Home Cancer Forum Cancer Coffee Break

Jersey Battle of Flowers

RobertARobertA Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi all

Hope you are all having a good weekend.

It is holiday season in our little Island and we have just had our famous parade of the Battle of Flowers. There are floats, dancers, bands and tonight we have fireworks on the waterfront.

Some of the floats are huge and 1.5 million stems have been used on them. At one time, flowers were dropped from a plane but last time that was done, a large bag of flowers failed to open and it fell like a stone and wrecked a classic TR6 sports car.

Here are some pics.

The floats were too big to get in my little camera, but you get the idea.

Rob x

Comments

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RobertA

Hi Rob,

They look amazing!

I can imagine the flowers being dropped from the sky, but can also imagine some poor person's reaction to having their car trashed by flowers!! Oops.

Have your relatives arrived yet?

Have a good weekend, just arrived in Saumur. Lovely white wine about to be ordered...playing cards until dinner.

Lou x

Here's me with the lads, the Muskateers as they are known as! Sorry @Anneb , Margy, I am one of the gang now! Lol😂

The other one is D'artanyan come back to life, couldn't crop the lady out.

Lou xx

• RobertARobertA Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou

Haha, good job that chap wasn't sitting in his car at the time. 💐🌷🌹🤯

What great photos - didn't know you were so little 🤣🤣🤣. You'd be a great foil for those guys anyway.

Cards, wine and dinner and where better than in Saumur. Enjoy.

The relatives arrive on Tuesday. I got mixed up over the dates for a change🤭. Cant wait to see them. Hope the weather holds.🤞

Speak soon

Rob xx

• AnnebAnneb Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

@RobertA

@Sunshinedaff

Hi rob and lou,

Wow rob, those floats are out of this world. The work and detail. It must take forever for such perfection. Wow.

My sister has been to your island and said it is just beautiful. Also the homes and battlements and everything is just beautiful.

Love the photo of musketeers lou. I am going to have to come over and see them so i can become a honorary member of the club too 💖💖

Love Margy 💛💚💜💖

edited August 2019

@Anneb @Sunshinedaff

Hi Margy and Lou

Ah thanks Margy, Jersey is a lovely friendly and safe place to live. How amazing that your sister has been here. We are just waiting for Lou to pay us a visit now.

it is also the 60th anniversary of the Gerald Durrell Zoo which was inaugurated to protect and grow endangered species. It is famous for its gorillas and there are 60 fibreglass gorillas dotted around the Island. We have a downloadable app which identifies all the locations of the gorillas. They all have different names and themes. Children love getting around and finding them all - must be a nightmare for Mums and Dads.

These two are in mundane locations in town.

The first one is Mr G Rilla a local businessman.

The second is covered in bees and is an apiary. 😂

Have a lovely week.

Rob xx

• LesleyLesley Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

Lou and Rob

Just seen your photos ! Lou you are definitely a legend! Love the photo! Girl power! Get it on!!! Rob ! Love the photo of you too! 😃

• LouiseJLouiseJ Posts: 555 mod
    edited August 2019

@lesley, @RobertA , @Anneb

Hi Lesley,

Lovely to hear from you! 😊

Rob's photos are great aren't they! Especially his gorilla impression, although he looks pretty tame and friendly to me!

Hope you have had a good weekend and not been too blown about by bad weather.

Chat soon,

Lou xx

@Lesley @LouiseJ @Anne31

Hello everyone

We have been out and about today. Pretty wet, but still warm. Mary is still taking pics of gorillas 🦍 Not sure what we are going to do with them all.

The family arrive this evening. Poor things love the beach and I hope they get some good weather.

Rob x

@RobertA

Evening Rob,

I expect you are now entertaining your visitors.

Have a lovely evening.

Yes, we have had rain here today, short rainy spells. Not sure the weekend looks too good here, hopefully you might have different weather to us!

Chat soon,

Lou xx

@Sunshinedaff

@RobertA

I stopped and took a photo on the way home from grocery shopping. Too pretty not to share with you💖💖

Hope you are both well. I am nursing a wisdom tooth out 2 days ago😷😷😷 one more next friday and finished ...lol... i hope...😲😲😲

Chat soon

Margy 💖💖💖💖

@Anneb ,

Morning Margy,

Wow!! That is so beautiful, stunning, natural beauty like this really lifts the spirit doesn't it.

I hope you are doing ok after the wisdom tooth being taken out. Afterwards can be so painful.

🤗🤗

Chat soon,

Lou xx

edited August 2019

@Anneb @Sunshinedaff

Wow Margy

That is some view on the way home from shopping. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry to hear about the wisdom teeth. Feel for you.

My sisters 76th birthday last Wednesday. She came over to Jersey with her husband, daughter and two grandchildren. After the lovely weather we have had it rained all the time 🌧🌧. Feel for them but it was great to see them all and enjoy a lovely meal together.

We are going to ‘Nights on Broadway, the BeeGees story tonight. Ah ha ha ha Stayin Alive. 🕺🕺

Chat soon

Rob xx

@Anneb , @RobertA

Hi Rob,

That is a lovely photo of you with your sister's family. I am so glad you all had a good time together, in spite of the bad weather which is a real shame.

Is the Bee Gees thing a theatre show? Wonder if it will be interactive and the audience can join in??! Get your disco shoes on!!

I remember when we went to see Mama Mia at the theatre a few years ago I found it very hard not to sing along with all the songs, by the end of the show towards the end I gave up and just stood up and joined in! Hahaha!!! Thing is I started a trend and loads copied me. It was brilliant fun! The girls were a bit embarrassed, but oh well. They got over it.

In November we are going to see Les Miserables, can't wait. H's birthday present that we all benefit from.. lol.

Bright and breezy today, after a shed load of rain yesterday.

Hope everyone else has some dry weather at some point over the weekend. Endless rain is so depressing!!

Chat soon,

Lou xx

@Anneb @Sunshinedaff

Hi Lou

My niece and the girls were disappointed by the weather. They have never had it so bad before and I think they will be going to Crete next year bless them.

Yes, the BeeGees thing was a theatre show. It wasn't bad and BeeGees music is always worth listening to. The second half was mostly Saturday Night Feverish and at that point, lots of the people in the audience stood up and really got going. Maybe you were there starting it all off😂😂

I love the music from Les Miserables. Wow, that is something special for you to look forward to. Will that be in London?

Bright and breezy here too today. We had a walk around the harbour this morning and stopped at a pavement café for a sandwich and a cuppa around 12.00. Watching the cricket on TV now. Chilli beef and vino for dinner. It's a hard life😉.

Rob xx

@RobertA , @Anneb

Hi Rob,

I can imagine how upset they were. One time we were in Brittany, it rained for two weeks, it was awful. We decided then to venture further south in future, as otherwise we may as well have stayed at home!

You can't help but sing along to the Bee Gees can you, such great music.

When Saturday Night Fever was released here, my friends and I tried desperately hard to get in the cinema to see it. It was x-rated, for over 18's, we were barely 14! Needless to say we were turned away at the door! Lol😂.

Les Mis is touring the UK we are seeing it at Southampton. It is a good theatre, we saw Mama Mia there too.

Bright and breezy here too, went down to the beach for a little stroll this afternoon. Your dinner sounds yum.

Have a good evening,

Chat soon,

Lou xx

@Sunshinedaff

@RobertA

Good morning

How are you both going. I am trundling along, day to day stuff🤣🤣 nothing very exciting. I will start packing in ernest this week from wardrobes and kitchen. That should fill in my days😂😂 before work.

So sorry to hear the weather turned for your visitors rob, but the company would have been worth it and a good catchup.

The bee gees and les mis would be great to go to. I usually go to the ballet but i did see Phantom of the Opera a while back. It was brilliant. Loved it and music was haunting.just beautiful..

Hey Rob, watched some cricket.....believe it or not...as not a fan at all. 🤣🤣🤣 do england always go the man like in our football or just crooked shots🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

No wonder we like footy. Looks like our team will play in the semmi final and hopefully the finals. Beau and i are Essendon and pete is Richmond. As long as they dont play each other, hate that.

I think Pete's team will win though, so beau and i support them too.

Happy family that way🤣🤣🤣 richmond is a strong brilliant team. As long as one of them win we dont mind.

Yes, we shop out of town at a satalite suberb, Thurgoona. Only about 8klms from where we live. Gorgeous little drive out. Scenery is just beautiful. It has THE best supermarket ever. Huge aisles and never feel cramped, even when really busy. Also the coffee shop has the best coffee🤣🤣🤣 which is a must ☕☕☕☕

Oh rob, i dont think i told you, we are selling our house ( which is on the flatter ground near the murral river) and bought one point 8 of a klm 🤣🤣🤣 up on the hill, so we will now see the river flats and murray river. As well as the mountains that have the snow...thats why we are packing🤣🤣🤣🤣

Well better go, i have books for our little bussines that we have besides our jobs 😲😲😲i wonder sometimes how we fit it all in at our age 😩😩😩must work quick 🤣

Love to you both, have a great week

Talk soon

Margy 💖💖💖💖💖

@Sunshinedaff @Anneb

Morning both

Haha Lou

Mary and I went to our favourite place, Estepona in Southern Spain for a month in March last year and it rained for three weeks solid. Whoever said "The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain" clearly wasn't in Estepona in March 2018.

Saturday Night Fever X rated. Wow, how times have changed. I'm (almost) embarrassed watching the modern female pop singers on TV. Now in my day!!🤣😂. We saw the stage production of Mama Mia in Manchester last year. Fabulous. Better than the film in my opinion. Love the music from Les Mis, lucky you.

Hi Margy

Bit of an Opera fan myself. We don't get much of that here in Jersey and I am looking forward to our move to Cheshire as there are lots of concerts as well as cricket and soccer in nearby Manchester.

You watched some cricket Margy? Well, it was a terrific game.Did you see Archer bowling at 96mph? He hit Smith three times and the third one was scary as he was hit on the back of his head in the same place as the Australian batsman Philip Hughes who was killed four years ago. Smith actually came back for more -what courage, but they decided he was suffering from concussion and withdrew him from the game. Not sure that sort of intimidation should be allowed, but your guys do it too🤣😂

Hey, we love the footy too. Mary and one of her brothers are Manchester United fans and her other two brothers are Manchester City fans. United have always been the top dog but now it is City. United fans used to call the City fans the noisy neighbours, but its all changed now. 😥

Yes, you posted some super pics of the river from your new house, I think🤔. How lovely, you must be very excited about the move. Haha, at your age? You are just kids😂🤣😂🤣.

By the way friends, I have finished my new song 'Happy Days' which I have now recorded. I am quite pleased with it though I can't see the Southampton theatre offering me a gig any time soon. I am planning my next song but not sure what it should be about. 'I Left My Heart In Hartlepool' (my home town) comes to mind. Look out Tony Bennett.😂😂🤣🤣

Rob xx

@RobertA

@Sunshinedaff

Hi rob and lou,

Well i have had a day off...not really, packing and vaccuming😲😲😲

I'm stonkered. At rest now before i start dinner. Luckily i made a chicken lasagne yesterday, so just pop it in the oven💖💖 i must have known something.

Yes we are excited about the move but just not the packing and move!!!!

It all happened here this morning. Hot water service went on the blink...plumber fixed it at 8.30am. Only a new pressure relief valve..whooo, thank heavens.

Beau had a call last night for a interview at 9am this morning for a Data Analyst, so organized plumber, took beau to interview, then back home to meet pete and bank manager at 9.30 to sign our lives away with the new house. Thank heavens he came to the house or i would have been in a pickle🤣🤣🤣🤣

Looking forward to going to bed !!!!!

I only watched about 15 minutes of the cricket and thats when steve smith got hit on his neck. That was enough for me !!! After losing phillip to that horrendous ball i knew why i watch footy and golf. Yes i agree all the teams do it and it is just so bloody dangerous with the speed that the proffessional bowlers throw at. I still remember watching shane warne and dennis lilly bowl......with my eyes closed😂😂😂

Your song sounds great rob, do you put it on utube or whatever the kids call it so i can hear it.

Well a cup of tea is calling me💖💖💖 i hope you are well and hapoy and healthy

Margy 💖💖💖💖💖

@Anneb , @RobertA @Lesley

Hi Margy,

You have got so much going on! Not surprised you are 'stonkered'( love that word! 😄).

Packing up a house is never a pleasure, no matter how excited you might be about moving! Lol!

It is all the little fiddly bits that hang around because they are required until the last minute.. haha! 😂

So I don't like football ( sorry Rob, Lesley!) and I haven't been watching the cricket either! The last sport I watched was Wimbledon!

How did Beau get on in the interview?

Perhaps you could offer to do the washing up at the bank to help pay them back?? 😂😂, Sorry if this is too obscure a joke! My sense of humour!

Managed to get some antibiotics for my tooth. Definitely an abcess, so booked in for root canal in September! I am not good at dentist, I think I am his worst patient. He is brilliant though, I told him he's not allowed to retire!! Haha!

Chat soon,

Lou xx

@Anneb @Sunshinedaff @Lesley

Stonkered. Doesn't that mean drunk 🥴? Haha, only joking.

We are getting rid of a lot of our stuff in preparation for our move though we haven't sold our house yet☹️. Loads of books and CDs and later it will be furniture, tv, piano etc. We are planning to downsize and buy an apartment in Cheshire which we can lock up and leave. It will be cheaper to get new stuff than transporting everything from Jersey.

If Beau gets the new job, will you put in for Manager Margy? It sounds as if you have enough on your plate already though.

Haha, not sure the song is that good though I have been thinking of setting up a youtube account. If you do want to hear it, I could send it to your email address. The file will be too big but it will go onto Google Drive and when you get my email, you can request access. I have never actually sung before this year, but I have been working with a singing coach and I am quite enthusiastic about it. Keeps me out of trouble.

Lou is a musician too and hopefully we will get together with Jackie @jacksprat_x1 one day and make some music together.

Haha Lou. I like your joke. Washing up at the Bank 🤣🤣.

Sorry about your abscess. Hope the antibiotics are helping. Why do you have to wait until September? Seems a long time. Weather looking up this week.

Stay well and have a good week both.

Rob 😘😘

@RobertA

@Sunshinedaff

Hi everyone,

How are you both going? How is your mouth Lou. Still sore i bet.

Yes i think stonkered does mean drunk but apparently in aust and NZ it is exhausted. Weird isnt it. Drunk to us is plastered...lol...

No i am not going for manager rob, those days are over. After cancer i do not ever want to have a position of worry anymore. I will leave that to the young ones.. let their nerves be shot from worry 🤣🤣🤣 just not into high powered positions now.

We won't find out about Beau's job untill friday or monday i think, so will keep you posted

Yes lou , it is all little stuff to be packed. Really annoying...lol...but has to be done. Not sure about washing up🤣🤣🤣 but maybe clean their offices , oh or their company cars 🤣🤣🤣good idea lou.

I will get pete onto it 😂😂😂😂😂

Tennis...now that i do not watch much of. Especially if Kyios (aussie) is playing. Now there is the best example of a spoilt, ignorant, bad tempered brat with no sportsmanship what so ever.

Feel better after that rant 😀😀😀

Our new little girl Ash barty is a sweety though. Hopefully will go a long way. Just wonderful personality and hard worker💖💖

Well better go and organise Pete's new job washing cars for the bank 😀😀😀

Hope you are both feeling well

Love Margy 💖💖💖💖

@Anneb ,@RobertA

Hi Margy,

Haha, much better idea, washing cars, cleaning the office!! I'm sure Pete will be sooooo glad you came up with that idea!! Hahahaha 😂😂.

Yes, tooth is a joy! Mmm, picture this...a hot water bottle strapped to my head! Lol! Meds have not kicked in yet, it's pretty bad. Where did I put the string and pliers????? I will have to resort to that soon if it doesn't improve... hahahaha 😂😂😂😂.

You are always allowed to rant here Margy!

Hope you have had a good day, have a good evening.

Scorchio ☀️ here again, hot weekend coming up!

Chat soon

Lou xx

@Anneb @Sunshinedaff

Hi Margy

Totally agree. No need to take a position of worry when you don't need to. I don't think I could actually do any job that involves stress or pressure these days anyway. Unfortunately, Mary does not think hoovering or weeding are stressful. ☹️

Oh Lou

Hope those meds kick in soon.

Wow, Friday already tomorrow. I meet a friend for lunch at our favourite pub at 12.30pm and we stay there for afternoon tea too. We will resolve the Brexit backstop issue, sort out the NHS, and fix the housing shortages. After that, we will get on to the cricket and football.

Have a great weekend lovely friends.

Rob xx

@RobertA , @Anneb

Good morning friends,

Rob, I am so glad you and your friend are going to put the world to rights, someone has to! Don't forget to let Boris know of your solutions! Lol!😂.

The only thing to be mindful of is not to let your discussions raise your blood pressure! Remain calm! 😀

HAHA, Mary is right of course! Out of the two I would much rather be weeding than hoovering, and don't mention dusting...I won't tolerate that language!!😂

You may have summised..I am going mad with the pain! Hysterical laughing now!😂

Margy, your weekend has started already, enjoy your evening! Is it still snowing? I cannot imagine that in August!

Chat soon,

Lou xx

edited August 2019

@Sunshinedaff @Anneb

Oh Lou

Why do you have to wait so long?

Haha, our discussions went well. We just want to get Brexit out of the way regardless as we would like something else to talk about. Well, we managed to stay calm about our discussions, but the cricket🤒😪🤬. At least we have the footy tomorrow.

We have an open house tomorrow morning so we are going out and wandering down to the harbour which has a cracking greasy spoon with outside tables. Bacon and egg butty for me🤪 and a huge pot of tea whilst we watch the boats coming and going.

Have a great weekend both.

Rob xx

• JerseyBobJerseyBob Posts: 61 mod

@Sunshinedaff @Anneb

Well, the cricket turned on its head. The most extraordinary day I have ever seen. Even more so than the World Cup final. Same hero too. Ben Stokes. That guy must be Superman.

Great evening at the Portuguese Fair last night. We have a big Portuguese community and they are such lovely friendly people - And, I love their Sagres 🍻

Rob xx

@RobertA

@Sunshinedaff

@JerseyBob

Hi Lou and Rob,

Sorry been flat out packing and have changed shifts at work by request of my manager. She wants me to learn 4 new department positions 😩😩 so start at 11am now and cuts into a bit of "me" time 🤣🤣🤣

I only have to do it this week thankheavens......i hope.!!!!

Anyway lou, how is your mouth. Have you had any relief. Did you get onto dentist today , end of day monday here , so guessing you are morning.

I am having my 2nd wisdom tooth out at 9 in the morning...yikes...got to go through all that again 🤣🤣

Gee rob, you are moving too. Didnt realise. I would hate to pack up a 3 story house 😲😲😲 1 is enough....do you pack yourself or have proffessionals to pack what you are keeping, to ship to the main land. Im guessing that is how to move on an island.

Well better go and start dinner

I hope you are well and especially your tooth lou

Love

Margy 💖💖💖💖💖

@Anneb

Hi Margy

Yes, we are looking to move back to the UK. We don't have any family here and we have decided to go to Cheshire (Nr Manchester) where Mary has three brothers, two sisters and many nephews and nieces together with their children. I get on well with them all and it will be good to be around them and to know that Mary will have support in the years to come though I am not planning to go anywhere for a while yet. 🤣🤣🤣. We will not be taking much with us as we plan to move into an apartment and buy modern furniture. We have been giving stuff away or dumping it for some time now. Don't think I am up to packing these days.☹️☹️

I do hope your wisdom tooth was extracted without too much discomfort.

Well, we are off to Cheshire on Thursday and we are looking forward to a change of scenery for a few days.

Hey Lou, I hope your tooth has settled down and you are getting some relief now. Trust you are enjoying the good weather - it will be September soon can you believe!

Love to you both

Rob xxxx

@Anneb , @Rob70

Good evening, good morning!

Just finished watching GBBO, always good fun. We realised today, that we mostly love watching cooking/baking shows or murder ones! Lol! 😂

Finally, for the first time in over a week I am not climbing the walls in agony. Emergency appointment yesterday and again today, have got new meds, and had some work to relieve pressure of infection on the bone!! Mmmmm... lovely! 😂. I am smiling now, but I haven't been.

Hopefully the meds will work now until the next appointment which has been brought forward now.

Margy, how are you feeling now? I hope you haven't been working after your treatment.

Rob, you are visiting here again! Soon we will meet! I hope you have a great few days in Cheshire. Will give you a break from packing. Are you going to be house hunting too?

I am sad it is soon to be September, as it means summer is coming to an end. I don't like winter. I need to emigrate.haha!

🤗♥️

Lou xx

edited August 2019

@Sunshinedaff @Anneb

Hi Lou

So pleased to hear that your new meds are helping with your tooth pain. Lovely to know you are smiling again.

I have had a little dip in confidence lately as a recent DEXA scan has indicated that my bone density levels are low. I have also had blood tests relating to cognitive impairment and will be having specialised memory tests. Both of these issues are fairly normal with people on my hormone treatments and the steroids don't help, but I guess I thought I would beat the system.

Well, our trip to see the family in Cheshire couldn’t have come at a better time and we are both really looking forward to it. We are having dinner at Mary’s sister’s house tomorrow and we have tickets for the Test Match at Old Trafford. Manchester will probably be full of Aussies and I am looking forward to chatting with a few of them Margy.

Enjoyed a jamming session with another couple of ageing hippy colleagues from MacMillan yesterday. We are going to write and perform a special song for the Christmas party. Christmas. Who said that already ?

Love to all

Rob xx