Homeβ€Ί Cancer Expert Q&A Hubβ€Ί Cancer Coffee Break

[Giveaway closed] Show us your Christmas tree - and win a gorgeous gift box!

Comments

• BrightstarBrightstar Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

@Sunshinedaff @RobertA

ο»ΏHi Rob. Surprised that you are having trouble sourcing the Yellow Tail Jammy Red Roo. Maybe it's because I got the roo and red the wrong way round when I typed it in. πŸ˜‚I get it from Sainsburys or Tescos.

Perhaps it's a good job you can't, as it is very moorish. It's the only red wine I can just keep drinking on its own, as most red wines I only enjoy with a meal. It is fairly new though, so maybe its not reached Jersey yet!

ο»ΏI thought of you yesterday, as I went for lunch with a friend and I had a couple of glasses of Shiraz with my meal. Not had a shiraz for a while, it went down a treat! πŸ˜‹

ο»ΏCaught the tail end of Strictly. I see Anton didn't win. I know a lot of people were rooting for him.

ο»ΏHope your cats are behaving Lou and are leaving your tree alone!

ο»ΏJ xx

• LesleyLesley Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

Thought you would like to see my beautiful Bully! All dressed up for Christmas! Xx

Oh wow. I absolutely love it. Would love one of them myself. Is it a recent purchase?

• SueEvaMSueEvaM Posts: 32 ✭✭

Merry Christmas to everyone, wishing you all peace, rest and happiness for this Christmas and the forthcoming New Year, Sue

Hello Brightstar Thank you ! Bought him last year he was quite pricey but, I'd just started my chemo and was feeling quite low, bought him to cheer myself up! He was purchased at Doddington hall shop Lincoln, I have seen another one there this year, I'm sure they have a website! He stays up all year but not with his bells and Lights! 😊

Sue ,love your tree and good wishes to you too! Xx

I would leave him up all year as well. I will check the Web.

Sometimes it's nice just to treat ourselves, especially when we are feeling very low.

He obviously went to a loving home and I am sure he will bring you many years of joy 😊

Love J x

• jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Lesley,

nice to see you on here again.

I love your Bully! Looks great decorated up for Christmas!

I hope that your treatment is going well. It’s been quite a year of it! I hope that 2020 is a much better year and that you have a Wonderful Christmas! πŸŽ„

Love Jackie xx

• AnnruthcAnnruthc Posts: 1 ✭

A smaller tree needed less energy to decorate!

• jacksprat_x1jacksprat_x1 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭✭

@Annruthc

That’s a beautiful tree! Your right it does take a lot of energy to put the decs up! Something you take for granted. I hope you have a lovely Christmas and enjoy your tree!

Love Jackie πŸ™‹β€β™€οΈπŸŽ„

Stunning tree and a beautiful shape as well. Although we may not really feel up to doing our decorations, it is worth it in the end.

I know I just wanted to cancel Christmas this year, but so glad I haven't.

Have a lovely Christmas. X

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Annruthc @SueEvaM @Lesley @Brightstar @Sunshinedaff and everyone

Hi there. What lovely trees Ann and Sue. It must have taken a special effort to decorate them so beautifully and so worth it.

Hey Lesley. Bully looks fantastic too, but not sure he will be happy wearing earrings🀣

Hi J. You are such a positive and cheerful person and I am glad you haven't cancelled Christmas too. Mary and I will raise a very special glass for you on Christmas Day.

What a great thread this is. It is lovely to be able to chat about the joy of Christmas and to share our trees and friendships together.

Rob x

• SueEvaMSueEvaM Posts: 32 ✭✭

It is so lovely to see so many beautiful Christmas trees and decorations, and it is nice to know that you are all entering the spirit of the season, even though many of you are facing great difficulties. I agree with you Rob, this is a lovely thread and it has certainly kept me going with a little smile, I am amazed how so many of you have managed to get out there and enjoy some Yuletide cheer, God bless you all Sue x

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Annruthc @Lesley

A beautiful tree, I do love these trees with white lights on, they all look so pretty

Lesley I love Bully! Very festive!! Does Barney have a Christmas jumper?

I think for all of you having to be in the midst of treatments etc, and yet still find the inclination and energy to 'get into' Christmas is wonderful. Hopefully we can all encourage one another, maybe that is happening naturally as we all share here.

There is joy to be found, some things are very simple these days, uncomplicated joy. Delight in the small things simply because we all know how fragile and changeable life can be.

Oooer!! That was a bit deep! Only on coffee, promise!! πŸ˜„

Lou xx

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou

Haha, not that deep, but well said for sure.

Rob x

Hello Jackie yes back now, tough year , they have taken me off all meds now! Body had enough! Got to get my strength back to cope with all the food and drink this Christmas!😁 I will make my stoma like food and wine again !😈😁

Hi Lou yes Barney has a Christmas jumper he hates it! πŸ˜•I will send a photo if I can catch him! Xx

I love all the trees they are sooo pretty! Love the pic of you Rob! As handsome as ever! I'm only on tomato juice I promise!😚

@RobertA @Sunshinedaff @Lesley @SueEvaM @jacksprat_x1

Hi All you lovely people.

Getting quite excited about Christmas now. Not liking that it's murder in all the shops though! 😱

Lesley, I found Bully on Amazon When I saw the price I thought I had better leave it for a while πŸ˜‚ Hoping it might come up in the January sales, but if not, I will treat myself after Christmas. Maybe I will buy it to celebrate finally getting my breast removed! πŸ˜‚

I have now got an earlier date to see another consultant. I am seeing him at the end of the month, which is such a relief. I could not have mentally coped waiting till the end of February. Fingers crossed that I don't wait too long for my op now.

Hi Rob, I hope you and Mary do manage to come over to England next year.

It would be so lovely to meet up with all of you. It might take some organising but I'm sure it can be done. The hardest bit would be deciding where to all meet that suits everyone, I suppose.

You will be shocked to hear Rob, that I had a friend round for lunch today and we didn't have alcohol! πŸ˜‚ Thought I had better give my liver a rest now until Christmas eve! Well that's the plan anyway! 😊

Would love to know what each of you do on Christmas eve? I love going to Christmas Mass, but I do find it extremely moving.

I always do a buffet with different cheeses, continental meats, pates, olives, melted cheese, chips, apples, grapes and warm French bread. We always have champagne to wash it all down with. We then follow with a special coffee. Mine always has a Tia Maria in it, John goes for Brandy in his. I usually have some yule log with mine and John usually has mince pies with cream.

I'm rather hungry now after all that! πŸ˜‚ Off to raid the fridge! πŸ˜‚

Hugs to each of you and I really hope that 2020 will be a good year for you all.

Love J xx

Right Brightstar! I'm coming to your house!!!πŸ˜†Mother in law coming from Spain OLA! So not a lot of alcohol going on! She's as deaf as a post so lots of shouting and misunderstanding s ! I feel worn out already! 😩 😁

Yes you will have to get a Bully he's good company when no one else is around and he doesn't answere back,doesn't need mucking out and cheap to feed! πŸ€—

Well I thought as bulls don't have udders and I will be one short soon, we will have something in common! πŸ˜‚ I have to laugh or else I would cry!

You would be very welcome around my place. The drinks are always plentiful at my place, but don't tell Rob! πŸ˜‚

I have my mother in law round boxing day. Its always a great joy!! She is tea total and does not approve of alcohol. John and I get dirty looks if we are drinking, so we have to be crafty. I usually pretend it's sparkling water I am drinking. John fails to mention the barcadi that is in his coke. You get the picture!

You know what they say, 'you can choose your friends, but not your family' I am praying she does not bring her box set of Morecambe and Wise with her. We have had to endure hours of it practically every year. I think I know all the episodes off by heart. That does not do my street cred any good! πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚

Have a lovely day.

Love J xx

Oh! You sound so like me! Must have been my twin in a former life! So looking forward to Christmas this year! Rob and Lou saw me through the last one that was pretty dire! Love those two , don't tell them though , it's a secret! ☺xx

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 406 Community Admin

Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for your comments - it's so lovely to see all your Xmas decs.😍

We've picked a winner at random - congratulations @Brightstar!! Can you please send an email to [email protected] with your name and address so we can make sure we get your prize to you before Christmas Day?

All - please keep the photos coming.🀩🌲

Blanka x

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 406 Community Admin

Also just wanted to share this photo with you all - we had a Christmas decoration competition the other day in the office (guess who won, hahaha). 😁

Hi Blanka. Your decoration looks great. Very imaginative.

I have sent you my details. I was so excited at actually winning something, that I have referred to you as Bianca in the email instead of Blanka! So sorry.

Love J x

Well done Brightstar! See! This is going to be a lovely Christmas! 🍾🍾🍾πŸ₯‚πŸ·πŸ·πŸ·πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜„πŸ˜Š

Ahh thank you. It has certainly brightened my day.

First I get an earlier date to see my consultant and now this. Perhaps I should buy a lottery ticket now! They say everything comes in three's! πŸ˜‚

πŸ€Έβ€β™€οΈπŸ€Έβ€β™€οΈπŸ€Έβ€β™€οΈπŸ€Έβ€β™€οΈ

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oooh!!! Congratulations J!! Fabulous!

I think we will all be piling round yours on Boxing Day! Haha! Seeing as I live closest, I might just do that! Sounds delightful and delicious! Hahaha πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚, out the Bailey's in the fridge, nice and chilled please! We can put it in coffee, then no-one will know!!πŸ˜„ I can just imagine you and John slid down the radiator, sloshed!! Hahaha πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ ( in the nicest possible way!).

Listen, soon you can stand next to me, side by side we'll have a matching pair!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

So funny Lesley thinking of you as a twin.. snap!!

Morecambe and Wise! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚, So funny! Still this year we have Gavin and Stacy to look forward to. Can't wait for that! Hilarious, I am chuckling at the thought of it! πŸ˜„

I have been watching lots of Michael McIntyre clips on FB lately, he makes me laugh.

Lesley, haha, poor you, come and visit me instead!! πŸ˜‚

Blanca, loving the office decoration, clearly you have your mum's talent at decorating! πŸ˜„

Lou xx

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚Lou. I would love to see my mother in laws face at that one. Although you won't get all that food. That's Christmas eve not boxing day. Just a gammon joint boxing day.

I love Michael McIntyre as well. I love his send to all text that he does with the celebrities.

Looking forward to Gavin & Stacey also. I was a big fan of the series.

There are lots of good things on over Christmas this year. The new adaptation of Scooge looks good too. I never get bored of A Christmas Carol and I usually end up watching at least 2 versions. I have seen it twice at the theatre. Once with Antony Newley who was married to Joan Collins at one time, and the other with Shane Richie. Both were brilliant. The special effect were amazing.

It also would not be Christmas without watching A Wonderful Life!

Am I being mean if I tell my mother in law that our dvd player is broken! πŸ˜‚

Love and πŸ€— J xx

edited December 2019

@Sunshinedaff @Lesley @Brightstar @SueEvaM @jacksprat_x1 @Blanka_C and all those whom I have missed.

I was out with former colleagues last night. It is 15 years since we worked together but we still meet up from time to time. There are 6 of us and 4 of us are cancer survivors which has brought us closer than ever.

Haha J, I did have a glass of wine but finished with a pot of tea. So pleased you won the gift box, a sign of better things to come. No alcohol for lunch! Whatever next!! I love Anthony Newley who was not only very funny, but a talented singer songwriter. 'Feeling Good' is one of my all time favourites and there are so many other great songs which he wrote. Your Christmas buffet sounds amazing but I'm not sure that I would make it to Mass after all that. We tend to go on Christmas morning. Jersey has a large Portuguese population which is Catholic of course, and you have to get to the church early if you want a seat.

Haha Lesley, tomato juice? That's a good one but thank you for your lovely kind words. I am thinking that you and Lou saw me through a difficult time too and I love you both to bits - and Mary does too. I have never made a secret of my struggles with depression following hormonal treatments, and your lovely sense of humour and warmth, even at the most difficult times for yourself have meant so much to me.

Hi Blanka. Congratulations on your office decorations - it is easy to see why you won. I do hope that fire is not real though!!

Hi Jackie. I have found myself listening to Merle Haggard lately. I seem to be moving more and more to Country music. Isn't it funny how musical tastes evolve. I have left off the carols for a couple of days and I am learning to sing 'Thats the Way Love Goes'. I would love to hear your 'Chocolate Jesus'. You will be looking forward to a musical Christmas.

Hello Lou. We are off out again tonight. I am getting bigger and bigger but hey, it is Christmas and they are doing a special offer. Two dinners for the price of two.πŸ˜‚πŸ€£ Your Christmas will be fantastic too. Between you and J, the South Coast will be buzzing.

We had a house viewing the other day and the lady stayed a very long time and took videos. She has made another appointment for her Mum to see it in early January and they seem pretty keen. I think Mary and I are shocked at the thought that we really could be leaving our Island home after so many years here. Well, at least if we are in England it will be easier to see you all. drink your wine and eat your cakes. πŸ‘οΈxx

Rob xx