Home Cancer Expert Q&A Hub Cancer Coffee Break

The Live Better With Creative Club - share your art, poem, etc here!

Comments

• BrightstarBrightstar Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

@NanaBubbles

Hi Michelle. Poor you, you have had a rough time of it. Glad you are feeling better.

Its nice to know we can all put a smile on your face.

Just knowing that we can all lift each others spirits when we are going, or gone through such difficult times is reassuring.

I downloaded The Fisherman's Friends music. Wild Rover has to be favourite, because of all the memories of Cornwall. I lived in Perranporth and Newquay, but I definitely left my heart in Perranporth!

Hope you have a lovely, peaceful day.

Love and hugs Julie x

• NanaBubblesNanaBubbles Posts: 166 ✭✭✭

@Brightstar

Hi Julie

Thanks for your good wishes. I think it is helpful being able to share things with folk who have similar problems and so understand how you feel. I have some lovely friends in the village here but I don’t really think they get it!!

If I can’t find the cassette, I will download the same so thanks for that. My Mum lived in Perranporth as a child in the 1920s and it was always a favourite place to visit for all of us. They ended up in Mawnan Smith as Dad worked in Falmouth. They have both passed away now and we live up-country in North Oxfordshire so sometimes I get a longing to go back - last time was October and we stayed on the Roseland peninsula which was lovely. (I sketched the round houses at Veryan.). My husband was fed up driving the narrow Cornish lanes by the time we went home! (Ha!Ha!)

Take care.

Michele xx

• jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭✭

@Brightstar @NanaBubbles

Hi All,

O Cornwall how I love it! we rented a cottage a couple of years ago. I had been quite a lot when I was younger and my husband had never been. He loved it too.

I love to hear The Fishermans Friends singing the old folksongs. I recently bought the Dvd of Fishermans Friends film. It told the story of the fisherman and was lovely to see. Worth looking it up on Sky if you have it.

Take care.

lv Jackie xx🙋‍♀️

@jacksprat_x1 @Brightstar

Hi Jackie

Thanks for this - I guess I am going to be taking it easy for a while so once I can get downstairs I will definitely look on Sky for the film. My Mum bought me a dvd of all the beautiful gardens in Cornwall which I love - Trebah and Glendurgan are only just down the road from the house and Trelissick and Cotehele were great favourites. I will shortly be getting another pull at my heart strings to go down!

At my Mum’s funeral (the old church at Mawnan, overlooking the Helford) my daughter read John Masefield’s poem. She loved poetry and this was one of her favourites - appropriate as she had been living with us for a few years after my Dad died,

The West Wind By John Masefield (1878-1967)

It's a warm wind, the west wind, full of birds' cries; 

I never hear the west wind but tears are in my eyes. 

For it comes from the west lands, the old brown hills. 

And April's in the west wind, and daffodils. 

It's a fine land, the west land, for hearts as tired as mine, 

Apple orchards blossom there, and the air's like wine. 

There is cool green grass there, where men may lie at rest, 

And the thrushes are in song there, fluting from the nest. 

"Will ye not come home brother? ye have been long away, 

It's April, and blossom time, and white is the may; 

And bright is the sun brother, and warm is the rain,-- 

Will ye not come home, brother, home to us again? 

"The young corn is green, brother, where the rabbits run. 

It's blue sky, and white clouds, and warm rain and sun. 

It's song to a man's soul, brother, fire to a man's brain, 

To hear the wild bees and see the merry spring again. 

"Larks are singing in the west, brother, above the green wheat, 

So will ye not come home, brother, and rest your tired feet? 

I've a balm for bruised hearts, brother, sleep for aching eyes," 

Says the warm wind, the west wind, full of birds' cries. 

It's the white road westwards is the road I must tread 

To the green grass, the cool grass, and rest for heart and head, 

To the violets, and the warm hearts, and the thrushes' song, 

In the fine land, the west land, the land where I belong.

What a beautiful poem. It has actually bought tears to my eyes.

I used to write a lot of poetry when I lived in Cornwall. I used to find a nice remote spot overlooking the sea for inspiration. Funny enough I never wrote another piece after I left Cornwall.

I still have the writing book full of the pieces I have wrote though.

One of my favourite poems is by Leo Marks called The Life That I Have. I actually want that read at my funeral to my husband, but hopefully not for a long time yet!

Love Julie 🤗 😘

Dear Julie and Nana Bubbles,

Lovely poems, lovely words😘 xx

@Brightstar

Hi Jackie

This is very beautiful too and also one of my favourites. It was in the front of a book which I read a long time ago now and I copied it out - don’t ask me which book though!

Do you have any of your poetry which you would share? I always think poetry is very personal so you may not wish to.

Anybody else out there written any poetry they would share - if you will, I will!!

Love

Michele x

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jacksprat_x1 @Brightstar @NanaBubbles

Hello lovely ladies😊

Wow, I am impressed with anyone who can write poetry! It is something that I have never been able to do. I can write, just not poems! I hated doing them at school too.

I remember having to do it in English, like we all did, and had to write about Wordsworth's 'I wandered lonely as a cloud'. I didn't have the faintest idea, but it is the one poem I have remembered from so long ago, and it stuck!

I too love Cornwall, spent many years holidaying there as a child and we went as a family with the girls too for several years. I am going in a few weeks time to Falmouth, uni interviews and visiting, we will have to stop over too! Ohh Julie, by the way the pasty shop I order from is Philps Pasties from St Ives!

Michele, I am so sorry you have had a rough few days, glad you are at home though, I hope the meds start to work quickly and you feel better soon. I am now looking for a stand/easel to paint on as I have hurt my neck painting looking down at the table! I am really enjoying it, but not able to do any today.

Sending you all lots of smiles and hugs,

Lou xx

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou

So sorry that you have a sore neck from doing your painting and hope it will very soon improve. An easel is a good idea but would recommend a table easel so that you can sit and paint as it is too exhausting to stand and paint! I am feeling a bit better now but temperature still up, haven’t needed the Oromorph today though so have been a bit more awake. Your e-smiles and hugs very welcome!

Like you, I had to learn Daffodils in English and some of it stuck but my Dad was ex-war time RAF and some bright spark came up with the following parody of Daffodils - black humour I suppose to amuse them when there wasn’t much to be amused about! Of course, he was duty bound to teach it to me in the ‘60s despite my Mum’s protests and inevitably, this version did stick in my brain!

I wandered lonely as a cloud that floats on high in little bits,

When all at once, I saw a crowd, a host of yellow Messerschmitts!

And now interred for the duration, I wish I had not broke formation!

I have always loved poetry, probably since my Mum used to read me “The Lady of Shallot” and other poems at bedtime, and later to my daughter too! My son preferred ‘Hiawatha’. I wish I could say that my own poetry is remarkable but it helped to keep me sane while going through a bad patch with my rheumatoid arthritis.

Have a good night.

Michele xx

edited January 2020

@NanaBubbles

Hi Michele,

Yes today I ordered a table-top easel, should arrive tomorrow! I am looking forward to it's arrival! Unfortunately my neck/head pain has not improved yet, dosed up with pain meds and trying to rest as much as possible!

I like your Dad's version!

The Lady of Shallot I love having been introduced to it from reading 'Anne of Green Gables', one of my most treasured books. I have an edition from 1914, I fell in love with the story as I saw myself in Anne when I was young.

Hope today has been better again for you.

Lou xx

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou

So sorry about your neck! It is a miserable pain! I expect you have tried neck stretches, heat or ice packs. Hope it eases for you very soon.

Yes, thanks, feeling better again today and have been watching the film of ‘Mary Queen of Scots’ on TV which I enjoyed although a sad story.

I loved Ann of Green Gables too when I was young. Mum gave me her (very well read) copy which I have now passed on to my 13 year old grand-daughter. How lovely to have a 1914 edition though! Probably worth a bit but worth more to you as a ‘treasure’ I’m guessing.

Look after yourself.

Love

Michele x

@NanaBubbles @Sunshinedaff

Anne of Green Gables, now that brings back memories. I had never heard of it until I saw it many years ago on TV. I then went and bought the videos.

I loved Lark rise To Candleford series as well when that was shown on TV. House of Elliott was another favourite and I bought the dvd box sets for those as well.

Glad you are feeling better Michelle and I hope you start to feel better soon as well Lou. X

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NanaBubbles @Brightstar @Sunshinedaff

Hi Julie

Oh wow, I wonder who else your uncle and parents met. I adored Bernie and like you, I was devastated when she died. She came second to Darius in Popstar to Operastar in 2011. I thought she was amazing and really thought that she should have won - not that I was biased in any way of course.😉

Haha, if I had been your Dad’s friend I don’t think the spaghetti story would have seen the light of day.

Hi Michele

Oh what a rotten week you have had. It is lovely to know that we can help each other to smile, reminisce and share the way we do. I think your acrylic painting is gorgeous. Did you copy it from an existing painting or is it somewhere you have been? My youngest sister is a talented artist too and last time we were in Malaga, we visited the Picasso Museum. She copied one of his paintings and I thought it was just as good. A lot cheaper too.🤣🤣

Hi Lou

Talking about food, I was at MacMillan today chatting to a dietician and asking what I might do about my weight gain. She said that as I am on steroids, not much without starving myself, so I have just had two large Merlots, a packet of Hula Hoops and two jaffa cakes. If you cant beat them!!😉🍷

Hi Sezzy

You are very talented too. Looking forward to seeing your other two dogs. Are they different breeds?

Love to you all.

Rob xx

@RobertA

Hi Rob. Like you I thought Bernie should have won in popstars to operastars. She was amazing. It was soon after that, she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Apparently hers was quite a rare form that didn't respond to chemo. She was such an attractive woman and so sad to be cut off in her prime. 3 of the Nolans have ended up with breast cancer, it's obviously in the genes and must be a worry for them all.

Don't blame you having a glass of wine. I have had 3 glasses of a mince pie liqueur that M&S had reduced today. It tasted nothing like mince pies, I had to keep having another glass just to double check! 😂 😂 It was delicious all the same, but dread to think of the calories. But hey ho I'm not going to worry about that at the moment. I just want to get Thursday out of the way and then hopefully I can get back on track.

Have a lovely evening. X

Good evening all!😁

I still have the same glass of Merlot I poured hours ago! 😂

Julie and Rob you two make me laugh so much, is that half the bottle gone then Julie? Rob only two Jaffa cakes? I can eat the whole packet easily, I mean they are hardly a proper biscuit are they, you have to have at least 3 of them! 😂

Thanks for you good wishes, I am dosed up with a scarf round my neck to keep it warm, hot water bottle, and dressing gown on top of me, lol. Hoping it will ease soon.

I didn't watch the popstars to operastars programme, but I do remember when she became ill. It is weird how it runs in families...like mine!

I am going to look on TV for Mary Queen of Scots, Michele, I wanted to see that at the cinema when it came out, I just never seem to get there is time. So many films, too little time and money! 😁

Have a peaceful evening 😁

🤗🤗

Lou x

edited February 2020

@Brightstar @Sunshinedaff @NanaBubbles @jacksprat_x1 @PositiveLady10

Good afternoon lovely friends. I have only been to Cornwall once and it rained and rained except for one day when we visited the Lost Gardens of Heligan. We were keen to do so as we had seen a TV programme about them some years earlier and they were on our 'to do' list. We were captivated.

I have a new poem written by my great friend with whom I collaborate musically and though it is suitable to this thread, I have posted it on Julie's Childhood Memories which I think is where it really belongs.

Rob x

@RobertA @Sunshinedaff

Hi Robert, the acrylic painting was from a non-copyright photo on the internet and is of a place called Corpach in the Scottish Highlands. I have a lovely Scottish friend who has just had a significant birthday and grew up in Aberdeen, loving the sea, so this was her birthday present from me. She was very pleased and I was delighted that I could give her something personal.

I looked on Julie’s Childhood Memories for your poem but didn’t see it there - knowing me I am probably looking with my eyes closed so will go back again. However, lots of other interesting stuff!

Hi Lou

How are you doing today? Hoping your neck is feeling better! Also that your easel has arrived safely and you are pleased with it. Sending love and hugs!

Michele x

Good morning everyone,

The easel arrived, and I have made myself a drawing board using the delivery box as they are quite expensive to buy. It works really well! 😁

So yesterday afternoon I was able to do some more painting, my neck is getting better, and definitely not leaning down over a table helps enormously, thanks Michele 😀.

The only downside is because the easel is wooden and the board cardboard, certain creatures who shall remain nameless (😂), want to rub and chew the corners!! Grrr! 😁.

Interestingly I had a chat with my sister yesterday who is also going through cancer treatment, someone suggested to her she might like to try painting to help her recover. I mentioned the ones I was doing and now she has ordered some, and found an easel too, haha!

Looking forward to seeing other people's creative genius!

Lou xx

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 406 Community Admin

Good morning beautiful people,

I just wanted to say thank you for all your contributions so far, it's really heart-warming to see / read all of the above! ❤️ Such a wonderful community this is. Can't wait to see more.

Have a blessed day all,

Blanka x

• SandiekSandiek Posts: 4

Hi! I've just joined and found this thread (pardon the crafty pun!) I was diagnosed with breast cancer in Jan 2018 just over a year after my husband was diagnosed with bowel cancer. I had my mastectomy in Aug 2018 followed by chemo. My husband sadly died on March 2nd 2019, four days before I was due to start my radiotherapy! But I kept the appointments because I knew he would have wanted me to. Last November i had my other breast removed to become totally flat, and now my surgeon tells me there is no evidence of disease, I feel I can pick up my life again.

Craft wise I am totally into cross stitch, sewing and paper craft. Cross stitch became my safe place through all the cancer appointments. Here's a picture of the one I started just before my husband was diagnosed. Took me about 4 months to complete.

Hope to get to know you all soon.

• LesleyLesley Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

Wow! Have been reading all your posts! Blimey! has really brought me back to a happier place! You are all so talented, funny and such a joy to read your wonderful post! Has given me a good kick up the posterior, brought me back from feeling sorry for Lesley land!🤔 Love crafts in any shape or form! Got hundreds of different projects going on just need the staying power to get one of them finished! So looking forward to reading more of your post ! and Rob ,you are so funny! Love you to bits! 😁

Hi, welcome to our community.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss of your husband and your own cancer diagnosis. You have been through such traumatic times, I can only imagine how tough this has been for you. It is good news to hear you have finally had a good report from your medical team of NED. That is wonderful, but I am sure your heart will be torn as your husband is not here to share it with you. I hope your recovery is going well. I am so glad you have found us here.

I love your rabbit/hare it is so lovely. It is good to share crafting things with others, and I agree, it is such good therapy!

I look forward to seeing more of your creations. Everyone here is very friendly, and anytime you fancy a chat over coffee, come over! 😊

I hope you have a good day.

Lou x

@Lesley

Hi Lesley,

So good to hear from you here, we have missed you!! 😊.

I know you have lots of craft/arty talent, so come on....show us some. 😊

You know how much fun and laughter we like to have here. Anything that helps lift us, and remind us that life is for living, even though cancer tries to rob us of it.

I am so glad you are back!

Chat later

🤗🤗♥️

Lou xx

• LesleyLesley Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

Hi Lou! Yes going to have a rummage through my craft things later! Beautiful day here! Hubby keeps rushing outside cos the red arrows are practicing today ! They look spectacular against the blue sky! Oh! There you go! He's gone again!🤣Speak soon 😗

@Lesley

Fabulous! I look forward to seeing them!😊

🤗

xx

@Lesley

Hi Lesley

How fantastic to have a preview of the Red Arrows practicing in the sky above your house. They always provide the finale to the Jersey Air Display every September. It is a bit scary to think we will probably have left Jersey by then.

Looking forward to seeing your craft things. You are definitely not going to see mine.🤣

Rob x

@RobertA

Just an update. Work in progress, it's beginning to take shape. Rob you could do one of these! 😊

@Sunshinedaff @RobertA

Very impressed. Painting pictures is certainly not my strong point. Although I have done various paint techniques on my walls and furniture over the years with great success!

I do have a huge seascape picture in my lounge which I have had to touch up in lots of places over the years. My husband has said it has been retouched so much, that I should change the artist'sname on it to mine! 🤣

We have a real bad condensation problem, so the picture ends up with lots of mould marks that have to be removed. I then have to retouch what I have removed. You would never know though. I really love the painting and have never seen another one as big.

Julie x

Hi Lou that looks lovely! Its coming on well. Must be very satisfying. I hope that you are going to frame it and display it.

Julie your seascape is beautiful! John’s comment about you touching up and changing the painters name is funny 😆It makes me want to buy a little canvas and have a go!

Have a lovely evening all.

lv Jackie xxx 😘🙋‍♀️

Thank you ladies 😄, it is very relaxing. I said to the family when it is finished we will 'suddenly' 'discover' a lost Van Gogh 😂, under the guise he painted two of them😄. Do you think anyone will notice?? 😂

Julie, you are hilarious, touching up a painting, it reminds me of Mr Bean /Jonny English when he has to look after the Mona Lisa, spills something then tries to fix it😂😂.

Jackie, I encourage you to have a go, it is great fun!

Hope you all have a good evening.

🤗😊

Lou xx