry friends!!

Here’s a pic of me and my dog, Vincent.

He is obsessed with ricecakes and loves cuddling. He’s also chewed every single furniture of mine as a puppy but you just can’t get mad at him he’s so cute!!

Z xx

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blankazsanna5

Hi Blanka,

Lovely to see you and Vincent! I know what you mean, it is often impossible to tell our cuddlies off, especially when they give you 'that' look!! Lol! Haha😄

Lou x

• Af21Af21 Posts: 7

I have Alan , the dwarf hamster! As many of you experience , lack of sleep is an issue . This little guy trundling in his wheel in the wee hours keeps me company! X

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 172 Community Admin

@Af21, what a GREAT name for a hamster!! 😋 I used to have one too, called Almond and she went absolutely nutts around 1am every single night. Running up and down, jumping from point A to point B. Crazy creatures!! 😁

• jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Lovely picture of Vincent having a cuddle.

I love the names you have given your hamsters!

Sending you a picture of my very furry fur baby Jasper. He is a Retreiver and is 9 years old. A real faithful friend soft as anything. Notice he crosses his feet! Notice that Mum has her boots on on the rug... don’t tell Dad! Haha.

Have a peaceful day all.

Love Jackie🙋‍♀️

• BrightstarBrightstar Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

Ahh Jasper melted my heart . Loved the way his paws are crossed.

Our animals bring us such joy. I don't think a home is a home without a pet. Although they are a huge responsibility.

We haven't had a holiday for donkeys years because I would never leave my last 3 pets with anyone, because of health issues. We can go away for one night but that's it. It's a small price to pay though and I would not be without my Alfie. John would probably say otherwise though! 🤣🤣

Ahhh, that is a beautiful photo of Jasper, Jackie. They bring us such joy don't they! I couldn't imagine life without our two, we are all besotted with them.

Julie, I don't blame you not wanting to leave Alfie, I find it really hard to leave ours when we go away. I think if we hadn't started leaving them with the cattery when they were tiny, I wouldn't be able to go now. Last year was very hard, the first time since Charlie was diagnosed with cancer, I was very, very nervous of leaving him. But the cattery were brilliant, and he was fine! Costs an arm and a leg though, but worth it. Years ago with other pets we would have family or neighbours come in twice a day to look after them, but I wouldn't do that now, even if we got new pets.

@Af21 , do you have a pic of Alan to share? Haha, at least we are not the only ones whose pets keep us up at night! We have to put ours in the lounge with the door closed from the bedrooms otherwise we would be sat on, licked, pawed constantly. They both have such loud purrs too, in the early hours it is a racket!😂

Lou x

• Af21Af21 Posts: 7

Alan the dwarf (ahem !) hamster

Ahhhh,😄, I have never seen a dwarf hamster before.

Alan really is a ball of fluff! 😊

Lou x

Ahh so cute. XX

@Af21 @Blanka_C @jacksprat_x1 @Sunshinedaff @Brightstar

Good afternoon all

Haha Af21. Alan looks amazing. No wonder, he is clearly a healthy eater and with all that exercise on his wheel, he must be very fit.

Oh Jackie. Jasper is gorgeous, and he looks so chilled and gentle, almost human with his feet crossed.

Hi Julie. I love hearing about Alfie. Does he sit in your lap while you are watching TV?

Oh Lou, your cats sound very homely. My sister in law has a large black cat and when we go to stay, he lies on our bed and purrs just as you have described. I love it but Mary is not so sure.

We have not had pets for years, largely because we are retired and like the freedom to travel which we did not have when we were working. Mary says she doesn't need a pet, she has a pest. Wonder who that is?😂

Rob x

Hi Rob. Good to hear from you. You have been greatly missed.

Alfie does jump up on to my lap, but only when he wants one of his treats. He lets me feed it to him and then he jumps straight down again!🤣 I have tried picking him up and putting him on my knee, but once he realises there is nothing for him, he is off!

He will also get on his hind legs and paw me like a dog. If I don't give him anything then he will nip me! I'm afraid I tend to give in to him, mainly because I don't like being nipped!🤣 He also looks so cute when he is pawing me, that it's hard to resist him.

Our pets certainly know how to get round us!

Julie x

This is Charlie, he gets very jealous of the paintbrush!! Haha 😄 this was a couple of weeks ago.

😄😄

Oh he is so adorable. He looks like a mummy's boy to me! ☺️

What lovely photographs Lou. Not camera shy is he, I guess he knows he’s a looker.

• jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

O I love this conversation!

Hi Af21 I have never seen such a fine Hamster as Alan! He is gorgeous. His meal looks lovely and fresh, very appetising!

Julie what colour is your Rabbit? We all tend to spoil our pets don’t we? Our friends used to to have a large white rabbit called Snowy who came to stay with us when our friends went on holiday. He used to love to play with a large football. Very cute.

Hi Rob, thank you, he is a lovely boy! He makes us laugh with some of his funny little habits. Nice to hear from you again, hope you are feeling better than you were. What can Mary mean? Pest? Surely not! 😂

Hi Lou, aww Charlie is so lovely! Very cute your little helper! Reminds me of when our cat Alfie used to catch our daughter Amber’s pen as she was doing her homework! They are so funny aren’t they? We used to leave the hosepipe running to top the pond up and she would hold it and look like a fireman with a hose! Was so funny. Will see if I can find the picture! We lost her aged 15 to the big C! She was a character! My brother said o yes its a boy, the vet said nooo its a girl! The kids loved the name so it stuck! A girl called Alfie!

Take care folks have a peaceful night.

love Jackie 🙋‍♀️X

@jacksprat_x1

Hi Jackie. I have attached a photo of Alfie. He looks like butter wouldn't melt in his mouth, but he is a bit of a one, I can tell you. He has terrible tantrums when he doesn't get is own way. I would not change him for the world though!

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou

Couldn't help thinking of Charlie in your 20 Feb photo when I saw this. Here he is doing a self portrait.

Rob xx

@RobertA

Hahahaha! Yes, that is so funny, I think he does see himself like this too! 😁

The jealousy has escalated now, the pair of them fight over the space behind the easel! 😁

Lou xx