Home Cancer Forum What's On Your Mind Today?

A celebration...

Today is the first anniversary of the community forum. One year old. Congratulations to all at Live Better With Cancer Community Forum!!

It may seem strange to celebrate being part of a community designed to encourage and support people going through cancer or those with loved ones affected by it. But I feel it is worth it as I know I have felt encouraged, supported and helped since being here.

I for one cannot believe how fast the year has gone. I joined the community a couple of days after it was launched (as Sunshinedaff) and was immediately struck by the friendliness and openness of the members I came across in those first chats and discussions.

I have had the pleasure of getting to know many of you here, I have made new friends who are very special to me. I have had the privilege and honour to get alongside many, here on the forum, as they have gone through treatment, operations, tests etc, all manner of things we have to go through after being diagnosed with cancer. We have shared joy when good news has been received and tears when things have not gone as we have hoped.

I believe that all of us here, every member, has contributed in making our community a place of understanding, support, friendship, respect, celebrating good days and being there for each other on the bad days, and being there to help lighten the load if possible. We have shared a lot of fun and laughter too, finding the lighter side of life with good humour and grace.

Thank you to all of you,

Lou xx

Comments

• JerseyBobJerseyBob Posts: 61 mod
    edited November 2019

@LouiseJ

Hi Lou

Wow, guess I should have known that. One year already! Thank you for reminding us. I even forgot my own birthday this year - deliberately perhaps.🤣

I absolutely agree that the anniversary is to be celebrated. it has been a pleasure and a privilege to be a member of this community. It is full of courageous, caring and funny people, friends who are there for you when you are having a bad day and who celebrate the good ones with you.

I was struggling emotionally when I joined and it was a massive boost for me to find a place where I could talk about it without feeling embarrassed and knowing that I would not be judged.

Like you, I feel that I have made many very special friends who mean a great deal to me. So many have endured unpleasant and scary operations and treatments, and there are also the lovely partners and friends who support their loved ones through this awful disease and beyond.

I would also like to acknowledge the support we receive from @KarinSieger and @Untire_App who generously support us with their valuable time and expertise and add so much to the community.

I am sure that the adventure will continue for many years into the future and we will be here to celebrate a good few of them.

Rob xx

• KarinSiegerKarinSieger Posts: 95 Emotional Wellbeing Advisor

@LouiseJ

Hi Lou,

Is it already a year? I did not know this community is so 'young', because of all the activity that has already been established here. I know what you mean, in a way none of us want to be here, because none of us want to have the same reason to be here. But the reading, asking and sharing as part of a community can make such a difference.

Congratulations to you and all who have made it happen and continue to make it happen!

Karin

Karin Sieger
    Psychotherapist | Cancer Counsellor  | Reg. MBACP (Accred)

• KarinSiegerKarinSieger Posts: 95 Emotional Wellbeing Advisor

@JerseyBob

Thanks for the kind mention Rob and all you do here for the community.

Best wishes.

Karin

Karin Sieger
    Psychotherapist | Cancer Counsellor  | Reg. MBACP (Accred)

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 552 mod

@KarinSieger @JerseyBob

Yes, I just want to add my thanks too to all of our experts who have given their time, expertise and shared experience with us all. The Q&A sessions we have had have been invaluable, informative and have helped so many answering questions and giving advice. Thank you Karin for your continued support and generosity of your time.

Have a peaceful weekend,

Lou xx